Anyone consider using a boat tether?

Does anyone here use a boat tether while Kayaking. I think I may add one to my safety gear list. I have thought of using one but had always figured entanglement as a potential problem. However visiting the website for the National Center for Cold Water Safety I came across their recommendation to use one. Now I would not use one with a WW kayak or in the surf, but It might make good sense to have one on a sea kayak far from shore in rough cold water conditions (below 70 F by their standard). I do know that surfers use a tether on their boards, and some ocean surf ski racers use them, as do solo sailors. Does anyone know of an actual entanglement fatality while kayaking. I have read stories of paddlers separated from the boats. Staying with the boat greatly increases visibility for rescuers, and of course allows one to get back in the boat. I would love to hear your take on this.

Checkout this link.

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/Rule5.html#rule5Case2

First time I ran across a reference for this was by Chris Duff in his book On Celtic Tides. I thought that if I was solo, far from help that the security would outweigh the entanglement possibility. I did this on some Watertribe events., mostly to make myself feel better but you have to remember to unleash yourself when landing to go visit the bushes. Whoops!

I used my tow belt for this purpose.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I take issue with his comment that "For the record: you can’t get entangled in a short length of 9mm marine-grade elastic. "

This guy doesnt know me. I can get entangled in a shoelace, and I’m the world’s worst disentangler. I simply would not feel comfortable tied to my boat and I think for every occasion that it might come in handy there is another where it would be a liability. You might not get tangled in it but someone else, their boat, their paddle, a log or other debri might. So I would not use one but others may assess their own risks differently.

@qajaqman said:
I take issue with his comment that "For the record: you can’t get entangled in a short length of 9mm marine-grade elastic. "

This guy doesnt know me. I can get entangled in a shoelace, and I’m the world’s worst disentangler. I simply would not feel comfortable tied to my boat and I think for every occasion that it might come in handy there is another where it would be a liability. You might not get tangled in it (although I could) but someone else, their boat, their paddle, a log or other debri might. So I would not use one but others may assess their own risks differently.

No. I tried a paddle leash. Provided comic relief for others entangling while getting out at take out.

Here is the photo of the boat tether from the link I posted. Since it appears to be easily detached, and reattached it could be used only when the conditions justified its use. I also first read about using a tether in “On Celt Tides” when Chris Duff paddled around Ireland. I am not advocating this as I have no experience with using one. I do agree I would not use it paddling on rivers. I suspect entanglement concerns come mostly from river paddling experience rather than open water. The Inuit used long ropes on deck attached to skin bladders on one end and a harpoon on the other. I am not discounting entanglement as a risk. I am just trying to reassess using a boat tether as an added safety precaution.

I have often used a paddle lease so I can drop my paddle to take photos. I have near had it tangle with gear or me.I have had the plastic clip break and the Velcro come loose from the paddle so doubt it would hold in a capsize. Not to say it couldn’t cause entanglement just stating my experience with the lease I use.

Tried one for awhile. Didn’t like it hanging in front of me.
I’m also one who can get tangled if there is any possibility.

i would think you would want some kind of quick release in case you found yourself in a situation where the boat could pummel you (surf) or drag you

Hi Tony, I agree with that, and would have it at me, and perhaps at the boat as well. I wouldn’t use it in surf either. I also have a knife on my vest already for cutting loose if caught in something.

I keep a short paddle leash in my snack hatch or underdeck bag (depending on which boat I’m in). Used it once this summer while returning and a major storm started to move in. Unclip as I approach the shore. Once in a while I’ll also use it when switching paddles as I still haven’t mastered getting my two-piece Euro under the deck bungees quickly. Those drip rings always get in the way.

Hadn’t thought of leashing the boat to me. Might not be a bad idea in challenging conditions or even in calmer conditions when the water is icy cold and your fingers are going to go numb quickly if you land in the water. I don’t think I’d want both boat and paddle tethered at the same time. Something worth trying while practicing re-entries, just to see how it works.

Interesting. I’ll often attach my tow pigtail to my boat when I’m in the water doing self-rescue work or swimming my boat, but haven’t thought to do so while paddling. It’s something I’ll consider doing when out alone far, far from shore and risk of getting separated is high. There’s nothing else for me to purchase, just a different use for existing gear.

