Beginner Kayak question (again) :)

Dear all.

Long time reader, but this is my first question.

I’ve been thinking of investing in a kayak.

I currently live in Norway, on the coast, similar nature and ocean conditions like what you will find in British Columbia, Canada.

5,9feet tall, and about 185lbs.

I’m looking for a good kayak to handle not the ruffest seas, but mustly innshore paddling, but some ocean paddling as well. It must also be capable to handle, a maybe 2-3 days trip. Ink. tents, sleeping bags etc.

What kayak do you recomend, price range, 1000 - 2000 US dollars.

Yes, this will be my first kayak!

Thanks in advance!

Espen :slight_smile:

the good news

– Last Updated: Aug-09-10 12:49 PM EST –

Espen, is that @ your size you will have many kayaks that will fit you. Also, really any kayak say 13 feet or longer will easily pack for a 2-3 day trip.

For a kayak w. more glide per stroke I'd suggest 15 feet or longer. Width depends on how balanced you feel. Don't get too caught up in specs, tho, try a bunch of boats in your area. Try some w. skegs, some w. rudders.

Full perimeter lines are good safety and rescue features on a boat - more for you or someone else to grab onto. It is easy to augment w. additional decklines if you otherwise like the boat. In most cases to achieve the right fit you'll pad out the cockpit somewhat.

For the waters you like try for two bulkheads which give you two watertight areas for floatation. Float bags can be substituted but they do not create the dry compartments for camping gear that bulkheads do. Well, and you'll be using drybags to be sure '-)

Thigh braces are a plus if you want more performance & boat control. So is a low backband tghat doesn't extend beyound the top of the cockpit edge (the coaming). A low backband will also make rescues easier.

To get the most out of your budget, try a number of boats, and buy your favorite used... going used for your first boat is wise. You save money up front which you can use to buy a good paddle, a life vest, etc... and if your kayak preferences change as you get into the sport a used kayak typically is a better return on your money. Or you can keep it as a second boat for a friend.

The most important advice is to try a bunch of boats, see what appeals to you, and, if you can, take a lesson or two in your final choices, or paddle w. a kayak club and/or experienced paddlers. You will get a lot of good feedback on the boats you are trying, learn a lot about gear and preferences, and make some paddling friends along the way :D

I am packing to leave for symposium so won't be online much today, and other posters will probably suggest specific kayaks. See which ones are in your area that you can try. What *you* think about how the boat feels is the most important... have fun, good luck!

new boat
valley-aquanaut-lv.

Hvor bor du i Norge?
Har aldri hørt fra noen med kajak i Norge her på Pnet. Jeg bodde på Norge på mange år siden som student og ønsker til å reise til bakke for en tur i Lofoten oyene og Lys torn på kysten i Sørlandet.

Til dit spørsmål: plastic og billig Prijon Kodiak, fiberglass og dyrt Valley Nordkapp eller Aquanat.

Point 65; Whisky 18
Hi, not sure to answer in English or Norwegian, but hey, I’m not going to say and thing bad.

Først, så skriver du veldig bra Norsk! Jeg kommer fra Ålesund, på kysten. Kort veg til de kjente fjordene som Geirangerfjorden og Hjørungfjorden. Tror Norge kan være et eldorado for padlere. Har selv bodd i USA, men vurderer å flytte til Canada om jeg for sjansen.

Hvor studerte du i Norge? Det er bare å komme tilbake, det er mye kajakk utleige her! :slight_smile:

Well, back to the english language, i’ve been looking at a kayak called Point 65; Whisky 18 fiberglass.

Can’t wait to get started :wink:

I recently paddled a 17 ft Necky in
conditions as you described. I’m about your size and it was a great fit. The Necky had some manuverability for such a long boat, tracked well and was fast. $1200-$1500 plastic.

first boat
Tried and true. Nigel Dennis (ND) Romany at 16 feet or the ND Explorer at 18 feet. I’de personnaly suggest the Romany because it does very well under most conditions and has exceptional initial stability and is very manueverable. Hatches are very dry. The seat is fairly comfortable. I am about your size and have been paddling this boat for approx. 12 years. (I have paddled many others boats too) As the conditions get rougher, the boat seems to excell. No need for a rudder. I have only deployed the skeg a few times. Welcome to the sport.