Barrels for canoeing?

Hello!

I am trying to buy some new or used barrels for canoeing but it seems like prices have gone up so much since I last bought some 10 years ago. Plus, I live in Chico, CA, and can’t seem to find a place where I could buy them from. I am willing to buy on-line.

Plus, what should I get. I was thinking Black Feather, but are they the only one that make barrels with the waterproof clip?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gen

Blue Barrels

– Last Updated: Mar-02-05 6:29 PM EST –

I bought mine from Rich Arneson:
http://www.geocities.com/arnesr31/bluebarrels.html
bluebarrels4sale@yahoo.com

Not sure if he still has any.

You can also check out US Plastics:
http://tinyurl.com/6bjkr

Their barrels are not as beefy as Black Feather. But they are waterproof and not too expensive.

Also these on WCA BB:

PLASTIC BARRELS $10 TO $20 EACH
Food grade plastic barrels, various sizes (20 to 200 litre), various colours and styles. Closed top barrels and open top barrels with plastic lids and metal retaining rings. Barrels with and without handles. Great for camping, rain barrels, boat docks, etc. Also have 1000 litre plastic totes. Photos available.
Call Larry at (905) 516-1877 or EarthDayHamilton@hwcn.org

60 LITRE BARRELS FOR SALE
60 Litre barrels for sale... NO HARNESS. Blue barrels with recessed handles and black top with metal closure. Price $40.00 (quantity discounts avalable)
Call 519-498-2559 or Email matthew_mckaig@hotmail.com

BARRELS FOR SALE
60-litre canoe barrels: just in time for the paddling season! Blue plastic with black lid and metal snap ring closure. Recessed handles. No harness. Retail at over $89 at local outfitter. Asking $25.
Call Fred at (519) 624-2328 or respond via e-mail to Email foliff@gto.net

Thanks!
Thanks for the info. I will look into that. I saw USplastic web site but I wasn’t sure how good they would be for canoeing.

Gen

US Plastics barrels
I had one for a couple of years. It worked fine. Just wasn’t a beefy as the Black Feather. The clamp wasn’t as robust either. They also sell replacement clamps.

It did have a gasket and waterproof seal. and the flat sides make for easier portaging.

US Plastic Blue Barrel
I boought the 10 gallon two years ago and placed it in a used military duffle bag that had backpack shoulder straps, it fit nicely and left plenty of room for extras too… Used it last year in the BWCA worked great… this year bought a 12 gallon to use the same way…

Bruce

Its not a barrel, but
it,s a five gallon dry wall style bucket with a Gamma Seal lid. Lid snaps down on bucket, center of the lid screws on or off with a water proof seal. Got mine from sportsmansguide.com for $5.95. Size is right for a cook kit, food stuffs or a change of clothes and makes a decent gravel bar chair with a cushion of some sort.

US plastics
We have a 8 gallon square barrel that we used in the BWCA. As noted, the lid and strap aren’t of great design or quality, but is functional. I made a frame out of 3/4" PVC tubing and then attached shoulder straps from one of my backpacks. The frame also served as an attachment point for lines to stow above ground overnight. It started out with 6 days worth of food (for three) and some cook gear, after 2 days out, all the cook gear would fit. Total weight was about 37#. It was also nice for keeping fragile foods in good shape. The frame was bungeed to the center thwart in the canoe which worked well.

Mike

Re: Its not a barrel, but

it,s a five gallon dry wall style bucket with a

Gamma Seal lid. Lid snaps down on bucket,

center of the lid screws on or off with a

water proof seal…

I have a couple of these, and I’m very happy with them. On portage, I stuff them two at a time into my boundary pack.

I have a barrel, too, but when times are tough and nothing below the elbows works, the clamp ring closure seems to be too fussy. It doesn’t get to go along on some trips.

The 5 gal. spackle buckets stow nicely in the canoe, but they’re kind of slippery and not particularly easy to lash in securely. I finally drilled a set of holes through the rim reinforcement (not through the pail wall) and looped some nylon through them.

… and makes a decent gravel bar chair with a cushion of some sort.

and, upright, the tops collect rainwater :-).

rj

Blue Barrels
Northwest Canoe in St Paul has very good prices on the blue barrels. Here’s their address:

http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/category.asp?category_id=12

Steve Baker