@string said:
Tried one for awhile. Didn’t like it hanging in front of me.
I’m also one who can get tangled if there is any possibility.

If you capsize in rough water and have to exit, it could get tangled around your arm…or neck. I have noseplugs tied to my vest so I can put them on if capsize becomes a possibility. They arent a risk by themself but that noseplug cord could potentially get wrapped around the leash. Too many ways for it to go wrong.

But the leash-no leash debate has been around for decades and will be around for decades more.

I have once had a wave rip my kayak away from me during a self rescue in surf. It was me being sloppy. Since then I have avoided being sloppy and have done self rescues in much bigger water without losing my boat.

So I suggest that one should first of all work on not being sloppy. If one still wants to use a leash, be my guest.

My advices would be:

• Try to keep one leg in the cockpit at all time during the capsize and while preparing your rescue. You don’t have to pull all of your body out of the boat after a capsize. This is something one needs to train.
  • Try to keep your boat upside down at all time during the capsize and while preparing your rescue. A capsized kayak has less glide through the water, so it will move slower, at least if the wind takes it. (A wave will probably not care about the boat being capsized or not).
  • Before you pull the last leg out of the cockpit, you should have a firm grip in the kayak. Preferably around a deck line instead of the cockpit edge which can be slippy.
  • Forget moving to the front of the kayak to do one of these fancy emptyings, unless you have really, really trained how to move along the kayak with a paddle in your hand without ever losing your firm grip in the deck lines. I guess this requires three hands to do properly, so I just avoid doing it.

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I am going to make a tether like shown in the photo and then see for myself how it performs by wet exiting and various self rescues before deciding if it is of value to me. I’ll try to see if entanglement is a problem. Yes I’ll have someone on hand.

I have handled rope for many years as a scout, hauling loads, and sailing, and know how easy it can tie it’s own knots and catch on stuff. A short length of large diameter stiff rope or bungee is much less likely to do so. I don’t really know how this will work unless I try it. Taking it out of debate, and putting it to the test. I have yet to have my kayak separate from me unless I intentionally let it go to shore when capsizing in shallow water surf, but then I know it can happen. I would use it except as potential insurance if caught it high winds far from shore. No I don’t plan on doing that, but Ma Nature makes her own plans.

@castoff said:
Thanks for everyone’s responses. I am going to make a tether like shown in the photo and then see for myself how it performs by wet exiting and various self rescues before deciding if it is of value to me. I’ll try to see if entanglement is a problem. Yes I’ll have someone on hand.

I have handled rope for many years as a scout, hauling loads, and sailing, and know how easy it can tie it’s own knots and catch on stuff. A short length of large diameter stiff rope or bungee is much less likely to do so. I don’t really know how this will work unless I try it. Taking it out of debate, and putting it to the test. I have yet to have my kayak separate from me unless I intentionally let it go to shore when capsizing in shallow water surf, but then I know it can happen. I would use it except as potential insurance if caught it high winds far from shore. No I don’t plan on doing that, but Ma Nature makes her own plans.

You might want to use a short nylon strapping instead of rope, coupled with a fastex buckle that can be released by hand, without resorting to knife (although one should still have the knife).

Personally, I don’t take absolute opinions about tethers. I use a paddle leash when I surf my waveski (I seen some using a board leash attached to the ankle). I have never had a dangerous entanglement of the paddle leash when trashed by a wave. I have had the paddle and thus the ski stripped from my grip my a big wave, after bailing. Sucks to take a long swim in cold water, in breaking waves, all by one’s lonesome… I have considered using a surfing board leash but have not quite gotten to that yet.

sing

Yes i had considered that as an option. I have buckles and climbing strap. I also have a hand sewing awl I use surprisingly often.
If I used rope or bungee I would also have something like a quick release shackle used for sails.

I’ve considered leasing mine but would rather loan them.

@string said:

I actually avoided this thread for some time, assuming that it was about some special US way of renting boats.

Paddle leash here even if Paddle got out of my hand kayak blows away a lot slower.

@string said:

Freedom Boat Kayak club?