Baitcaster and kayak

Hello all, I am new to both bait casting and kayak fishing. I went out this morning, and every time I would side arm cast I got a birds nest every single time. Over head cast not a problem. I have the spool tension and brake all the way locked down on my revo s reel. Any tips? Really want to learn bait casting better

Short answer; you get more wrist whip with a side=armed cast. Then you are probably releasing the line a moment or two too late, that changes the direction of the energy flow and causes the line to slow. That causes the bird nest.

Longer answer; I don’t see how you are not getting a bird’s nest all of the time. Cranking everything down will limit your cast and do other weird stuff.

First, make sure your lure has enough weight to cast properly. You can’t cast little stuff with a baitcaster.

Attach the lure and then adjust your reel until the lure very slowly slides away when the rod is straight out and you release the line.

Use you thumb to slow or stop the line when things hit the fan.

Practice, practice and practice some more. Properly running a baitcaster is as much of an art as properly running a fly-rod, they both need practice.

Good luck, I’ve used a baitcast reel for a very long time and would not even try a threshing machine Spinning reel) again

Roll hand during cast to wind up with thumb in down position. Try a longer rod 7’. As the other response was titan the drag where it’s hard to cast and learn to control spool then loosen spool to do longer throws. Some throws are hard but keep your boat broad of the target. Boat control is a factor. REM. Longer rods give more leverage so using strong arm action will put u in the tree—fishing business where the bees and snakes live on limbs. Hornets are my pest they seem to not like visits from worms, spinner bates, plugs. :frowning:

Its been a number of years since I was fishing much but yes, I recall side arm casts did cause birds nest more. I believe you need to feather your thumb on the real for the right pressure at the right time. Tighten it down and practice. You can loosen as you get better. Practice off the water so you can enjoy the time on the water.

Make shorter casts and you’ll have fewer mishaps. As you become more adept the distance will come naturally.

Two things caused my early backlashes. Too light of a lure (at first) and trying to learn while casting into the wind. Either, or both, will make learning more difficult.