Belize -II

I deleted the first one since it was getting hijacked by people wanting to argue about exchange rates.

Who has been there ?

Did you go, or meet with with a outfitter?

Was it worth it?

I would like all the info, (pro and con) that I can get, on the paddling, (not hiking)

I am not interested in the exchange rate

Thanks in advance

JackL

I’ve been there twice
The first time was a package deal: 2 days in the rain forrest and 8 days at Glover’s Reef, with a company called Island Expeditions. At the island, we had single and double plastic kayaks that we used to snorkle out of. The diving was great; the paddling was geared for beginners, but fun because it was such a beautiful place. We slept in permanant ‘tents’ and ate at the community dining hall. Showers were cold, but in that climate, no problemo. I would not hesitate to return to Glover’s Reef, but wouldn’t deal with Island Expeditions because they ripped us off at the end of the trip. It’s a long story - PM me if you are interested.

The second trip included a week on an island and a week at an upscale resort in the rain forrest. The island part of the trip was arranged by Sea Trek in the Bay Area of California. I don’t remember the name of the island, but it was run by something like the ‘Oceanic Society’. The diving was disappointing and kayaking was just ‘okay’. We didn’t do any swimming after dark because there were some HUGE crocodiles living in a pond 100 yards from our cabin. (right behink the cook house where they get scraps) I didn’t realize they could get so big in Central America.

It’s hard to know how your trip will go, but it can be really good or really uh, challenging.

And you tend to get what you pay for.

LF

Thanks
do you have any idea what the weather is like there in April ?

Jack L

For us, it was good weather in April.
Warm days and the occasional afternoon rain shower. Did a little resort paddling, but that was it. Out on the cayes is good paddling but you need to know which cayes will allow you to stay.

Dogmaticus

Not much info, but . . .
Who has been there ?

Yes, twice.

Did you go, or meet with with a outfitter?

Just went on our own, no reservations.

Was it worth it?

Yes.

I would like all the info, (pro and con) that I can get, on the paddling, (not hiking).

Didn’t do all that much. Borrowed a dug out canoe from a local guy for some playing in the waves and then rented a tandem canoe for a river trip – just one day.

Maybe your other post was the one where I mentioned Island Expeditions. Some people we met had just come off one of their excursions and only had good things to say about them.

Try belizefourm.com there is lots of info there on outfitters, tours and accommodation – pro and con.

Paul

Thanks,
That answers the weather question.

JackL

Thanks
As much as I would like to do it on our own, my daughter, and son-in law with our two grandchildren are asking us to arrange it, so I think we better do it with a guide/outfitter.

Normally we do our own research and then head off into the unknown by ourselves.

JackL

Went three years ago

– Last Updated: Sep-23-09 3:52 PM EST –

Didn't do any kayaking, but did some canoeing on some of the inland waterways. Specifically, Belize River, and one of its tribs, I think it was called Muddy Creek. Excellent night paddling, if you want to hear some weird frogs and some very cool night herons. We also did a trip on the Sibun River...nice flatwater trip with one easy Class II ledge. The only detractor on that trip was some gravel mining, right in the riverbed. We went late March, and the weather was great. We stayed at Howler Monkey Lodge in the Community Babboon Sanctuary near Burrell Boom. Not sure if they rent kayaks, but you can probably get a guide there. Cool community there too.

Cave Branch looked good too, but didn't paddle it.

-Chuck

I was in Belize in March 2008

– Last Updated: Sep-23-09 9:45 PM EST –

Three friends and I flew down to Placencia where we had made arrangements to rent some Prijon Kodiaks from an outfitter there. We paddled about 20 miles out to the Queen Cays the first day and then spent the better part of a week paddling down the cays to Sapodillia Cay at the southern end. We had made arrangements for a boat to come out there and fetch us back to Placencia.

Most of the cays where we camped were privately owned, but the caretakers let us camp for $10 U.S. per person. The people were very friendly and the snokling was outstanding. We had great weather.

I used National Geospatial Intelligence Agency chart 28162. Looking back over my emails I apparently purchased it from DiscountNautical.com. The cays are quite small but we could usually see the next one as a blip on the horizon and we hardly used the compasses at all. We programmed waypoints in my GPS, but didn't need to use them.

We were warned about the "fishermen" as being sort of demi-pirates. They are itinerant fisherman from Honduras that fished from small sloops and lived very rough out on cays that were nothing more than piles of coral rock. We only saw one of their boats and they just waived at us.

My memory being what it is, I don't have a lot of the details on the tip of my tounge, but with a little mental effort I could probably recall some information about each cay. If I consulted by friends I could certainly dredge up more helpful information. By the way, the Belize dollar is fixed to the U.S. dollar at two Belize to one U.S. Oh, and I recommend the conch fritters.

Ah, Belize…
Did a family trip there in 2007, 3 days at a resort near San Ignacio and 3 days at Turneffe Flats resort on the Turneffe atoll. Wonderful country, very friendly, easy to get around. If you want to focus on paddling, make sure you find an outfitter to rent decent kayaks, and make your skill level and expectations known. Most places cater to beginners, so you don’t want to be disappointed.If you can get an excursion out past the atoll, perhaps the Blue Hole or Half Moon Caye, do it. The snorkeling and diving out there is amazing!

After doing a resort-based trip to Belize, I would be comfortable going self-guided. As I said, it’s a pretty friendly place, with a mix of people of many backgrounds, racial and ethnic groups, and economic levels. It is not dirt poor as the neighboring countries are (take an excursion into Guatemala and you really see the difference) and doesn’t have a horrible crime problem. There is even a decent bus system. There are tourist resorts from rustic to luxury, and small guest houses with rooms to rent fairly cheap.

Have fun! I wish I was going back sooner than later!