Bannock Bread Over The Fire

I was wanting to make Bannock bread over the fire on my next camp out. Anyone got recipes or baking advice?

Yes please
This is something I’d also like to know about.

Sig’s recipe

– Last Updated: Jan-29-08 5:15 PM EST –

Check out
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/JMC/Olson/9705.htm

not much better authority than the leader of the Voyagers!

Campcrafter

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -Nessmuk

Bannock = Indian fry bread
Fry bread and bannock are the same thing. “Google” Indian fry bread, and you’ll find all you need to know

Yours is similar
to the recipes in my dutch oven books. I’ll check when I get home for more options.

Fry bread and bannock are NOT the same thing. They may be similar in ingredients, but fry bread is deep fried. Then, you can make Indian Tacos by adding taco meat, cheese, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa on top. Yummy! It is a Pow-Wow favorite all over the Great Plains and Southwest.

Bannock

– Last Updated: Jan-29-08 9:22 PM EST –

Bannock is baked, Frybread is fried.

For quick and easy I use Bisquick complete mix. Mix to a dough consistency and turn out into a shallow, lightly greased pie pan. This I sit near the coals and turn every so often. As the dough starts to firm up prop the pan up on it's side so that the heat bakes the top.

Again, turn the pan so it bakes all over. It's done when you can insert and remove a small stick without and dough sticking to it.

If you want a regular recipe use 4 cu flour, 1/8 cu lard, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder. Mix well and add water to dough consistency. Do not knead the dough, just mix. Bread is kneaded, but Bannock is merely "acquainted". This makes for a lighter bannock.

You can also form the dough around sticks and prop them up over the fire. I saw the Cree In Moose Factory cook bannock this way and it was delicious.

Recipe from:
The Lodge Manufacturing Co., “Lewis & Clark Camp Dutch Oven Outdoor Cooking” book that was included with one of their camp Dutch ovens. They have modified historic recipes to accommodate ingredients available today. This bannock recipe is good for a low fat diet!

Basic Bannock

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons powdered skim milk

2 teaspoons double-action baking powder

“Cooking the bread in camp or in your fireplace is simple. Preheat a 12” Lodge camp Dutch oven, using 8 coals on bottom and 17 coals on top. Combine all ingredients. Add enough cold water to the bannock mix to make a soft dough. Mold this rapidly, with as little handling as possible, and place in the hot Dutch oven. The reason for handling the bannock as little as possible is that when liquid is added to the dry bannock mix, it releases gas from the baking powder. This gas causes the dough to rise. Rough handling can cause the gas to escape, leaving you with flat, hard bread. It is interesting to note that cold water releases the gas much more slowly than warm, giving more time to form the bread and get it into the pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes. After you have cooked bannock awhile, you will learn to tap it with your finger and gauge by the hollow sound when it is done."

They have several recipes using the basic bannock mix, which can be made up at home, in needed quantities, and zip lock bagged to take on a trip. The book was printed in 2003 and may still be available from them. It has lots of good things in it, including tips on using and caring for your D.O.

How about the weakly articles right here
http://www.paddling.net/sameboat/archives/sameboat94.html

Of all the bannock recipes I’ve tried so far, this one has the best taste to trouble ratio. The only easier method I’ve found is the bisquick method already mentioned above (instant pancake mix works well too). The bisquick/pancake method comes out a bit more like a big biscuit in texture though. I have had other bannock recipes that were much more moist, but they were almost cake like and contained too many perishables. The one I mentioned above from the weekly articles has an indefinifte shelf (or pack) life making it great for our uses.

Tips: Mix in dried cherries, cranberries, trail mix, or even chocolate chips to wow the kiddies. Pack in a can of sausage gravy to dip your bannock in. Mix cheese into the batter for breakfest or dinner. Use bannock as the base for camp pizza. Lastly, cast iron is truly worth its weight…For car camping, a large skillet or a dutch oven is a great item. Paddle camping? Pack a smaller 7-9" skillet. You’ll be glad you did when you make food like this.

Jim

can of sausage gravy
Forget the can. I use package gravy mix from the store. Just add water. Fry up some jerky and crumble into the gravy.

Used to Make it Myself…
…but tried the stuff from Cache Lake now and take it on all my trips. Here’s a link. WW

http://www.cachelake.com/fnimall/

Bannock bread recipe

– Last Updated: Jan-31-08 5:08 PM EST –

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup powdered milk

At home, mix these dry ingredients together and store in an air/water-tight container.

Take with you a stick of crisco. When you are sitting in front of the campfire, ready to make the bannock, add 3 tablespoons of crisco, and knead it together. Then mix in about 1 cup of water. Roll it between your hands into long pieces, wrap them around a stick, and cook over fire until done (use best judgement)

Have fun adding different ingredients for different variations. One of my favorites is to add raisins, a little cinnamon, and a little brown sugar to taste.

Sounds Yummy!
Will certainly be trying some of the recipes posted :slight_smile: