Beaufort , SC has been named a Top 5

Romantic Getaway by CBS.
And if you like paddling salt or blackwater, it is in the center of some of our (SC) best.
Give it a month though. February tends to be chilly and wet.

Is this what they call the Beaufort Scale?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

There are a few blowhards there.

And for those who don’t know - I didn’t until fairly recently - in South Carolina it’s pronounced “Byoo-fort”, unlike the one in North Carolina which is pronounced “Bow-fort”, like the scale.

I’m having a house built in Beaufort county right now and my wife and I are excited to move there in the summer.

The SC Low country is a special place. I haven’t lived there since I was 18 but still have pluff mud in my veins.
There are a lot of paddlers there.

Met and competed against a wonderful team of dragon boat racers at Carolina Beach this past summer that traveled up from Beaufort, SC. Every member of the team was a cancer survivor. They were a joyful bunch, and definitely made the event more fun.

@kfbrady said:
And for those who don’t know - I didn’t until fairly recently - in South Carolina it’s pronounced “Byoo-fort”, unlike the one in North Carolina which is pronounced “Bow-fort”, like the scale.

I’m having a house built in Beaufort county right now and my wife and I are excited to move there in the summer.

Be prepared to sweat, esp doing the physical part of moving.

@string said:

@kfbrady said:

Be prepared to sweat, esp doing the physical part of moving.

Yeah, I know, but that’s where Allied Van Lines comes in!

I think it might also be wise to visit the bughat.com website before we move there. Having kayak storage and easy access to the Colleton river should make it worthwhile though.

I am not familiar with the Colleton River. The Combahee River follows SC 462 from I-95 to Hilton Head. Although there are unlimited paddling opportunities in that area, the one I have enjoyed for years is to paddle in and around Pinckney Island NWR from the public ramp on US 278 just before it crosses Skull Creek on to Hilton Head.

Oops. That’s the Coosawhatchie River.

Thanks for the tip about Pinckney Island NWR. I’ll definitely check it out.

The Colleton is a part of that drainage that empties into the Harbor River and becomes Port Royal Sound. It essentially establishes the northern boundary of the peninsula that the town of Bluffton sits on, with the May River as the southern boundary.

The community we’re moving to there (Rose Hill Plantation) has a boat ramp and a floating dock on the Colleton.

Thanks. The tides scream through that area.

Yes, but there’s a lot of kayaking there. I guess I’ll always be paying close attention to the tide charts!

I’ve seen that public area off eastbound US 278 just as it gets to Pinckney so I know exactly where it is. We’ll be going down there again within the next month or so for a site meeting so I’ll go check out that boat ramp.

The Pinckney Refuge is a wonderful place for hiking, biking, and paddling.
Motorized Vehicles are not allowed beyond the parking lot and there are roads and trails all over it.
One of my favorite places.