Anyone paddled an Old Town Next?

Doubt 64#
I easily lifted the purple display Next off the stands.

If it weighed 64#, then my weight training is really paying off. But am pretty sure I didn’t lift 64#.

It’s actually about 55 lbs according to
the Old Town rep that responded here a month or so ago.

Bob’s just poking OT in the eyes for the fun of it.

The NEXT listing in REI claims 49 pounds
but having owned a canoe of about the same dimensions, and knowing the NEXT material, I’d say 55 pounds is a safer estimate. If they go under that, the hull will be too flexible.

the NEXT
does not exist.

Why do you say that?
It’s advertised at REI, along with the ORU kayak.

Seen them…
Florida Bay Outfitters has some…

it exists

– Last Updated: Dec-25-14 11:10 AM EST –

The Next is alive!

A variation on the 150 year old Adk Hunter/ Pack Canoe theme where paddler sits low and used a double paddle. It is a little longer than most for better forward speed and tracking, has tumblehome to improve shaft verticality for more efficient strokes.

Bob McDonough's hull shape is sophisticated but compromised by OT's predilections and the triple dump material used. The outfitting is better than some pack canoes, worse than others, the seat looks heavy and the backrest needs rethinking, we don't want abrasive contact with our backs when paddling, but they're nice when resting.

The larger issue is the hull material, which makes the Next the heaviest pack canoe, the range being 10 lbs to Next's 55.
Next legitimizes tumblehome and touring length in pack canoes and should prove useful for those who don't have to tote it far. Nice entry level pack canoe!

Bob McDonough
Bob was director of design at Perception Kayak from 1990-1997 and had a hand in design of many or most of their whitewater play boats of that era.

He was also a top whitewater kayak rodeo competitor of the late 1980s and early 1990s, inventing the McTwist and some other rodeo moves of the time.

Here is a photo of Bob popping a big ender in what looks like a Mirage:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qpv4H9xRWCA/UL3cHDJK0ZI/AAAAAAAALJU/OOqjwqRX4ss/s1600/Bob+Mc+Donough.jpg

Well, I THOUGHT You had a Review

– Last Updated: Jan-03-15 5:47 AM EST –

But it's another one of those reviews by someone who's never paddled the boat they're reviewing. Geesh, wait until you've paddled a boat to review it:
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=3603

Picky !!!

– Last Updated: Jan-04-15 2:20 PM EST –

Don't be so damn picky............

At least now you know that the color co-ordinated paddle looks "real neat" with the canoe. That's a feature that might make the difference in helping you decide whether to buy a Next.

Has me wondering.............
If you don't use the color co-ordinated paddle; will the handling, speed, stability, or maneuverability be compromised?

BOB

You’re Right, Bob
Color coordination is essential in a review (LOL)!

Coordinated
I wish my boats coordinated with my carbon fiber paddle…

We have a demo day in about a month, I’ll if the shop will bring a Next. Maybe I could tie dye my Tilley to super coordinate.

Seriously
Seriously, I wish a couple of experienced paddlers would find, paddle, and post a review of the Next.

I personally have no intention of buying one, but am curious.

I’m to the point that I don’t really have room for more canoes, and can’t think of any I currently own that I’d sell to make room for a Next.

I’d rather have a really nice, original River Flashback 1st model, or one of the composite versions by Millbrook.

BOB

next
no.

new year makes fat
49 lbs, than 53 lbs… Look at http://issuu.com/johnsonoutdoorswatercraft/docs/2015_oldtowncatalog In 2015 the Next is 59 lbs!

Weight

– Last Updated: Jan-09-15 5:32 PM EST –

The best 13 foot pack canoe, Placid's SpirFire 13, weigh ~20 lbs, That comparison with Next tells us most of what we need to know about the boat. Next is a brick! A little heavy to tote by itself, and then there is the seat apparently requiring another two trips across a portage. It is neat to have a major builder "endorse" the pack canoe market and include some advancing features like tumblehome and footpegs, but the materials used are problematic for pack canoe use and build quality is marginal compared to other market offerings.

At least that is a believable weight
for a 13 foot long triple dump poly rotomolded canoe that is thick enough to be reasonably durable.

But don’t be surprised if it is a couple of pounds heavier in actuality. Most Old Town poly canoes are, in my experience.

Anyone who thought this thing was going to weigh under 50 lbs with the seat was either dreaming or over/under medicated.

It is a limitation of the material and manufacturing process, not necessarily the design. You simply are not going to see triple layer polyethylene canoes of that size that are not heavy.

this boat is a bit like me,
fatter and fatter! Started with 49 lbs, than 53 lbs http://www.paddlenext.com/ and now 59 lbs http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/next/

Here in Germany the price is fatter and fatter too. At first 1350 € and now (before the Next is seen in Europe) 1475 €.

I like my OT Penobscot 16 and my Discovery 119 but the Next will be too heavy when the weight may be 67 next month…

Good luck Old Town!

59 lbs is insane for 13’ canoe.

Barney purple Next
still on stands in the same spot at the same store. The ersatz Christmas gifts were removed so I got a chance to look at the seat and foot braces.

The foot braces are identical to the ones installed in my Necky Rip. The left brace gave out less than three weeks after I bought the Necky.

Still think it’s cute - but I’d never buy one.