Anyone paddle the Uwharrie River?

I went hiking through the Uwharrie National Forest last weekend…it was a nice walk through the woods. Didn’t see anyone for the entire 2 days I was there. I guess the hunting is over and all the forestry service roads are closed to traffic this time of year.

Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/bxlde

I noticed the Uwharrie River cuts through the heart of the forest and was wondering if anyone is familiar with it? Looks like it might be a fun 2-day trip if it is navigable all the way down to the lake.

Regards…

BeachAV8R

uwharrie river
i’ve floated the uwharrie on many occasions. depending on water flow it is either a quick ride or a bump and thump. it is a typical pool and riffle river with better than average scenery along its length. there are a couple of low bridges that you’ll need to portage around but no real obstacles. as to camping, you’ll need to be careful as the ownership along the river is a mix of federal and private lands. the river empties into lake tillery just a little ways above morrow mtn. state park (a good take out). if you did not want to go all the way there are numerous places to take out before the terminus of the river. i’ve never had any problem with vandalism of a vehicle, but i’d definitely say the potential is there as many of the accesses seem to be “party” sites. there is good fishing with a real mix of species. hope this helps. -harry

Thanks for the info…sounds like a fun trip in the spring perhaps… :slight_smile:

Regards…

BeachAV8R