Anybody paddling the Valley Anas Acuta

or Tahe Marine Greenland T? if so what are your thoughts? I am loving learning the Greenland skills and want a kayak that would be good for that but would like to camp out of and do big water and crossing etc…

The Valley Anas Acuta was suggested but know nothing of them either. Does anyone know anyone that sells them in New England.

Thanks

on the search for the perfect kayak

is there such a thing?

I do
I love my mine, but it does have its limitations.

1st, a bit about me; 6’1", 185lbs. I removed the footbraces and foamed out the bulkhead.

I use this boat all of the time for crossings, big water, teaching etc, but not for camping. I suppose it would work for camping but it’s pretty low volume. It may work as a weekend boat if you go minimalist otherwise it may cramp your style.

regarding it’s suitability for Greenland rolling. It’s suitable.

Check the Valley Canoe dealer list
The Kayak Centre in Rhode Island may still sell the Anas Acuta.

I had minor experience with the Anas Acuta many years ago. If you are the right size and weight, the boat is very turnable and maneuverable. It’s low volume and was too tight for me at the time when I was about 175 pounds. I don’t know if expedition kayakers would consider it a good option for that kind of kayaking.

Anas Acuta
I have had an Anas Acuta since 1990. Except for fitness paddling, it’s still my favorite kayak for day use – not perfect but has lots of “character”.

The Anas is a bit too big to be a killer competition rolling machine and is a bit too small to be a killer expedition kayak (for my size, anyway 5’10" 175lbs).

But then, you can’t have it all in one kayak.

On the pro side: It’s maneuverable, lively, good in rough water, rolls easily.

On the con side: It weathercocks aggressively and is relatively slow (I hit the wall in mine at only 4.5 - 5 knots). Speed can become a real issue on long crossings.

I have gone on multi-week trips in my Anas Acuta, but you really have to pack well and be a minimalist – think like a backpacker and you will be OK.

If money is not an issue and you don’t want to go the SOF route, I’d suggest a Tahe Greenland for competition rolls and something like an NDK Greenlander Pro for expeditions (capacity and much better speed). If you can have only one kayak, the Anas Acuta is a good overall choice for Greenland skills.

If you want to see the Anas Acuta in use, Justine Curgenven’s first “This is the Sea” video has a chapter with me performing some Greenland skills in mine. That might give you some idea of its rolling abilities. I can do most of the “comp rolls” in the Anas, but for others, I need a lower volume kayak.

Greg Stamer

you can yell at me for this
…because I just posted a gripe about long answers to advice. But since you’re in NE, have you looked at Lincoln Kayaks’ Schoodic? I got to paddle one and it was compared to the AA. I really enjoyed it and it seemed effortless to roll.

Anas Acuta

– Last Updated: Aug-14-12 9:31 PM EST –

wetzool has one, I've paddled it. I'd be very surprised if it didn't feel too big on you in the cockpit for greenland skills.

I have other concerns about the Anas Acuta and you being a fit in terms of personality, but the longer post above says it better and from a more experienced base than I could.Check out the rocker on this baby (http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=843&boattype=Kayaks).

Same size issue with Greenlander Pro, and that is also a different kettle of fish from what you are used to. You really have to lay it fully over on that one chine for it to turn - it'll just sit there and not respond if you don't. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just may not be something you want to live with compared to a more rounded (literally) approach to turning via a rounder hull or a diamond chine.

Thanks everyone…
now i know why people have many different boats. It is becoming clear. I am still in Scorpio and i guess keeping it, but maybe a used boat just to play and have fun w/ for Greenland stuff is in order.

it’s a “turny boat”
…but isn’t the GPro built with more rocker than the original G?

could be but still a single chine
More rocker could mitigate but not alter the tendency of single hard chine boat to need to go onto the chine. Same experience with the ellesmere by boreal, seems turnier until you realize some of that motion is crabbing. :slight_smile:

ah. that makes sense
So a pintail must be even turnier than the AA.

word is that is the case

– Last Updated: Aug-15-12 4:06 PM EST –

But they are very related and it may come down to close opinions. I am too small for both so don't get the waterline that would tell the story for sure.

It is worth mentioning that when we met a fellow paddler to play in long boats at the runout of a class 2 river locally, he showed up in a Pintail. Had a ball in it - he is predominantly a WW gyu.

Greenlander std
The standard greenlander has a bit more rocker then

the pro model. Owned both, sold both but liked the

std model more, if it had a skeg I would of kept it.

I can imagine that
There’s also a good promo video from Sterling Kayaks, showing a paddler taking a Reflection thru class II whitewater. It makes me want to trade my safe but tame explorer and get something more fun!

Have them both actually…
I love my AA, Carbon kevlar, ocean cockpit, no footpegs, foam seat, custom buklhead foot pump… great boat, but it does weathercock a lot… still my all around boat. That said, for camping / touring the Tahe Greenland T is a much better choice and is just a easier ride all around. Nicer to edge / turn and keep straight. I am 6’ 1" 175 lbs. I fit both boats very well… I like a lower volume boat. Both,in my opinion, have good initial and solid secondary stability (your opinion may be a bit different). There is also a Pintail in the fleet and that I find to be a much more difficult boat to handle but it does have the stock seat so its a little unfair of a comparison as I sit a lot higher in that boat (also OC and no footpegs) does this help any ??? Also Kayak Center of Rhode Island is still the Valley importer, they most likely have some AA’s about.

how is the Tahe in rough water?

– Last Updated: Aug-16-12 3:02 PM EST –

I've long admired that boat but if it is easier than a pintail in rough water, then I'm even more intrigued!

Tahe in rough water
both models ride very low in the water (one reason they are great for greenland rolling and not so great for extended camping)

but not my pick for rough water.

• stern is frequently awash (less buoyancy). Harder to break stern loose when edging and turning.

• much less freeboard even used as day boat. More of the hull is underwater and gets slammed by wave action.

• w. much of hull buried, turning needs more effort.

If you live to surf, you gotta turn on a wave. the Tahes are harder to turn, and, once you’re surfing in, much more likely to pitchpole owing to the very fine and long low volume bow and its entry.

Can it be used in rough water? Sure depending how you define “rough” and how you want to use it. IMO you are working harder at boat control and response. With the Pintail turning is effortless & the boat is highly mobile and responsive. As is the Anas Acuta.

different boats excel at different things.