Apartment Living. Where to store Kayak?

Talk to the apt manager
They might allow you to build a rack and store on site, or have some additional indoor storage available for a small fee.

Not enough room…
I don’t have enough room to sensibly hang 2 kayaks in my apartment. They’d just take up way to much room.

Spoke w/ manager…
I did speak with the manager yesterday afternoon. She didn’t seem to have a problem with my trailer idea.

So, I could buy a trailer and kill 2 birds w/ one stone. I could lock my kayaks to the trailer and lock the trailer up to a lightpost or something near the apartment. AND it would be that much easier to go on solo trips and not have to hoist the heavy kayak onto my car alone…

Now, I just have to consider the risks of parking 2 kayaks virtually in plain sight for any theif/criminal/vandal to see…

Closed Trailer or Roof of Building
I have never seen a closed kayak trailer…but somthing could be converted or built. 18 ft long will be the biggest problem.

Closed trailers are popular with snowmobiles in the north. Portable year round storage.

Could you get access to the roof? Some roofs are easy to access.

Good Luck.

Been there done that
Rob, I had a similar predicament for about 5 years. I stored my canoes at a family home about 40 miles from my apartment. I had to plan a little in advance to have the canoes available when I needed them for known trips, but spur of the moment trips were out the realm. I talked to the manager of my complex and they were cool with storing the canoe for short periods of time adjacent to the building with a lock on the gas meter. But it was a $2300 canoe and I wasn’t real happy with that arangement for awhile. I looked into storage buildings, and found them nearly as pricey as my apartment, and the budget didn’t support that. So I muddled through alternating using the family house, the canoe on the car, and occasionally at a friends house. None were optimal.

I ultimately bought my own house and dedicated the entire basement to canoe storage. All better now!!

PK

folding kayaks
If you’re feeling crafty, you could build a folding kayak from Tom Yost’s plans. The offsets are free, and materials should run around $300 or so.

www.yostwerks.com

speaking of whitewater boats
the Wisper is my favorite boat to roll because of success, but when winter comes i can’t take it to the pool because of the chlorine and the skin … so i’m thinking maybe a used whitewater kayak just for winter rolling sessions in the pool…any recommendations?

i plan on staying in the lake via the Tuliq until it freezes over, then it will be the pool

Thanks for hijacking my thread.

I checked out your Zip Code / Exit
Sorry, I can’t help