applying vynabond to d-rings

I’ve re-posted this due to typo.

Just about ready to install float bags! I have read so many recommendations/warnings for applying Vynabond to Royalex, I’m getting nervous. (And I thought drilling holes in a new boat for the lacing was stressful.)

I am going with 30" bags bow and stern,(Not a WW boater, as I mentioned before, no more than class II; for my Vagabond, as insurance more or less.)

I’m also thinking one d-ring per bag should be plenty, as I have seen small bags done this way, for this purpose, and I’m afraid to deal too much with the glue my first time out as well.

I’d like some input on gluing down d-rings to Royalex from folks who’ve had more experience than I. Is sanding necessary? What grit? How long after applying a thin coat should I let it dry. Some recommendations say to let the first thin coat dry and then apply a second coat. Some say one coat dry to just tacky then apply. Help!

Thanks

vynabond and d rings

– Last Updated: May-03-08 6:35 PM EST –

I've done several canoes, and never had an installation fail. Here's what I do.

Preposition D ring, draw around it with a sharpie pen.

Sand inside the lines with 80 grit. Also sand back side of D Ring. Scuff them up real good.

Wipe down everything with clean rag saturated with denatured alcohol.

Coat inside lines with thin coat VB. Coat back of D ring. Let dry. (You will know when it's dry as the coating looses it's "sheen". You can also touch it and it will feel dry!

Thin coat everything a second time and let dry to tacky.

Position D ring and use a wallpaper seam roller to roll out any bubbles. (Seam roller also comes in handy to "feather" kevlar skid plate edges). Some also use a heat gun to reactivate the adhesive at this point. I never have.

Let cure overnight before use.

VynaBond

– Last Updated: May-05-08 4:09 PM EST –

I use MEK to prepare the surface for the VynaBond. No sanding is necessary. Mark where the pad is to be installed. Apply a light coat of MEK to both surfaces and allow to dry. Then apply a thin coat of VynaBond to both surfaces and let dry. Then apply a second thin coat of VynaBond to both surfaces and let it dry. Using a hair dryer heat both surfaces just until they are warm. This reactivates the adhesive and reduces the negative effects of air temperature and humidity. Then integrate the opposite surfaces touching the center first and working out towards the edges. Use a roller or heavy squeege to press hard working from the center out to the edges. Let cure for 24 hours.

VynaBond on polyethylene?
Anyone know if VynaBond is effective for gluing D-rings and other rubber-type stuff to polyethylene hulls?

A web search reveals very few adhesives that claim to glue stuff to polyethylene, polyurethane, or nylon, all notoriously slippery plastics.

Actually, I’m just gluing some rubber pads to my Yakima LandShark kayak saddles to protect a composite hull, and I believe they’re made of poly; so I wouldn’t need the same strength as WW canoe D-ring attachments. But I don’t want them peeling off later.

Just wondering if anyone’s had good luck gluing to poly with VynaBond or other adhesive.

Thanks!

Delphinus

http://www.AquaDynology.com