Anyone ever use these to tie down a hull

Did Someone Say…

– Last Updated: Mar-12-15 8:13 PM EST –

..."the trucker's hitch?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHgGK-tImY

that’s not my recollection
I coined the phrase “rope guy” not for people who use rope, but for people who think rope is the best solution and pretend that only strap users are careless.

They both work fine.

(yes but straps are expensive! and they rot when you don’t take care of them! and they don’t make coffee!)

there you go
My ribbing aside - They work for you. That’s great. Another option in the arsenal isn’t a bad thing.

Yea - and the other thing is
my strap and buckle friends sometimes get all defensive and lack a sense of humor! :slight_smile:

cam buckles

sewed onto AAA strapping are backed with a fabric pad for no contact with boat. NRS straps are backed.

In practice, the metal cam is airborne between hull and rack. The strap then is tied securely to rack after the cam action squeezes around hull to desired torque. The cam action squeezes…this is the action. Pull and set to desired torque.

The cams are used for lateral placement not fore and aft which is roping to eyebolts.

strap guys are pretty dense
Subtlety is lost on us. :wink:

exactly.
You and I may be the only ones here who’ve noticed the backing.

swing both ways
Actually, I use both. Pair of straps over the racks, pair of ropes to the bumpers. And the ropes sometimes get used to fasten stuff to the rack. I have a small duffel that is packed with various straps and ropes - used to have 7 boats and often rigged friends’ cars to haul them when I shared the boats with others.

I’ve got two pairs of Thule straps (both came with used roof rack components I bought on EBay.). But regardless of cost I would buy replacements if I ever lost them. I agree that most other straps do not inspire my confidence. Once I’ve used all 4 Thules, I will use 3 cheaper straps on the next boat because the hardware and strap material are not as rugged. Some products are well worth spending a few more bucks…

Back to the OP: the rope tightening widgets do intrigue me and I think I’ll get some.

shrink ?

a problem solver but rough in the switch backs

http://goo.gl/CRKUkf

lonely ? this is one solution.

rope
rot is difficult to see and/or inspect. Strapping is thin woven synthetic cloth where disarray is obvious.

My searches for: kayak road vehicle accident or several variations thereof…do not yield ‘kayak leaves roof kills groundhog’ stories. None.

DODGE IS
engineered by the Devil

I will at least answer your question
no

lets not jump
to conclusions…eyehhahaha…minus an eye or two.

But after laughing, I thought…but the elves are busy ?

of course, and down in the injection molding room:

http://goo.gl/DeIu3R

I bought a selection from Seattle Fabrics hardware 7 years ago.

Once or twice a year, there’s a need for a device and LO ! there they are in the Sew Box

What’s in use on big rapids guide rafts ?

Only if the metal was recycled out of
a dead Chevy…

O. P. reply
Thanks all, even the superfluous posters for the feedback. My history with tie down is one of empirical and practical lessons. In the 70’s I owned a 80 lb. Grumman aluminum canoe. I tied it to a rack on a Ford Bronco using nylon rope only on the hull with no stem ties, until one windy rainstorm in which I had to slam on the brakes and found my canoe on the hood of the vehicle. So, enter stem tie downs and polypro rope which does not stretch like nylon. Then I discovered straps with cam buckles. This lasted a long time until a friend lost a very expensive wood and canvas canoe off a trailer due to cam buckle failure. So, back to ropes with Truckers Hitches. Problem is, I’m short and have a tall vehicle so Truckers Hitches become a time consuming burden. The tie downs under discussion look like a great solution for me, but only one poster has good experience so kinda still wondering. These seem a bit pricey for the ¼ inch, as I carry 2 canoes that would mean 4 of them. I’d hate to have a canoe fly off my vehicle on the interstate. Guess I’ll wait for more positive feedback.

Step stool
Just throw a step stool in the back.

Dear rpg51…
Thanks for taking time out of your busy life to offer such a simple and elegant solution, and while appreciating the effort, must add that this approach is unfortunately counter to my original concept which is to reduce the number of items and steps involved in the tying down process and thereby mitigate the hassle.

Eternally Grateful,

Pag

Sorry - didn’t mean to be flippant.
I understand the problems tying on tall vehicles. I have the same issue. But I guess I don’t see how this gizmo is any different than a truckers hitch in that regard. It just replaces the loop you form using rope with a metal gizmo. Seems to me you would still need to reach up to put the tag end through the metal gizmo just like you do through a rope loop.

Faster On and Off And WILL NOT…
…come loose unlike knots

yep
It looks a lot faster and easier, but I don’t see enough history in this thread to be convinced of reliability. If it were a bit less costly I might be tempted to give them a go.

Pag