Anyone here ever kayak SE Asia, specifically northern Vietnam, Laos, or Cambodia?

I’m considering a trip there in the next year or two. I think sometime between November and January would actually be pretty nice. Temperatures seem to be more tolerable, with not as much rain. There’s certainly no shortage of rivers!

Weather info:

If I go, I’d like to just hire a guide and do my own thing, not deal with a structured paddle tour.

Anybody here been to any of these places?

I did a day paddle on a tributary of the Mekong a bit upriver of Luang Prabang, Laos down to Pak Oh caves, and then down the Mekong toward Luang Prabang last November. Guided trips on double sit on tops. Interesting to do. Temps were hot. Saeng at www.happyjourneylaos.com put this together. His English is excellent, as is his local knowledge. He could likely set you up with a longer trip in the Luang Prabang area, if you wanted.

I had heard about http://www.paddleasia.com/ from some others, and suggested it to some non-kayaking friends who did it and they had a great time. Might only be Thailand, though.

@Peter-CA

Great, thanks Peter!

There is a paddler on here by the screen name Paddletothesea who has been to Thailand and has some information. Said Ko Yao Noi is the place to check out.

Sounds like a great trip, I’d love to try it out on an inflatable paddle board.

@Johnnysmoke

Thanks!

Johnnysmoke— That would be me and that is in Thailand. I did the coast solo to the Malaysia border–island hopping the whole way for a month.
I have some info on the Mekong through Laos. Been on a power boat down a couple hundred miles. If you do a google search there are a couple people who solo kayaked down to the Capital of Vientienne. Some major challenges but doable. Do your research.
Have not paddled in Cambodia but have traveled there.
Northern Vietnam I’ve kayaked in Halong Bay. Can be crowded but still nice.
If you want remote, adventure, meeting locals, on your own, I’d go down the Mekong.

@paddletothesea said:
Johnnysmoke— That would be me and that is in Thailand. I did the coast solo to the Malaysia border–island hopping the whole way for a month.
I have some info on the Mekong through Laos. Been on a power boat down a couple hundred miles. If you do a google search there are a couple people who solo kayaked down to the Capital of Vientienne. Some major challenges but doable. Do your research.
Have not paddled in Cambodia but have traveled there.
Northern Vietnam I’ve kayaked in Halong Bay. Can be crowded but still nice.
If you want remote, adventure, meeting locals, on your own, I’d go down the Mekong.

Man, that sounds amazing. I may have an opportunity next year to teach in Laos for a few months. If I can make it there, I would absolutely want to take a trip down the Mekong. I have my inflatable setup pretty dialed in now, I would love to take it there.

I spent a few years in Asia in my 20s, really enjoyed my time there. Without exception, I found that people in areas that didn’t see a lot of Westerners were very welcoming, friendly, and curious to speak with me. Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos weren’t nearly as accessible then (the early 80s) as they are now, so I’ve thought a lot over the years about visiting there. For an aging cold warrior like myself, it really warms my heart to see that Vietnam especially is so popular that they seem to have become somewhat jaded by all the young backpackers, lol.

Any advice or stories you want to share on your time in Laos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for responding!

Paddling Magazine lately posted an article.

https://paddlingmag.com/trips/destinations/paddling-vietnams-dragon-bays/?fbclid=IwAR26Ob9R9MuTzVPxkPzMJb0eZySkNymnnVbqV7jmHQpcO02NMUDOImoZpp8

@Overstreet

Good read, thanks! Ha Long Bay looks like a beautiful place, sad to read about the trash floating in from China.