anybody using a trolling motor??

THANKYOU, CAL… you last sentance…
Says it all!!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

can’t help with tricks
I saw a couple of guys using trolling motors last summer and it seemed to be the ideal setup for them. They had to carry their boats 100 yards to the launch site on a medium sized river. They used the motor while they were fishing and could use the paddle to maneuver around trees that had fallen and around other tight spots.

Wade
I can’t remember exactly how he did it, but a friend of mine put one on a small kayak to use it as you intend. I know it was pretty easy though and that it had something to do with a small bracket he made up that went on the inside of the hull as a reinforcement that he could bolt the motor mount bracket to.

It worked great for fishing since he didn’t have to keep messing with his paddle all the time and could concentrate on what he was out there for, fishing.

Jack

Your killing me…again… LOL
Paddle boats have pedals that drive the paddles. They are often called pedal boats and/or paddle boats or craft.

Canoes and kayaks are driven by paddles, poles, sails, hands, and since the advent of internal combustion and electric motors; by power.

Sailboats can be sailed, sculled, rowed, motor driven, paddle-wheeled, paddled.

Skiffs, dinghys, coracles, rafts, etc. etc. can be powered by motors, sails, sculls, paddles, oars, poles, hand…

Yep, motor boats are propelled by motors. Be them steam, electric, Gas, Diesel, etc.

To say that paddle craft should be paddled is sort of narrow isn’t it?

Good points… When they make a…
“Kayak motor”, made FOR kayaks let me know. I might just think about getting one (after I turn 70). Until then I will leave the “trolling motors” on the front end of bass boats & other boats with the “factory installed” motor mounts.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Motors are for anyone and any craftt
I use a electric trolling motor on my Cobra Fish n Dive plus outriggers. After 2 heart attacks I find I still love to paddle but the motor is always there if I get too tired and really need it. I go solo and fish, camp and hunt alone in the Adirondacks. Some people may look down on setting up a kayak like this but I love this sport and refuse to give up because of health issues. Discrimanation takes all forms. I hate it when I see healthy people putting others down and making snide remarks about minor issues like putting motors on kayaks. May brands come with motor mount options and other can be adapted for them. So forge ahead with your motor and enjoy your sport!

Not exactly a kayak…
but they’re pretty darn close.

http://www.bobcatboats.com/

Wade,

The KFS site is a good place to ask. You might also try www.paddlefishing.com and www.texaskayakfisherman.com

No one over there will bust your ba11s for asking about a motorized kayak because they understand that it is a fishing platform first and a mode of transportation second. I’d bet that 500 years ago the Inuit’s who hunted and fished from their kayaks would have sold their wife for a trolling motor and a solar charger for the battery.

trolling motor? I don’t know, but a sail
has been used with kayaks for hundreds of years. I love my sail and look forward to a windy day (when all you purists are inside drinking “coffee”) The other day i sailed up a small river making about 2 knots against the spring runoff current, without paddling and while I was eating my lunch!

Whaddya mean, no tans?
They just go to the salon and BUY a quick tan! Goes with the safari clothing.

LMAO!!

used one on a canoe

A small trolling motor (12 pound thrust?) on a 17 foot aluminum canoe.

For accurate maneuvering … they are just about totally useless … and I mean annoyingly frustratingly USELESS !

… If you’re alone and have the motor side-mounted (at your side) and the battery near you in the stern … the weight distribution makes the front end of the canoe almost airborne …(I prob weighed 160 at the time) … and ANY wind at all makes the bow point downwind.

… an trying to maneuver in reverse - is also a royal pain … considering where the center of drag and the center of propulsion are.

… so I made some longer jumper cables and put the battery in the bow … and also used a 5 gallon plastic bucket dipped in the lake full of water in the bow for extra ballast.

… now that makes it a bit better … but then the manueverablilty is all based on pivoting around the bow (somewhat).

But that set-up is OK for covering longer distances.

Overall it was dis-satisfying for me.

It really sucks in windier conditions.

Two people in the canoe with a trolling motor is a little better.

… at least you have a paddle at both ends for manuevering.

… and the bow stays lower.

You probably should have asked this question on the “Fishing from Kayaks/Canoes” forum here.