Anyone paddled an Old Town Next?

that’s crazy for a tandem

– Last Updated: Feb-20-15 10:05 AM EST –

We have tandem canoes down in the mid 30s, solos well under 30 and solo pack canoes under 20 pounds. I appreciate OT has designed a moderm, tumblehomed pack canoe hull and tried to outfit it to modern standard, but the hull material is way, way, too heavy as is the 6lb seat; Next is "SuperSized", roughly three times the weight of it's competition.

Next
Still no, they don’t exist.

??
Mike Aronoff of ACA Instruction told me he has one.

the post above yours is not
credible… Several have seen them

It’s not competing with $3000 canoes.
More like the 60 pound fishing SOTs.

As I remember

– Last Updated: Apr-08-15 1:54 PM EST –

Next is a pack canoe by design, with low seats and foot braces, meant to be paddled with a double paddle. I don't know Next's MSRP, but Adirondack Canoe Company, Hornbeck and SlipStream all make pack canoes $1000 to $1500 that weigh below twenty pounds.

$999 for Next.

I’ve touched one…
…but didn’t paddle it. Can’t remember if it was the “Barney Purple” or “Key Lime” version.

I couldn’t get the dealer to bring one to our demo day earlier this month.

Next
I ordered one from Austin Kayak it is being delivered tomorrow. I am use to using a Hobie Mirage Adventure 16ft with pedal drive so this ought to be an interesting transition. I live around a lot of lakes and want to take my dogs with me so I will give it a try asap and get back on here and give it a review.

Touched One Yesterday
Sure was a purty color of blue, but felt as heavy as my royalex Wenonah Prospector 15? Seat and foot braces look very comfy, but the wife and I noted that keel down the middle, not a good feature for bumping rocks and logs on rivers. Still in all, it looks like a significant step up from the Pelicans et al you find in the big box stores?