Are hard chimes my problem?

so hard chines don’t
ring your chimes. lol, (JK OP).

oh the great and never ceasing discussion of chines. Considered in isolation they are such a small factor.

Good paddlers grab a boat and paddle. They don’t care about the chine. Now, they will fight over paddles…

Do some testing.
If you’re looking for a boat that truly tracks and glides like it’s on rails, check these (nckayaks.com). However, be prepared to learn some maneuvering techniques that might not be required with looser designs. These techniques are nothing new, but when you get used to using them, you’re boat handling skills will have taken a giant step forward.

Hard tracking boats generally respond quite well to bow ruddering, draws, sweeps and edging. Not so much to brace turns and stern ruddering until you are surfing.

I absolutely disagree that a good handling boat has to have a lot of rocker, or that they naturally have to tip from one side to the other unless you load them up. A well designed boat can track well, turn well and sit flat in the water and doesn’t require a balancing act.

Go demo a lot of different boats if you can and you will find some that will have the feel you are looking for. Getting the right paddle and learning to use it can also be a big part of it.

extra credit for pronouncing it right
(not directed to you Brian)

??
“I absolutely disagree that a good handling boat has to have a lot of rocker, or that they naturally have to tip from one side to the other unless you load them up.”

Who said that?

Chines aren’t the problem
Some kayaks track very well and others are more maneuverable. This has nothing to due with chines or no chines. Hard tracking kayaks are easier for an inexperienced paddler to use and a maneuverable kayak may be much more rewarding for an experienced paddler to use. A maneuverable kayak will allow an inexperienced paddle to gain new skills and technique. Only you will know what works best for your interest, but don’t think that chines effect tracking or maneuverability.

I agree - not really the chines
although a hard chined boat will likely react to a lesser edge that one with a softer chine. I paddle a high volume hard chined boat - Pygmy Arctic Tern. I has a lot of initial stability and tracks well when kept flat. I have to deliberately put it on edge. When I do though, it doesn’t take much edge to initiate the turn. I would not be surprised to learn that the Legend had lower initial stability and a subtle weight shift was engaging an edge without you noticing.

I had the pleasure of a session with Nigel Foster several years ago. Much or our time was spent paying close attention to how our boat responded to coarse and subtle body and blade movements. You might consider doing something like that as you try test new boats. Enjoy.

Hard chimes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4cVLAbRVDc

Soft chimes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hncJzoAiAw

Swing chimes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIA5CjjLp3Q

;^)

Chime issues
If you are having issues with chimes, you might want to look up Christine Lavin :wink:

s’wonderful
so many have chimed in on this question.

Thanks for suggestion
Found this when I googled her and it really made me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxicquutFU

My apologies to OP. Hope this highjacking because of your typo doesn’t bother you too much and that among all responses not “on-topic” you’ve gotten enough information you needed. Only excuse for my contribution to ot: I think it’s important to keep that inner child well-cared for.

such charming chimes

The

– Last Updated: Aug-07-13 11:56 AM EST –

Nigel Foster kayaks are designed with a bottom than doesn't sit flat when at rest. It tilts slightly to the side. This is usually very unnerving for those that are not use to a kayak behaving like this. This is what is causing you to turn when you stop being an active paddler. There are trade offs with all designs. For those into active paddling, the handling and the speed with a load are why many chose Foster kayaks.

This kayak could have been designed with a softer chine and would still have this characteristic.
Best Wishes
Roy