Apple River Canyon - State Park

A group in which I’m in Christian fellowship is planning a camping trip to Apple River Canyon - State Park in late October. I’m not yet sure that I can go, but I was wondering if anyone in the Illinois area can enlighten me to the paddling opportunities or any other information on this park and river. The DNR website states nothing about paddling the river and little about the park and campsites. No one in the group has been there before.

Thanks,

YOS

Apple River Canyon…
Greetings, Paddler…!!!

Apple River Canyon is a small but scenic park; it’s only about 300 acres, has 5 miles of trails and is hilly. I don’t believe you can access the river from the park, but you can paddle the river north of there down from Wisconsin.

Mike Svob has a good book: Paddling Illinois. Check the book for detailed mileage and info. The park stocks trout in the river several time a year. No showers at the park if you’re looking for a quick clean up. Nice country around the park: hills, hardwoods, bluffs. The historic town of Galena is nearby. Enjoy the river and have a great weekend…!

Happy Trails,

RS

YakOfSteel
YakOfSteel,

Why don’t you skip the trouble of checking out this place and just come to Raystown like you want to do.

Dave

If you’re this obnoxious online . . . .
I can’t imagine how bad you’d be in person. I have a feeling there’d be a few less returning from the trip if I went . . . .

:~0

Thank you very much for the info.
I was told it was a primitive campground, so I was aware of the lack of showers & electricity. I was asked to brink my kayaks but didn’t see anything about paddling the river on the dnr website. Is the river above the park navigable that time of year?

joke
YaksOf Steel,

It was a small jibe at you for your ranting about Raystown. If I want to be obnoxious I can do much better.

However, if you found the joking offensive, I apologize.

Dave

Not offensive . . . .

– Last Updated: Sep-20-07 7:46 AM EST –

I appreciate the apology, and reciprocate. I actually meant "obnoxious" as the entire group, not you individually. While I stand by that (see the other response from c2g which IS offensive), yours was not.

What's funny to me is that I asked a question unrelated to Raystown, yet this is the 6th out of 8 replies to OP that are about Raystown exclusively. And you wonder why people are irritated (and no, I'm not the only one, just the most vocal).

The rumor I've heard is that Raystown is dead after this year. Don't know anything about the event other than the juvenile behavior appearing here on pnet, but that's enough for me to appreciate the rumor . . . .

;~)

Should I be glad you’re offended?

– Last Updated: Sep-20-07 8:44 AM EST –

You claim to be a Christian, then you imply that if the guy showed up on one of your trips you'd probably kill him?

I appreciate and have the highest respect for the Christians who let their actions speak for them. I don't appreciate the "Christian", and I put that word in quotation marks for a reason, who appears to believe that his Christianity entitles him to some sort of special treatment even when he is acting poorly.

If you are offended that I don't respect so-called "Christians" who threaten others with violence, then I'm glad you are offended.

And I didn't delete my original post - the moderator apparently did it for me. For those who wonder what it said, it was a much briefer version of this one.

You’ve got issues . . . .
Don’t take them out on me.

Being a Christian doesn’t mean I don’t have a sense of humor or exaggeration for effect once in awhile. Apparently NOT being one means you don’t. I never said I’d kill someone, although, yes, maybe it was implied, but in jest. I can see where you wouldn’t understand that.

The thing about a message board, actions are kind of hard to demonstrate. I don’t know what others you are familiar with, but this one only allows words. I’d like to see a way for actions to appear, though, and maybe Brent would too. Give him some ideas if you have any original to share.

Speaking of Brent, maybe he deleted your post because he saw your attack on Christianity and me as ridiculous as it was. I would assume he saw the jesting in my post and thought yours was over the top. Can’t speak for him, and maybe he’ll see this and delete it to. I’d be happy if the whole thing was, since I was simply trying to get some info on a proposed camping trip that had nothing to do with you or the other Raystown people, yet you decided to hijack yet another thread. Get a life. This crap belongs on B&B, not Advice. This is supposed to be the “Nice” board . . . .

;~)

Apple River

– Last Updated: Sep-20-07 2:00 PM EST –

Back on topic ...

The Apple River at the park is a very small stream that is impounded just downstream at a Boy Scout camp. (I grew up running around both. Canoeing possibilities are pretty minimal there. But (!) all is not lost. The Prairie State Canoeists just posted a run on the Galena River on Youtube. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=lindbladet

They started just over the WI border on County W and ran 10+ miles to N. Council Hill Rd. That's just west of Apple River Canyon SP. You could easily basecamp at the park. The scenery around there is awesome as well, so allow a bit of time for that, too.

Happy Paddling!

Steve

Galena is awesome. . . .
When I was a small child, my family traveled every summer from Chicago to Central Iowa, and we took, I think, Hwy 20 right through Galena. I love that it’s named “The Great River Road”. We stopped every year at the Grant home, picnicked on the hill-side stops and pulled over often to watch the hang gliders taking off.

Fond memories . . . .

Another link to the Galena/Fever River
In Wisconsin it’s called the Fever River. http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=canoebuildermark

The Apple River has major access issues inside and downstream from the park, I wouldn’t recommend paddling it.

If the Galena doesn’t have enough water in it in Wisconsin, you can put in at Buckhill Road in Illinois, this section always has enough water in it, and it will take you right through Galena. You can contact Fever River Outfitters for rental and a shuttle. Check the gauge at http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ahps2/hydrographs/bunw3_hg.png It has to have at least 3.4’ in it or you will be dragging on the upper section.

Hello my Christian Brother. I’m PA
but it’s good to know you on this board, at least.

Paddling is an awesome sport and Pnet makes it that much better. This website has saved me thousands of dollars in unnecessary gear and equipment and has, most likely, saved my life a time or two.

God bless you!

Thank you very much for the info.
Looks like its down to 3.03 right now. Apparently not good.

Me too . . . .
But I think it’s cost me a bit too. But that’s ok, I’ve enjoyed what I bought!