Anyone else itching to go kayaking? (virus or not)

I could if the weather were not
monsooning
windy 40 mph to take power out for the second time in three days
Snowing
The virus has no bearing on my local paddling but the weather certainly does.

The itch is there but the weather is not cooperating.

Today we’ve had high winds (highest gust was 53 mph recorded by the NWS not far from me) and snow. Forecast is for some accumulation overnight. At least I didn’t put the snowblower away. Reports of three feet in some areas of the upper peninsula.

Remarkably the power has not gone out, but the night’s not over yet.

Sure hope it warms up. Cold temperatures help preserve that evil virus and keep it infectious.

Maybe by the weekend things will settle down.

We got more than a bit of that. Winds of up to 80 (cat 1) MPH were recorded at Blue Hill observatory. That is about 3 miles from my home. Anyway, our power went out for a couple of hours in later afternoon. I took that as a sign to stop working remotely. :+1: LOL!

sing

Got to play a bit Sunday, on a local river. Prefer the ocean, but the NC Coast is on lock down. Hope to hit the ocean waves, soon. This was up and back down winders, on the Pamlico River.

1 Like

Feelng pretty lucky down here in that the wind speeds yesterday weren’t quite as bad as the 60 mph gusts predicted.

Today was gorgeeeeeous! And a great paddling day!

Did you get snow? Three inches of snow greeted me this morning. County snowplow even went by. Temp is 27F. But the winds have died down, thankfully, as Lake Michigan took out part of the Little Traverse Wheelway trail along the bay.

medawgone “you got to play a bit Sunday, on a local river”, I really enjoyed your video but your idea of “river” is a little different than mine, not many rocks or strainers to avoid on your rivers.

Winter decided to revisit us- dusting of snow here in wv, so right now I’m not missing the paddling for the time being.

1 Like

I’ve been off-boat by doctor’s order while my knee heals, but as soon as I’m medically cleared to start hauling my kayak over rocky terrain I’m going to be straining at the reigns of this annoying virus concern. What better social distancing than the several dozen (or more…) feet between me and the shore?

All the community areas I know of are closed due to the virus thing though, so right now people are having to get creative to get on the water. A lot of them have been finding a pull-out off the road and hiking their boat down to the river because the parking lots are closed. It’s more work, but it’s still doable even while still making an effort at social distancing.

Today was gorgeous though a bit windy on the Biloxi River. I’ve never seen so many osprey. It seemed as though there was always 2 or 3 in view flying or perched during the 9 mile/3 hour paddle. It was a good day to explore near home on a quiet river I seldom paddle. Sea kayaks are perfect for social distancing.

Yes, almost everyday with my 12 yo son.

2 Likes

nice boof!

About twice a week the past few weeks, mostly eastern NC, Bogue Sound and then various rivers when it was windy. All boat launches I went to were open; mostly I had them to myself. Just don’t get yourself in trouble, further straining the healthcare system! Biggest problem was what I think was a gar, surfacing and slapping the kayak, startling me so much I nearly leapt out of the boat!

1 Like

IEastern NC is basically flat. Rivers like the Pamlico and Neuse, are 3-4 miles wide, with no rocks. They empty into Pamlico Sound. I prefer the Ocean Inlets, to surf. But a lot of the NC coast is on lock down; to non-locals. I am about 90 minutes, from the coast. Hopefully in May, I can hit Bogue Inlet to ocean surf. Only rock gardening in NC, is in the central to western parts of the state.

The health care system in Eastern NC, is not strained. It is dying on the vine. I work at the biggest hospital in the region. It is not, what you see on the news. ~350+ of our 900+ beds are empty. Contacts at other hospitals in various parts of the state, are in the same boat. Massive layoffs are coming to many in the healthcare, if things do not turn around soon. Then a real crisis will start, post Covid.

2 Likes

I think the healthcare systems are not strained because people are staying home… What happens when the summer tourist rush starts? That is the real issue.
Yah we got it now… now how much opening up can be done is the issue.
Read about the Spanish Flu… People were so bottled up that when WWI ended they all celebrated in masse.
So did the flu in its second wave

We had to wait until today, the ides of April, for the snow. Only about an inch though.

But other medical issues, are being ignored. They are not going away, just not being managed effectively. If this goes on to long, the real health care crisis will develop.It will affect more people, than the Covid issue.

Heart disease is a big deal. People with chest pains or arrhythmias, can not schedule a prelimanary cath or other cardiac imaging. All elective procedures and screening have come to a halt. Thus, you will need to have the actual heart attack, before having a cath. Thus something that started as chest pain, could of had a preventive procedure. But not now.

In our area, high blood pressure and diabetes are real issues. But DRs offices are not seeing patients. Being cooped up and stressed by not working, BPs will get worse. Diabetes will get worse. Not managing these, will lead to increased risk of stroke , heart disease , renal disease and a premature death.

We can not stop the world; because of a virus, and let everything else go to hell. .

5 Likes

Three of us have been paddling a couple of times weekly throughout the winter in MD, the Susquahana and VA. My one paddle buddy however is too nervous go out of MD now because of the Governor’s latest orders so we stay in MD. Plenty of places to explore!

I drive from the West Virginia panhandle to lots of different put-ins, mostly boat ramps. There are usually other folks there, but it’s not hard to keep to yourself. Some people are more paranoid than others, calling out ‘social distancing!’ when you are still 30 feet away on the water, but most folks are cheerful and upbeat. Lots of fishing both from kayaks on from shore.

Yesterday on the Patapsco River and Balto harbor it was eery though. No other craft except one harbor police boat and a couple of tugs. We’re so used to having to watch out for speed boats, yachts and freighters. We actually paddled IN the channel for a bit just because we could! Would never do that on a typical day!

I bought a house on the canal leading to Lake St. Clair in December and visiting neighbors on the other canals. Our put in at 11 Mile behind the library was totally empty on Saturday and the port-a-jane was open, thank the goddess!