Anyone use fiberglast.com as a resource

when preparing for glass, kevlar or gel repairs or projects? http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpages-Learning-Center-286.html

Steve at QCC suggested it to me a couple weeks ago and I’m just getting around to checking it out - the weather’s just now getting warm enough for me to try the gel work.

Enjoy the site.

Yanoer …
… what are repairing , a fiberglass boat ??

Gel repair on QCC 400X.

I guess the thing is …
… I don’t know what a QCC 400X is ?? … is it a fiberglass (polyester resin) boat with a color polyester gelcoat ?? … there’s should be plenty of guides on the net for simple patch and and buff out of gel coat … if it is fiberglass boat , then it’s gelcoat is same polester resin (fiberglass) that was hardened with MEKP hardner in mould … if fiberglass gelcoat repair with new (color) gelcoat patching , the surface needs to be prepared and sterilized before mixing MEKP hardner and resin (gel) , sterilize with Acetone and paper towels (evaporates quick) … if you want I could find a good link guide after reviewing and give it to you , no big deal …

This is a QCC 400X.
http://www.qcckayaks.com/kayaks/model.asp?model=q400x

Mine is kevlar.

OK Yanoer , I took a look …
… at the site link , QCC says they use vinly ester (instead of poly ester) as the main construction component for the hulls (vinyl ester is tougher and better) , and use Kevlar@ , fiberglass , carbon as reinforcements (structural) … I put a call into them to ask a few questions about the gelcoat and left my number to be called back (when ever that will be) … my guess is it’s standard proceedure repair gelcoat (MEKP hardner and vinlyester resin , mixed) … if I can talk with them there’s no doubt in my mind I’ll know what the proper mix ratio and proceedure to repair are , that’s all I can do from here at present for you … by the way , I’ve never been in a yak , but that QCC 400X and their promotion stats sure makes it look tempting !! … and as for what’s his name on the other post , it’s still highly possible he might know what he’s talking about too but what I know is that the MEKP hardner is the standard catalyst mixed with polyester or vinly ester resin to effect curing (hardening) and open air is the norm …

OK Yanoer here’s the results …
… from the phone call to QCC … I spoke with Steve and I recomend you call him also at QCC - 888-794-3887 … the results are as follows , if you purchased your gel coat and hardner from QCC , they have given you a gelcoat resin that does not have any wax additive (surfacing agent) but you still do not need or want to cover with any wax paper or anything else , although when cured there will be a slight tacky feel on the surface (which is normal for gelcoat without wax added) … the tacky film will be sanded away immediately when finish sanding prior to buffing out just as the wax film left on surface is sanded away with wax-added gelcoats … the preperation , applications and finish sand and buff are identical to standard gelcoat repairs on fiberglass (polyester)-(do not put wax paper over repair , let air dry) … in all actuality , all QCC boats have a fiberglass layer (woven cloth I think Steve said) directly under the gelcoat , this fiberglass layer is the last laminate in the series with the Kevlar@ laminate under it (next) … there are a number of questions regarding the nature of your repair needs that I can not answer without further info. from you because I do not know the extent of the damage … you may desire to spray the gelcoat on the repair area in successive layers building up to final layer coat , this is what I would do … RC hobbie stores have miniture sprayers that use canned air canisters with removable glass jar that the mix goes into , these sprayers are for relatively small area work and will perform just like a large sprayer making detailed thin layer build ups perfectly on small areas (consider them and ask Steve what he thinks about using one that way , I didn’t ask him myself about that) … if you were going to use a gelcoat with wax-added in it , that would good for a single layer patch , or you would have to let cure and remove away the wax surfacing agent before applying another coat … if you still are a little confussed or need further assistance , I will help anyway I can , just ask …