Ballard Locks in Seattle

Does anyone know if the Ballard Locks are open to kayaks, and if so, what the protocol is for using them? I’m planning on coming from the Sound side towards Lake Union, and thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were now closed to kayaks. Hoping that is wrong. Many thanks in advance.

B.

Open to kayaks
As far as I know, they are still open to kayaks. They fit them in among the larger vessels. It can be a bit of a wait though, they won’t operate them until they have more than a kayak or two in them. Or if it’s busy you can wait for hours.

Yes

– Last Updated: Nov-27-10 3:02 PM EST –

Yes. They will have you pass through the small lock.
I go up to the front of the queue, where you can still observe the stop-go signal light (if you are coming from fresh water - its a red green traffic light). From salt water, go to the front of the wooden wall on the south side of the channel. Once I'm in place, I wave a paddle, or hold it up in the air for awhile to make sure that I am seen. They will loudspeaker you in when ready and give you instructions as you come into the lock. There can be some minor eddies and current - no big deal, but just be aware.

its not that bad
Even on the busiest of weekends, my wait has never beeen more than about 40 minutes. Go to the front of the queue. This labor day weekend, They ran me through the small lock solo while all of the yachts got marshaled into the large locks.

Should someone named "Mr Mannerz"
really be taking cuts/going to the front of the line?! :wink:

(Thanks for the advice!)

(This is an old thread, but it still comes up on searches for kayaking through the Ballard locks, so here’s an update.)

For info, see the USACE page Boater Information, in particular the Non-motorized Vessels section, quoted here as of October 2021:

Non-motorized Vessels

Paddle boards are not allowed to use the locks.

Kayaks, canoes and other non-motorized vessels are only allowed to use the small locks - stay clear of the large lock waiting piers and traffic channels. Our ability to see you is enhanced if you stay on the South side of the channel. You will be notified by our public address system or by hand signals when it is safe to enter the small lock chamber. Please follow the safety tips below to facilitate your safe passage through the locks.

• Yield to larger vessels as they will be entering the chamber first for your safety.
  • Do not approach the spillway gates as strong currents and eddys may exist at any time.
  • While waiting for the locks on the downstream side you should wait on the South side of the channel between the small lock waiting pier and the public steps along the shoreline at Commodore Park.
  • While waiting for the locks on the upstream side you should wait on the South side of the channel East of the southern finger pier between the pier and Lockhaven Marina.
  • Please be aware there are many potential hazards in the area and you need to stay alert to boating and water conditions around you.
  • If possible visit the locks to learn what conditions you will encounter when transiting the locks.
  • Attend one of our Locking Through classes.
1 Like

Great post. I see info on “Locking Through” on the URL you attached.

1 Like

I like to take tourists to the Locks and the fish chamber.
I have been through them many times, but never wanted to sit in kayak with all of those large power boats and sailboats. I would portage them.

1 Like