App to track speed

My Garmin Oregon 400c still works and gives accurate real time speeds, avg spds, distance and moving time. The blue chart screen shows aids to navigation, obstructions, depths, along with tide datum points with range and times. It also records max speeds, but I don’t rely on it because it occasionally exceeds far above what I actually see reported on the speedometer. There is no pause to stop recording. Its days are numbeted, but I bought a discontinued model several years ago. When this one stops working, I can switch over.

Geo Track records speed on a graph over time and another graph showing speed over distance. It also gives avg spd over total trip and avg spd just while moving. The Geo Track max speed as recorded is always lower that the GPS. For some reason it clipped anything over 5 mph, until I played with settings. That helped, but the reading is still below the GPS real time speed. I generally only accept max speed that I see as it spikes on the speedometer.

Both devices match for avg spd, distance and moving time. The Geo Track is best for after trip analysis, because the graph helps to interpret how wind, tide and current impacts performance. Geo Track being on the phone is easy to save for comparison by capturing the data with a screen shot.

I was hoping to get an early start on this season, but life gets in the way. Today was only my sixth trip. Hard to make progress with 10 to 14 days between trips. Geo Track has been helpful in reviewing paddling form and technique, and I’m confident that the paddle is right for me.