barometric pressure affects fish hunger?

Just heard this unexplained phonomenon:

Besides predicting the weather, you can use barometric pressure to predict your odds of catching fish…you will have better luck when the pressure is rising & catch fewer fish when it is falling…

Anybody?

Barometric pressure
The science behind this theory is that high pressure affects the swim bladder of the fish and causes them to not swim as well. When they feel the pressure rising, they are going to feed while they still have maximum mobility. My personal experience has shown me this is probably true. I have not though, noticed much difference in the bite on a falling barometer. Another one of those fishing rules with exceptions.

Just the opposite …

– Last Updated: May-21-08 9:38 AM EST –

.......... and most noticable at the "early" stages of an impending "low" coming in (inclement weather system-falling baro.) , the fish bite activity increases (high bite activity), even dramatically if other conditions are favorable .......... shallower water presentations such as working shorelines 2'-12' depths in fresh water landlocked impoundments , ie. lakes , ponds ,resivours is when a falling baro. can be your rabbits foot ........... after the low has set in deeply fish usually will exhibit the typical "lock jaw" syndrom ........... when the low is passing and the baro. trend starts "rising" again , shallow water tactics usually begin to be productive again but the bite will be slow (slow-moderate bite activity) .......... a fully developed "high" presure system (fair weather) sends me to deeper water tactics (12'-25') ......... I always look forward to the very beginnings of a "low" coming in , things can get exciting then .......... just think of like this , the fish begin to feel lighter as baro. begins to fall and thus more active ..

Part of a combination
of factors depending on location. Our trout creeks are affected by weather changes that also lead to insect hatch changes, IE: the barometer falls, clouds move in triggering a BWO hatch and trout feed.

Another scene: Farmers want more water and call for the irrigation company to open the gates more at upstream reservoir. Water level rises (or falls when they close down the gate) and fishing falls off with flow changes.

The pressure makes a noticeable change in my fire water storage tanks at work. I have a gauge that reads the level in feet of water. It has a bourdon tube like most gauges (as opposed to the old float and rope gauge.) The tanks are vented to atomspere. I can watch the gauge change by several inches when the barometric pressure changes.

Definitely a factor
Falling barometric pressure is great! Just before a storm, and even in a storm (so long as there’s no lightning), I’ve had fantastic fishing. As soon as the storm passes and the bluebird skies come out, may as well go home to toss a frisbee. You aren’t catching any more fish for a while.

Some of the best surf fishing I’ve ever had was on a barrier island in North Carolina. We were catching like crazy in the ocean surf while watching some water spouts on the Pamlico Sound coming directly at us trying to gauge how long we had before they made landfall. We picked up our tackle and ran back to the house with about five minutes to spare. We caught enough croaker to feed eight adults.

• Big D

Partly, it seems to me what happens
is the bait fish get active, the predators feed big time, then the front arrives, the predators are full and go off the feed. I see the same thing after big rains cause a heavy flow when fishing for catfish. First day or two during and after the rain, fishing is great. But, even if the flows continue to be heavy, the fishing diminishes.