Beginner Rafting Trip near PA

Howdy folks,

I am going to be leading an overnight kayaking trip in mid September am looking for some river suggestions.

We’ll be coming from Penn state (central PA) and the most I want to drive is probably around 4 hours. So any place in PA or close to the border would be good.

I’ll probably have around 10 people, most of whom are not experienced, so minimal rapids would be good. Also, a kayak rental company nearby would help.

I am thinking we’ll travel there on a Friday night, camp and have a full day Saturday and most of the day Sunday to paddle before heading home. I figure 25 or 30 miles would be appropriate. So we’ll need places to camp Friday and Saturday night.

Places I have considered so far are Allegheny reservoir area, Pine creek gorge and the Susquehanna. I am looking for some seclusion though, and these places do not appear to offer much. From google earth it looks like they all have roads running aside them most of the time and many towns.

Any suggestions on other places or info on the aforementioned would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Lehigh River
http://www.whitewaterchallengers.com/lehigh/lehigh-whitewater.asp

About 2.5 hours from State College.

Susquehanna

– Last Updated: Aug-22-09 8:58 PM EST –

Depending on water levels a couple of days on the Susq might be perfect.

Get ahold of the good folks at Blue Mountain Outfitters for rental and shuttle info. www.bluemountainoutfitters.net 717-957-2413

PA is the 6th most populous state .... there are plenty of beautiful areas but true wilderness seclusion is in short supply ... especially given the travel and safety considerations of your group ... my advice would be to focus on the "big picture" of what your group needs and not fuss too much over the possibility of roads.

Suggestions
Canoe and Kayak:

www.bluemountainoutfitters.net - Middle Susquehanna and Juniata

www.emo444.com - North Branch Susquehanna

www.rothrock-outfitters.com - Juniata and Raystown Lake

www.juniatariveradventures.com - Juniata (I don’t know anything about them.)

Raft, Canoe and Kayak:

Middle Youghiogheny - do 1 day, camp, and then do it again the next

www.wilderness-voyageurs.com - raft, canoe and kayak

www.ohiopyletradingpost.com - raft, canoe and kayak

I agree with what Topher said. What he didn’t say was, there are also TRAINS. Unless you are a heavy sleeper, any overnight on the Youghiogheny, Juniata or Susquehanna requires earplugs!!!