I want to attach seats to the side of the Royalex Chipewan rather than hang the seats from the gunwales. I know this is done for many canoes, but I don’t know how common for royalex.
Questions: What to use for a bracket?
How to attach the bracket to the hull
Candidates for the bracket:
- wood, cedar for lightness. Seal with epoxy. It’ll get drilled to accept seat-retaining bolt, so the hole will need to be somehow sealed, too.
- aluminum angle material
- fiberglass angle (what I wanted, but have not found)
Candidates for attaching to the hull:
- epoxy, with or w/o some fiberglass fabric
- silicone caulk (I once used some to attach an aluminum shower frame to a tile wall, and when I later removed the frame, the caulk was so tight it ripped off the glazed surface of the tile.) The reason to use silicone is its flexibility.
- mechanical attachments through the hull (pop rivet, wire-stitch or bolt)
Or, feel free to recommend something you think will work.
Chip Walsh, Gambrills, MD