AquaPac DSLR Case

-- Last Updated: Jan-04-11 9:54 PM EST --

Is anyone using the Aquapac SLR waterproof case? I'm thinking of getting one for using my new toy at the beach to keep sand out of it (don't ask me about my last 2 cameras and current cell phone).

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/waterproof-slr-case-br-455-2601-0.html

http://www.amazon.com/Aquapac-SLR-Camera-Case-Marine/dp/B000TRM598

EDIT:
The DSLR that I bought is a Nikon D7000 w/ a 18-200mm zoom lens.

DiCaPac is cheaper
I ordered one of Aquapac’s housings for a standard digital camera and was extremely disappointed in the flimsiness of it for the price and, more important, the fact that it did not work – the squishy plastic over the lens caused the camera to produce cloudy and distorted photos both underwater and from my kayak. It also made using the controls awkward at best. The DSLR models don’t seem much more “sophisticated” other than adding the lens extension with the carbonate lens. If you search for previous discussions on here about the Aquapac DSLR case there has never been much enthusiasm for it, even complaints that it leaked and several that it was hard to use and distorted the images.

I think there are better housings for the money – look on the large camera store sites for cases made of more rigid plastic overall with provisions for direct external control. Not knowing what model camera you have, it is hard to be more specific. Some of the camera makers have housings designed for their cameras.

The DiCaPac models look like they offer more bang for the buck if you want to stick to a cheapie. I plan to try one of theirs next and will be interested to see if anyone comments on here about them:

http://www.semsons.com/diwacafordss.html

But then I will be using it with a $100 camera, not a DSLR. I would say if you are looking at spending between $120 and $150 for a housing for a costly DSLR you might be better off adding $100 to that and getting a half-decent hard-shell housing made for that camera.

the model you linked to

– Last Updated: Jan-04-11 5:15 PM EST –

...is for an SLR or DSLR camera body. It's priced similarly to the aquapac dslr model. Although the 'finger sleeve' is something that the current aquapac does not have, so it may be the better choice.

The reason they make these bags is that there is no standardized 'hard case' for SLR bodies. The ones they do make for the specific camera bodies don't fit every SLR and they are very costly.

The OP was inquiring about using the DSLR (with hard lens cover, not the flimsy one) on the beach (not underwater). I paddle with a guy who keps his DSLR in the aquapac and strapped to the foredeck, and so far so good. I believe both companies warranty their bags to the replacement cost of the camera.

Housings

– Last Updated: Jan-04-11 9:57 PM EST –

I haven't looked a lot at housings, but I generally thought most of the hard-plastic housings cost around $1,000 and up. Maybe I'm over generalizing.

I'm just after something to generally protect the camera. I'm not sure that I'm after underwater abilities nor even really to ride in/on the kayak unprotected (without being in another box/bag... box, ideally!).

Thanks, though for your opinion on it's flimsy-ness.

Thanks for the input, slush.
I’ll take a look at different options. I’m not in any rush and the boss has definitely said it’s not going kayaking. But, she DOES love her beach pictures with the midget.

I may look at that one myself
I like the idea of a finger sleeve to make adjusting settings easier.

There is an attachment that pros to keep a camera and lens dry while shooting in rain. It consists of a clear plastic hood, a carbonate lens cover, and two extended sleeves for the operator to use. There must be an application for kayaking somewhere within that idea…

my thoughts
I’ve played with one, but not really put it through its paces. Here are my thoughts:

• it is challenging to use the buttons and twist the lens to change telephoto settings through the bag
  • remove your neck strap from the camera before putting it in the bag, otherwise the strap will get in the way of buttons/screen/etc.
  • AquaPac clamp seal is truly waterproof. If you are working with a $500+ camera, don’t go cheap and get a bag that uses a ziplok plus roll down closure. I have seen these closures fail. The winter issue of California Kayaker Magazine has a review of different forms of dry storage (can be downloaded at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html) that may be worth looking at.
  • protect the hard lens on the bag. The demo unit I have picked up a scratch on it.

I ended up keeping the DSLR in a dry box and only using it when reasonably safe, and using a waterproof point and shoot camera when not.