Backcountry Paddling, Hunting, and Fishing

It’s not everyday that you convince your father-in-law that a backcountry hunting and fishing trip is in order. I have been lucky as we have now completed our second annual trip. The destination remains the same and somehow the passion never wanes. Join us for some questionable Canadian Thanksgiving weather as we pursue North America’s beloved game bird the Spruce Grouse and that ever elusive feeling of freedom.

Feathers Fly In Chiniguchi - YouTube

3 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

Beautiful. I would much rather celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday in October versus late November (when successfully starting the 15 year old snow blower is cause for celebration).

In the New England, the ruffle grouse and (before drastic decline in numbers) the woodcock reign. (Of course, there is pheasant in the lowlands but most of these were farm raised the by the "wild"life and fisheries Dept.) Used to bag grouse from October through early November and saved them up in the freezer. For pre-Thanksgiving potluck, I would bring and cook these up for my work mates in the office.

While I still buy my annual Sportsman license (hunting & fishing), I haven’t gone birdhunting since my brittany spaniel, Juka, passed. Does not feel right to go into the uplands without him.

Best wishes for your Thanksfiving tradition!

sing

1 Like

Enjoy it while you can.
Age gets in the way.
My Dad just had his 99th birthday.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved Juka.

I never had dogs growing up but once we got married we decided to get a “fox red” lab although I’m not sure that’s anything different then a golden. Nova is now 3 I don’t know what I would do without her. There’s a reason they call them man’s best friend. She’s always there with unconditional love ready for what ever adventure you can show her. Her first time hunting pheasants it was like she had been doing it all her life. Stayed within range, put up birds, and used her natural instincts and nose to give us an exciting hunt. Before Nova I was pretty sure I wanted a Brittany but now having spent 3 years with a Labrador I’m not sure any other dog is for me. Anyways I hope you make it afield again and enjoy it like it you did when it was new and fresh. I’m sure Juka would have wanted you to go on loving the experience of the outdoors.

Sincerely, Steve

2 Likes

Thanks, Steve. All the dog owners here know how devastating it is to lose a beloved dog who was a member of the family. My two boys were traumatized. I’ve thought about another dog – perhaps a Lab – but never got around to it. Instead of hunting, I’ve spent more time looking for and paddle surfing storm waves (that are often more prevalent in fall and winter in New England). However, whenever I go up to my camp in Maine, I think of Juka. He loved that place. His ashes were spread there. My time in Maine is usually taken up with flyfishing and occasionally white water kayaking.

Now, my younger son has two dogs - an Australian red healer and standard poodle - in addition to his three girls. He likes having dogs in his family.

Keep your family tradition going!

sing

2 Likes

2 Likes

Nice. Looks more like ruffed rather than a spruce grouse. Don’t know if you flyfish/flytie. Grouse feathers are great for simple to tie but super effective nymph patterns.

sing

1 Like

I actually bought my first fly rod this year. Haven’t gotten into fly tying yet but I saved a fan from one of the grouse. I assume it’s more the body feathers that are used though. Still haven’t caught my first fish on the fly. I’ve only had it out for a couple hours when we were on the Kawartha Highlands trip with the family in the summer.

1 Like

Most of the grouse feathers can be used to tie wetflies or nymph patterns. The tail feather strands can be used to create wing cases and nymph tails. The feathers from the back of the grouse are perfect for soft hackle on wetfly patterns.

While much is made of dryfly fishing - undoubtably exciting to see a surface take - flyfishing with a nymph or wetfly will outfish dryflies 3 to 1 in my experience. Only time dryflies outperform is in the midst of a active hatch.

Here is a nice native Maine brookie on a nymph:

sing

2 Likes

Those are beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah back in my twenties I had a real obsession with getting into fly fishing, researching as much as possible, watching fly tying videos. I will have to look into getting a vise. Unfortunately living in southwestern Ontario most of the good fly fishing is several hours away and therefore more likely a once or twice a year ordeal.

We do however take an annual trout opener trip with the boys and more often then not have at least 3 canoe adventures into the north per year. But it’s tough to learn a new skill when you only have maybe 3 weeks a year to really practice at it.

1 Like