Asthma and Eskimo roll

I have Asthma and I am a little concerned about performing a roll with this condition. Any one with Asthma have any problem doing a roll?

FishHawk

I have asthma
no issues with rolling now. Also have GERD, which was likely causing my asthma. When I was refluxing, I found myself to be somewhat afraid of being upside down. Now that that is controlled, no issues with either asthma or rolling.

No asthma
but plenty of sinus issues. Saline rinse has always been a pretty effective treatment, but for some reason now that I am rolling regularly, I get very stuffy the next day and it lasts a couple days - which means that I’ve been stuffy most of the time lately. The water does not bother me at the time, but I guess I will have to switch to wearing a nose clip at least during roll practice. Anybody else have this problem?

Yep
My sinuses always get stuffy for a day or two after being upside-down underwater a few times.

Only in fresh water
I usually end up with a nasty sinus infection if I capsize unexpectedly in fresh water and get a sinus full. Salt water has never bothered me. In fact, it clears me out.

Asthma and sinus probs
I have asthma and don’t have a problem with rolling as long as my asthma is well controlled. When it is aggravated I don’t paddle whitewater as I wouldn’t be able to handle extended downtime because I would already have an oxygen debt.

If you are worried about it try practicing swimming underwater and see how you go. If you relax you may be surprised by how long you can stay down. Once you have a reliable roll it takes less than 2 seconds so should not be a problem.

I also get sinus infections from rolling in freshwater but accept it as the price for paddling. They clear up much quicker since I had surgery on them.

Hope this helps.

Not a problem
I have asthma and do not find it interferes with rolling.

Gerd question
I have struggled for years with Gerd, refluxing followed by coughing attacks. I take meds and chew gum when doing outdoor activities and they both help, but still feel physically-pyschologically impaired by it. Mind if I ask what approach to this worked best for you?

Anxiety and asthma
Rolling done right has you up in well under ten seconds, if you take time to setup really carefully and confirm your position down there it may be as many as 15. Time is a little longer when you are learning because there is more attention to setup and the steps. If you are anxious, it will feel like you have less air than when you are relaxed (asthma or not). I don’t know if this is so physiologically, but when you feel like you are running out of air the biological reality is not important.

I don’t have asthma but started with real fear of entrapment, and for a long time effectively had almost no air because of that. I finally relaxed (most times) and my hang time multiplied like crazy just from that.

Unless your asthma is so bad that paddling itself is a problem, the time itself shouldn’t be a problem. But you should learn in a supportive environment, with someone right there, and make sure that you take the steps slowly enough that you stay as relaxed as possible so that any anxiety doesn’t kick off an asthma-feeling response. That may mean starting by spending a lot of time hanging off the edge of a pool and getting used to being under the boat, or you may get under thre and find that you are very comfortable.

Keeping my weight down

– Last Updated: Sep-05-07 12:24 AM EST –

and Nexium. Works better for me than the other PPIs like protonix, aciphex or prilosec. I have a rather large hiatal hernia and if the Gerd gets really bad, I may opt for surgery.

Used to have asthma - my cure

– Last Updated: Sep-05-07 7:20 AM EST –

I had mild asthma develop about 7 years ago. I went the usual route with testing and the prescribed inhalers. Then a woman I met turned me on to a Naturopathic physician and told me he cured her.

I went to him and found out I had mild allergies to gluten and dairy. Stopped eating wheat and most gluten products and 99% of dairy. No more asthma ever! Gone in less than a week. This Naturopathic physician also got my intestinal track back in balance with a cleansing diet (no sugars) and 3 months of natural pills and yogurt culture too. It's also important to aerobically exercise regularly too. You can't be afraid to use your lungs.

Don't assume these conditions are forever. Many times imbalances in the body can be corrected without drugs with natural methods.

Sinus infections
Does anyone know if sinus infections are generally caused by the use of nose plugs; being upside down in very cold fresh water; being upside down in warm fresh water; or being upside down in cold salt water?

When salt water kayaking I don’t wear nose plugs except for surfing and don’t recall having gotten sinus infections but it has been a long time since I ocean surfed.

When I river kayak, I normally put my nose plugs on when I approach a tough rapid. During the course of a day, I end up rolling a few times. Almost always, about 3 days later, I end up with a sinus infection.

I practice rolling at a heated 70F outdoors swimming pool and I always use nose plugs. A few days after the pool practice, I end up with a stuffy nose. About 1/3 of the time, the stuffiness progresses into a sinus infection.

Infections
I would have thought the infections were caused by bacteria and other wee beasties in the water. If you’re getting them from a chlorinated pool then I have no idea.

BTW, I did a lot of rolling on Monday, followed by some air travel Tuesday and Wednesday. The ordinary post-underwater sinus issues I normally have were multiplied by the pressure changes in the planes. Ow! Never again!