Asleep at the Wheel

Some of you may know Rhonda Schwab. Maybe she has done glass work for you through her business, Kayakers Go Coastal, or through her coaching work ( BCU Coach Level 2 and 4 Star Sea Certification, and ACA Certificated instructor Level Four, Open Water and Surf.)

Well, her waterfront house got run into by a barge being pushed by a tug when the skipper fell asleep at the wheel.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/community/gateway/g-news/article249950809.html

Ouch! Hope the tug company has good insurance.

1 Like

That is no way to enjoy your morning coffee!

Did I read that right? The house did OK but the deck was destroyed… estimated cost upward of $200,000.00?

A deck worth $200,000.00?

Way out of MY league.

1 Like

That number must include other stuff like damage to the boat. Or it could be inflated to sensationalize

1 Like

reminds me of the joke (one of the variations around):

Through the pitch-black night, the captain sees a light dead ahead on a collision course with his ship. He sends a signal: “Change your course ten degrees east.” The light signals back: “Change yours, ten degrees west.” Angry, the captain sends: “I’m a Navy captain! Change your course, sir!” “I’m a seaman, second class,” comes the reply. “Change your course, sir.” Now the captain is furious. “I’m a battleship! I’m not changing course!” There’s one last reply. “I’m a lighthouse. Your call.”

1 Like

the “joke” plays a lot better if you show it as a video clip:

It is an ad made by Silva compass.
I use it during land navigation class to demonsttrate the need for accuracy and what can happen if you ignore declination correction

7 Likes

Pictures were inconclusive. I did see H - pilings which would run cost up. But if the news ever asks make the $$$$$ big.

1 Like

And don’t forget there’s mental anguish.
Janet Lee would never shower alone again.
Jaimie’s having coffee on deck, fog horns give warning.
Reverend Holbrook got the sickle in the end.

Probably a low est. 3 houses, the only thing you saw was deck, but if the deck is rammed into the house… Pilings, deck, foundation, siding, structure, barge, cost of removing the barge… lots of things you cant see can be bad.

Okay the tug company has some bills to pay to make it right.

Just getting an engineering review, to check structural integrity of the pilings and docks might run $50-$250K. I have a friend that looked into buying a large houseboat type structure for mooring on the Potomac in DC. It was going to cost him on the order of $100K to find out whether existing pilings were sufficient, or whether he’d need to add. So he bought a good sized boat instead…it didn’t need all of the engineering work as the moorings were set up for boats, not barge like structures.