Atlantic Fish Storms Abound

Quite a bit of tropical activity out in the Atlantic Basin. Nothing threatening a landfall (thankfully). But, there are/will be pulses of energy in the water for most of this week and into early next week. Most of these will make for mellow fun but not life threatening stuff for ocean kayakers.

Be safe and enjoy!

-sing

an ‘interesting’ hurricane season (so far).
Had an early hurricane (Debby) come by (here in Jacksonille - just a little wind) in early August.
Now, nearing the end of the (busy) season (October can still be active, was it ‘Matthew’ a few years ago in Oct.) the monster ‘Helene’ caused major destruction (again, just some wind here - though I did notice a few sailboats (moored in St Johns) blown around (one grounded)).
Though the picture looks ominous, as you say, they are all expected to stay out there.

It has been a “weird” season. Earlier on, I thought we were going to get really whacked given the earlier warmer water temps. Then we went through much of the July and August placidly. I actually thought we dodged but then came Helene…

Of the ones to watch on the map, it’s the one that is in the Gulf (where Helene originated). The others are benign. All these are doing is to provide some texture we are seeing on the east coast. Today in MassBay…

I am headed out to catch some today with the Sterling. Waves will persist through the week but I am headed up NH for the week for camping/flyfishing before trout season ends on Oct 15.

I suspect there will still be tropical activity when I get back… Be careful out there as you keep your paddling streak going.

-sing

Groundswells are showing up in MassBay this AM, 3’ plus @ 14 seconds. These are probably from Hurricane Kirk. We’ll see swells all along the eastern coast for the coming week, as Hurricane Leslie is right on Kirk’s coattail.

Play safe out there!

-sing