Are Composite Sea Kayaks Expensive?

not really

– Last Updated: May-14-07 9:54 AM EST –

My perceptions didn't really change, the people I encountered later were more helpful and more encouraging. I've been involved in a number of sports/activities/hobbies/pursuits that require an investment in skills and gear, so that part of sea kayaking didn't intimidate me personally. It was the attitude of some that put me off.

In any pursuit that requires a bit more skill and equipment, you always will find that segment who is more proud of their collection of gear and skill for the sake of collecting it than they are for the ability to know how and when to use it. I could give a few examples but the most recent (bad example) was the guy I beat out for a position at first base on the softball team, who told me I'd have to get a better set of cleats and bat if I wanted to have an impact on the team, and held up his as an example. He's sitting on the bench admiring his shoes.

I know you have a sensitive spot for the subject but that doesn't make such folks go away. In the end it's those who are affected by these people who are at fault but I think if one is going to complain about the potential passing of a sport they enjoy, they had better be able to hold themselves and others in the sport to high standards of stewardship. You can't control who sells plastic rec boats but you can control how you encourage others interested in the sport.

finally, the subject of real or perceived attitudes is really secondary to the question of this thread and apologies if I've hijacked it a bit. I think the answer to envyabull's question is specific to the respondent.

Envyabull, it is unfortunate that you…
have painted “sea kayaking” into a corner with a perception of risk to the tradition of the sport. That my friend, is how you evolve. The BCU has updated their thinking by printing a new manual every several years. By the way, the “British” way of kayaking is way different than you can even imagine. K1/C1/Ski/Slalom/Expedition/Sea Paddlin, the sea kayak bit is just a small part of it, really. They are as eager to evolve and grow the sport as you are.

So, let me ask you this: were the Chukchi people of the NW Pacific real sea kayakers with their little hand paddles and short rec-ish looking boats? I mean, surely these lowly ancient kayakers could not rate well in your diction with those crazy paddles and 12’ long, 26" wide boats. Why, they had no business paddling those things, they were a wreck waiting to happen.

Dogmaticus

I suppose I’m just not…
… enough of a people person to give a crap about the politics of others’ brand preference/expense at the put in.

If it was going on there’s a good chance I wouldn’t pick up on it as being anything more than them expressing their satisfaction with their gear from their perspective - and wishing same for others - because beyond that - I could care less.

Having a range of gear spanning most cults at one time of another sort of makes me an unlikely target for such nonsense too. I currently have SOT (Surf & Surf Ski, used to have big plastic) /SINKs (all US, but had Brit)/SOF - GP/EP/Wing - Skeg/Rudder/Nothing - New/used/self made - a few rolls on both sides and OK speed (getting better).

Obviously I’m VERY interested in gear, and like to try others when I can, and am very open to hear what they like about their’s - but at the same time I’m nearly immune to asinine comments from people more into names/labels/various cults and such than performance/use/benefits aspects.

I really just don’t think I even meet these people. Maybe this all happens on shore standing around BS-ing. I don’t tend to spend much of my kayaking time on shore, or even with other paddlers…