Anyone know of a tripping outrigger cano

Somewhere, a Hawaiian god…
just died. Amas go on the left and the left only, at least according to the culture that invented them.

Now why would the Hawaiians
be dogmatic about something like that? Why would first-class seafarers insist on rigging the ama on the left if rigging it on the right made more sense for the conditions they were expecting? I believe that if you do some research, you’ll discover that the “always on the left” thing is something your canoe club drills into newbies, nothing more. I don’t recall for sure, but I’m reasonably certain that folks who are serious about canoe surfing routinely set the ama up on either side depending on the break, and for sailing you’d have to be more flexible than just single ama on the left all the time.

don’t have a club
and got my info. straight from a hawaiian. also, i’ve NEVER seen a OC-1 in any big race that had the outrigger on the right. the post was more of a joke, but also based in tradition.

thanks for the great links
i always enjoy your photos. and that ulua looks verry interesting. reminds me of a classic illustrated book i read in high school.‘Call it Courage’.mafatu is one of my heroes. i’ve been thinking about a stripper project, and multihull sailing is a big part of my life. your oc1 is very beautiful.

Marek. Finally got my old data back.
Here is the reply I got from Michael Fekete on the Albatross:

Hi David,

Thank you for your interest in the Albatros.

Dimensions:

length overall 21’6" waterline length 21’2"

max width at cockpit:16" waterline 10"

length of ama: 110"

adjustablity of the iaku - horizontal: (distance between OC and ama) 34"-40"

at OC

Adjustablity vertical: 4" at ama