App to track speed

I use to used Endomondo App to track my speeds. I loved it. You could put you finger on the map of your course and see the speed. Gave you too and average speeds.

Map My Run took over Endo but it doesn’t show the same things. Strava is the same crap. Any suggestions? Thanks :+1:

Garmon 78c

GPS for the data. See Raisins for the data collection and displays.

Cruiser uses a Garmon watch.

GPS is in my phone if there was an app like Endomondo. Any point in my recorded run I could see my speed.

Missing most of what you’re saying?

I can do it after the fact on my laptop. Geotracker, free phone app from a Russian developer, tracks my route and I export a KML to my laptop. When I open the KML Google Earth opens up and I can see instant speed by clicking or follow on the graph.

1 Like

I’ll see what these do also.

Runtastic/Adidas Running - gives you a color coded map and a chart. I don’t think you can pick out instantaneous speed though.

Navionics will give you a track and a graph with instantaneous speed. Also handy for navigation when paddling in a new area. Not free but pretty inexpensive for what it can do.

I’ve been trying the free version of Paddle Logger, but I don’t think it does what you want. I’m sure the paid version has a lot more functionality though I haven’t tried it yet. Here’s a shot from a quick evening paddle last night:

Found “Speedometer” in Google Play works good for speed and distance.

1 Like

All these phone apps only work well if you have cell service. That being said, we were on the Buffalo last week and those using Strava had wildly different speeds and distances between phones and none were even close to those running handheld GPS except for one phone that had Verizon as they have better service up where we were. If I my life was depending on it, I would be using a real GPS and forget the phone.

My life is not depending on my speed just a tool to judge my own performance.

I don’t think this is true. GPS is GPS, cell is cell. Now a phone can get better accuracy if has cell service, but you can still get data without cell service.

Now to make it even messier, at least for iPads, unless you bought an iPad with cell service hardware you don’t have GPS in it. (of course you don’t use an iPad in your boat, we go off road in our Jeep with an iPad)

And there there’s the iPhone11 Pro, which has a fairly widespread GPS inaccuracy problem. I’m about to test a free replacement from apple for this very issue.

And if you want great accuracy, you can get a bluetooth GPS receiver which hooks up to your phone, then you should have great accuracy.

BTW, I’m a Beta tester for the iOS “Waterspeed” app and really love it. The developer seems to respond to customer requests rapidly. I think it had a much nicer Apple Watch interface than Trails.

My phone an Android was always decent with Endomondo. Hopefully I get to try speedometer tomorrow. Seems good in car.

I use my old Garmin Forerunner 310XT. Tracks speed, miles, maps my route and uploads all the stats and the map to Garmin Connect. Battery life is about 20 hours, waterproof, and easy to see screen.

Much prefer the Garmin to using an app on my cell phone.

That is true only to a point. On a phone or a tablet the GPS and the cell service have co-dependencies. The GPS app in your phone is not 100% self contained. The phone only receives information via GPS, but map images and communication back to the server that does most of the heavy lifting on these systems like calculating distance and sharing information are all or in part via cell depending on the app. These apps are designed or a more urban setting an are totally fine in that environment. It will work great in the car or on the bike trails or the running path at the park or on a local river or lake. If you are going to be “out there” though, a bluetooth GPS like a Garmin Inreach Mini that syncs with your phone would definitely be the better way.
The other side of the coin is what do you feel more comfortable losing if something goes sideways, a $400 GPS or and $1,100 I Phone? Been on too many trips with people agonizing as the watch their phone go to the bottom and I know a kid who has found dozens of I phones in one particular stretch of river. Keep your phone packed in your go drybag and sync with your GPS in camp at night.

I’m still going to have to disagree with you. Sure, if you want to share and communicate, you need connectivity, but you do not need it for speed (at least not on an iPhone), you can confirm this by taking your iPhone, going into airplane mode, and the running a paddling app. You’ll see your speed and distance.

Maps? That depends heaving on your maps. For off road use I have all of VT and NH vector topo maps downloaded, don’t need cell service for maps. I get “out there” all the time, even carried a 12 foot antenna for data coverage, so I understand no and low signal areas, but we were talking about speed, not sharing here.

And about speed, the specialized apps can give you so much more than a traditional GPS. The app I use can show max speed or 30 second average, it can chime on km marks, and I think it can chime on new max speeds. You can later graph speed and heart rate over time, which of course needs some heart monitor, but I’m guessing if you care fitness (I actually don’t, I’m out there to see cool stuff) you might care about heart rate etc…

Different tools for different uses, certainly. But please don’t completely knock phone apps, they can be very powerful.

Oh, and they can sit in a dry bag under a hatch also and you use your watch to see speed. The ironic thing is, I’ve been working with the Waterspeed app developer for some time now debugging my odd speed issue, it really looks like a broken phone, but I’ve gone out a few times without my watch as part of a test and I’m actually enjoying being disconnected from tech while on the water.

Komoot is a biking app, but for recording floats and monitoring speed (including on Apple Watch) it works well.

…two that I have enjoyed using:

I use a rowing app on my Garmin watch to track kayaking. I have not been able to find a dedicated kayaking app, and the rowing app comes pretty close. Time, speed, distance, path, paddle cadence, heart rate, etc…

Gaia GPS works great. About five years of use biking, hiking and paddling. It’s never failed me.

The paid version lets you download custom maps. That way your phone is a stand-alone gps. No cell signal required. Quite a large choice of maps and satellite overlays available to chose from.
It syncs easily between my desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone. I can plan and mark waypoints and routes on a nice big screen and save it all to my iPhone, including maps and put it in airplane mode if I chose and save battery power. It fits easily in my pfd pocket and has a tether attached.

1 Like