AuSable River Canoeing in Michigan

I am considering buying a cabin on the AuSable River in upper Michigan. I am deciding between a cabin in Roscommon or one in Mio.

I have never canoed from Roscommon to Mio to McKinley on the AuSable, so I am wondering whether this is even possible. Or are there shallow spots between Roscommon and Mio where it would be impossible to canoe straight from Roscommon to Mio & McKinley without portaging?

If you have canoed this stretch of river, can you give me some guidance, please? Also, are there any touchy spots in this stretch of river that a beginner might have trouble with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

colliegurl

South Branch is nearly impassable
Actually, I’m lying through my teeth. The South Branch is beautiful and can be navigated from Roscommon to the main branch; however, it is narrower and more technical, with more strainers, more timber and tighter corners, etc. than the main branch around Mio. The South Branch is also much, much more prone radical fluctuations in flow than the Main or North Branches.

Then, there is the issue of sharing the river. The South Branch, especially the Mason Tract was a gift to the state and one of the most pristine areas in Michigan. It is also nearly sacred ground to trout fisherpeople, myself included. I and most fisherpeople are all for sharing natural resources. However, I have a much higher standard for sharing on the Mason Tract than the Main Branch.

If you want a quiet place to reflect. Try Roscommon. If you want a weekend get away play spot, you, and those around you, will be much happier in Mio.

Either choice, find a way to give back more to the river than you take, and how to coexist with the enivironment and the people around you.

I will now get off the soap box.

Thanks,

Mike

Well put!
“Then, there is the issue of sharing the river. The South Branch, especially the Mason Tract was a gift to the state and one of the most pristine areas in Michigan. It is also nearly sacred ground to trout fisherpeople, myself included. I and most fisherpeople are all for sharing natural resources. However, I have a much higher standard for sharing on the Mason Tract than the Main Branch.”

Rosco to Mio
The Roscommon choice is obviously the best, I have lived there and paddled the South branch many times.

Probably the longest continuous run you can make on the Ausable is the Roscommon to Mio Stretch.

I now live 60 miles to the South and expect invitations when you buy the cabin in Rosco.

Tough choice …
I would most likely choose Roscommon but both are really good choices. Some of the canoe racers up there paddle from Roscommon down to Mio on occasion. Like it was said above, the South Branch fluctuates more and it is lower in the summer, but I’ve never had problems with having to portage shallow spots.

so…
What does this really mean? Troutfisherpeople DO NOT welcome canoeists on the “Mason Tract”?

Somehow paddling that reach of water makes it less pristine?

South Branch
as mentioned above, is beautiful, but the main stream is also quite nice. There would be no need to portage until the dam in Mio. The main branch is fine for beginners. Roscommon to Mio is all good paddling. I just did a short stretch from McMasters bridge to Parmalee bridge last Friday. I was the only person on the water. The stretch from Mio to Comins Flats will be a zoo on week ends in the summer, but during week days it’s much better. Spring and Fall week ends are nice if you’re unable to be up during the week. That being said, the river between Mio and Comins Flats is mostly national forest with only a handfull of cottages, so it really is a beautiful place to paddle when it’s not full of party barges.

Please contact me if you’d like to paddle any stretch of the Ausable, I have a cottage Comins, (that’s a suburb of Mio :smiley: )

Sharon

it means
be considerate of other users. I have to say in my experience in MI canoeists have generally been a bit less considerate to fly fisherman than the other way around.

sigh
Both great areas, I second what the first poster said, but with a cabin on the au sable you really can’t go wrong.

Sharing just means respecting
There is nothing in my prior post that means fly-fishers dislike canoers. On various days, I am either or both. In fact, in general we have the same interests. Together, we can protect, preserve and enjoy our valuable natural resources. However, I’ve been nearly run over by canoers with kegs of beer in the boat and picked up beer cans thrown in the river by fisherpeople. I do not like or respect these individuals. Also not implying anyone on this forum would do such an an egregious thing.

Just meant that Mason Tract is a very special, public resource. As such when I go there I hold myself to a very high standard to treat the environment and those around me with respect. I am happy to see, chat, walk, paddle and share with canoers,hikers, birders, cross country skiiers, etc. who respect the environment and others around them.

Mike

“…can’t we all just get along?” Rodney King

Thanks for the Feedback!
Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback! I grew up fishing, so I do believe in treating fisherfolks with the utmost respect. Saw some great cabins over the weekend, but none that are quite right. Still, it reaffirms my decision that Roscommon to Mio to McKinley is the stretch of river where I want my cabin to be.

Thanks again!

Colliegurl