Beach day in Michigan

Thought some of you might enjoy these pics taken this morning at Silver Beach. This area gets buried in sand due to the prevailing winds from the west. About 10 miles south of here is Grand Mere state park which I’m told has the largest collection of freshwater dunes in the world. You can see the St Joseph lighthouse in the background of a couple of pics, it’s at the end of the St Joseph River where it empties into Lake Michigan. Some of the big mounds that are made of both snow/ice and SAND will take frickin forever to melt…they stand up to many days and maybe weeks of 70 degree weather.

Gulls are tough!

The sign warning “do not enter - severe tire damage”? Looks like there’s a fence behind it. And cars behind the fence.

I bet the sand covering the snow acts like an old time ice house. Before refrigeration it was big business to cut ice in the winter and send it south to be stored in ice houses. Beautiful lake front on the great lakes.

@Rookie said:
The sign warning “do not enter - severe tire damage”? Looks like there’s a fence behind it. And cars behind the fence.

Yep…the first two shots are right on the shoreline and the last two are at the Silver Beach parking lot. Sometimes the parking lot is completely buried in sand by Spring. The locals seem to know exactly where to put the snow fences on the beach so we end up with sand mountains right next to the road but not on the road.

Just wanted to share some of the local highlights. Right now I’m jealous of folks that have swamps to explore.

@TomL said:

@Rookie said:

Yep…the first two shots are right on the shoreline and the last two are at the Silver Beach parking lot. Sometimes the parking lot is completely buried in sand by Spring. The locals seem to know exactly where to put the snow fences on the beach so we end up with sand mountains right next to the road but not on the road.

Just wanted to share some of the local highlights. Right now I’m jealous of folks that have swamps to explore.

Come on down! It won’t be long before we’ll be doing that.

@string said:

Come on down! It won’t be long before we’ll be doing that.

Tempting as it’s raining right now. Raining up here in the snow belt! But that will change to snow in a few hours. Should be be an interesting drive home, but the landscape will be pretty all dressed in ice.

57 days until spring…