"Bear" With It - Kayak Rescue Strategy...?

I am truly not sure what I felt watching this video…

Rather than pleading (something a “macho” part of me has a hard time doing), I think would either be throwing stones/heavy objects at the bear… Or, just accept and let it be…

PS. I realize what bugged me in watching this. In “stressful” situations, I revert to strong mental fortitude or an attitude of equanimity. This usually is what allows me to continue functioning in a stress situation and getting through it. Taking a “pleading” or “whining” stand only undermines by ability to be proactive in a stituation.

sing

I’m with the bear on this one. I hope he finished the job. Her screeching voice was intolerable. As unhappy as I would be seeing a bear destroy my kayak, I don’t think it wise to approach a bear just to keep one’s toy from being destroyed.

If it had attacked her because she’s an idiot, the bear would been hunted down and killed.

And, when you call a bear “bear” do they know you’re talking to them?

5 Likes

“Go away!” “Come here!” Yeah, that’ll work. She shouldn’t have stashed that box of Cheezits in the day hatch.

Can anyone tell what brand of spray that is? Needs to be more of a concentrated stream.

3 Likes

Sorry, for some reason this popped up in my Youtube feed!?! Thought this was new but It’s actually quite old (7 years).

I should have just let “dead kayak laid.” :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

sing

1 Like

I saw that video not long ago. She’s annoying AF and I was cheering for the bear tbh. That said, Black bears are easy to intimidate - but not by screeching at them. They respond to well-documented actions. I’ve been successful in the past while solo backpacking in remote parts of YNP where I encountered multiple bears. The ones that are acclimated to people are trickier (as are mamas with cubs!). Now this does not apply to Brown bears, which are a completely different and far more dangerous breed.

5 Likes

That poor bear had a lot of tolerance for screeching.

5 Likes

Yet somehow she managed to keep the phone/camera rolling and steady.

4 Likes

Stupid is as stupid does. 'Nuff said.

3 Likes

Yep. If a bear is threatening you and then destroying your kayak, the most important thing to do is take video and post on social media. (For insurance purposes?) :wink:

6 Likes

If your kayak is your ticket home and a bear starts messing with it, then it is time to get serious. If the voice and rocks don’t work, then move on to flash bangs and a couple of warning shots. As a last resort bear spray.

1 Like

For me the most disturbing thing about the video is her total lack of self-confidence. When the bear first ignores her incredibly weak commands then she adds frustration to her voice and when that doesn’t work she starts speaking in complete sentences. That doesn’t even work on a snickerdoodle. If she’s a dog owner I feel sorry for the dog.

2 Likes

Oh Man make her stop. I hope after he finished the kayak, he took a big dump on her porch too.

2 Likes

I just GUFFAWED.

1 Like

Hi Pru I forgot to send you a cyber Hug…Positive Mental Attitude is the key

1 Like

Buried in this annoying video is a pretty important message, it’s very important to ensure that your food and cooking materials are kept isolated from your craft and not allowed to contact the hull while paddling…, just as you wouldnt cook near your tent…Nothing should be left in it and it should be cleaned, hatches open.

3 Likes

Pet peeve: why aren’t bear canisters airtight, waterproof and smell proof?

I suppose the safe way to camp is pack your food in a dry sack while paddling to avoid adding aroma to your boat, then re-pack into the bear can when you get to camp. In the morning you then pack it back into the dry bag before taking off. Stuffing all your food into a little can is a pita at the beginning of the trip; just hanging a bag could be easier, so why buy a bear can?

C’mon somebody, add a flipping O-ring.

1 Like

I’m guessing it was a helmet-mounted GoPro or something like that, already running when the bear showed up.

She sounded panicked, and unless she had friends or family on the sailboat it’s no wonder - looks like she was alone (no other kayaks on the beach), and there would be no easy way to get back to civilization from where she was (looks like Berg Bay Cabin, so at least she had a cabin to stay in, but I don’t think that waterway is much traveled).

Panic WILL make you stupid. On the other hand, she can’t blame her decision to be in that location by herself on panic.

Critter control 101. Don’t care if 2 or 4 legs. If getting angry is appropriate get good and pissed off, preferably very quickly, and don’t stop until the problem is convinced you are the bigger critter. Or don’t engage to start with.

Personally l would have considered throwing some food a distance from my gear and getting out of the way. Not sure about facing off a bear if avoidable with no one else around.

But if you are going to stop them follow thru with commitment.

Thank you!! Absolute fact. The only thing we can really control is ourselves - our thoughts and actions.

1 Like

I don’t like bear canisters. They are heavy and bulky and as you consume your food, they remain the same size. And as you said, they are not scent or waterproof. I agree with you that dry bags and a clean kayak are the way to go. I always carried an Ursa Sack while backpacking and either hung it or put it in bear lockers where available. I never even had chapstick in my tent - nothing with scent. Same should be true for kayaks in bear country.

1 Like