Armorall

Question - is the Armorall Original Protectorant (to use on the Royalex canoe) my wife picked up for me the same as Armoral VINYL Protectorant or are they different species? I usually use 303, but have to order it and I just can’t see paying the shipping. Others on this site said the Arm Vinyl does the same thing. Is Arm Orig the same as the Vinyl?

armorall
Don’t know about armorall but the consensus is that 303 has more uv protection. I’ve put 303 0n all my boats for several years and they still look new. (except for some scratches). Vaughn Fulton

I’m trying Armorall in comparison to
McNett. Armorall has always seemed to dry nicely without my having to rub it down the way we are supposed to do with 303 or McNett.

I’m not concerned about the “consensus” about 303 having better UV protection, partly because I’m not sure how long either product stays on the boat in the water. It’s the same with sunscreens for human skin. Can have an SPF of 45, but if it washes off faster, it’s less desirable.

Maybe the best way to test is go obtain
a tanning bed, a couple of pieces of royalex hull, and treat one with each product. Place under the tanning bed and take notes.

Armorall will disintegrate your boat
I sprayed some on my QCC last fall–the one that scratches easy–and when I returned to the garage in the spring the boat had completely vanished. All that remained were the sponsons and my Nalgene pee bottle.

Ask Armor All
You should ask them if their products are good for your situation. I asked Armor All when this was a hot discussion in 2005. They responded to my question. (I apologize to all who are sick of me posting this everytime Armor All is brought up.) Here is the response:

October 28, 2005

Reference Number: 4254184

Dear Mr. *****

Thank you for contacting us about Armor All Protectant - Original. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We would not recommend that you use this product on a plastic boat. There are two reasons, the first is it is not waterproof and it will streak and the second is that many boat manufacturers treat the boats with something that may react with the silicone in the protectant. Please contact us at any time if you have additional questions.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Yeah, I always call a “Consumer Rep”

– Last Updated: Nov-18-07 4:01 PM EST –

when I want data based information. That response from "Patti" reeks of ignorance.

I have been using Armorall as well as the other products (303, McNett) for a number of years, and I have not seen anything negative about Armorall in comparison to the other products. It clearly is at least as "waterproof" as the other products, because I can still see the tracks of spot application after paddling.

Great response. Do you believe
Patti had any concept of what your were asking? Royalex is a vinyl type product.

Cloth > chemicals
In general, appropriate cloth will provide plenty of UV protection. Chemicals are nice for backup when you can’t cover up. Think about your skin. Best is to stay inside and avoid UV. Next is good clothing (don’t believe me, take a look at the skin on your butt vs. face or back of your hands)Then, good sunscreen lotion is important when you can’t stay inside or cover-up.

So, what does this mean for your boat.

1. Keep it indoors if possible
  2. If you have to store outside, cover it.
  3. Armorall/303 are really only your last resort.

Please no “skin of your butt joke replies,” you know what I mean…

Mike

Don’t know Patti’s qualifications

– Last Updated: Nov-18-07 7:17 PM EST –

I think its reasonable to assume that she is authorized to say what she did. And by the way, vinyl is a plastic.

Vinyl is SO sun resistant that I don’t
know why we bother with UV protection. All Armorall or 303 do for vinyl is to make it look slick. What makes things serious is when the vinyl scrapes off the ABS. ABS is the structural layer of the sandwich, and it is VERY susceptible to UV damage. When I wear through the vinyl layer, Armorall, 303, or spray paint get me by until I have time to put on some S-glass and epoxy. Because epoxy is fairly susceptible to UV damage, I have to use 303 or the equivalent now and then to protect the epoxy.

Patti and most other “Consumer Representatives” can just stay entirely out of the issue. They know even less than my Subaru service representative.

yerrible

– Last Updated: Nov-18-07 8:39 PM EST –

Good grief, that is terrible. I feel sorry for you. Was there a factory warrenty for disappearence? Pee bottles rule.

Forget about all of them
There was a time when 303 was silicon based and Armor All was petroleum based. At that time, using Armor All on the gaskets of your dry suit was a big no no. Who knows what they are now. But the bottom line is that you don’t need to use any of them on your boat. The best UV protection is to store your boat out of the sun. The comparative time of sun exposure between paddling and storing for most people means you only need to store the boat properly. The sun exposure from paddling is not a hazard anyone needs to worry about.

How about driving around?
That can get to be some serious exposure time, especially for exposed ABS.

I’ve used Armorall…
quite a bit through the years on my Royalex canoes. I’ve also used stuff called Teflon Protectant. I don’t use them so much for UV protection as for simply reconditioning the vinyl and keeping the boat slick. I do a lot of paddling and fishing in very skinny water, and the extra slickness really makes it easier to slide over gravel and logs. I store my boats on the south side of the house, in the sun, no covering, and while the yinyl will get somewhat chalky after a couple months since applying the Protectant, the next time I apply it goes back to looking good. Can’t see much UV damage to the vinyl, and I’ve had one of these canoes for at least 15 years, maybe longer, always stored the same way.

my Nova Craft owner’s manuals says

– Last Updated: Nov-19-07 6:54 AM EST –

... use Armorall as a UV protectant. No mention of a specific type of Armorall. It is a Royalex canoe.

yes, I heard about that
QCC sent you a refund check that also disintegrated and vanished, right?

I like that
you must have the same subaru rep that I do!

Old Town’s advice:
How do I clean my Old Town canoe or kayak?

HULL EXTERIOR: Wash with mild soap and water. You can also use Murphy’s Oil Soap. To beautify, we suggest a vinyl protectant product such as Armor All®, 303 Products or Pledge. These are safe for use on any of our PolyLink3™, Oltonar/Royalex®, CrossLink, SuperLink3™ and Fiberglass canoes or kayaks.

We do not recommend waxing your hull with a paste wax, such as most car waxes. The wax fills in any scratches or gouges, then dries to a white color, making the damage more apparent.

HULL INTERIOR: Wash with mild soap and water. We DO NOT recommend using any of the above products or polishes on the interior, as the floor of your boat may become slippery.

Teflon?
DuPont Teflon is a major environmental bummer – very, very bad. RK