Bell "Vermont" canoe

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Bell “Vermont” canoe for a very reasonable price and it’s in very good condition. I have not been able to find this model on Bell’s website and so have no real idea of what the capabilities of this boat are. Several questions: Has anyone had any experience with this canoe and would you care to comment? Is it primarily a river or a lake boat and what conditions does it work best in? Finally, it’s 16’6’’ long. Is this long enough for extended trips for two people, say for a week?

Thanks for the help.

Bell Vermont is a new Jim Henry

– Last Updated: Sep-03-05 9:47 PM EST –

design for 2005/2006. It was designed as an outfitter style canoe (tripper) and is Royalex, length is 16'8". Plans are for a composite Vermont but I do not know the specs of this canoe yet or any other details for this boat. That said, it should be a good one knowing Jim Henry's reputation for great canoes.

Nothing quite like a "Vermont" made Mad River canoe. Good name choice.

No info
on Bell’s website.

Hassel
Eric,

The Dan Hassel designed pro marathon canoe you refered to has been available for a couple years now. A friend of mine paddled one all of the 2004 season and also the 2005 season in the Michigan Canoe Racing Assoc. circuit, and finished the AuSable Marathon in one this year. It’s a decent boat for heavy racers but the Corbins are still faster.

PK

Placid Boatworks
will be doing the Fire series. They are doing StarFIre now and for 2006, Flash and Wild