Best adhesive between Minicell foam and a fiberglass hull

Can someone tell me a good adhesive to use between minicell foam and the inside of a fiberglass kayak…its an expedition layup with the weave plainly visible…__

Can’t think of any reason not to use Weldwood contact cement (the original - not the water-based).

@Steve_in_Idaho said:
Can’t think of any reason not to use Weldwood contact cement (the original - not the water-based).

Yep, the red label…

Another vote for Weldwood, as above. Put a light coat on both the foam and the surface it goes onto.

Three votes

I agree with the others, but Lexel and any of the Goop products will work well too, though they take longer to cure.

@Celia said:
Another vote for Weldwood, as above. Put a light coat on both the foam and the surface it goes onto.

And make sure it is aligned before you press.

On the foam, I find that two coats are necessary, as the first one will typically be absorbed (unless the dark skin is still on the foam). On non-porous surfaces like fiberglass a single coat is enough. Weldwood makes a gel version of their contact cement that’s often easier to use, since it won’t run or drip.

Contact Cement works well with minicell foam. Might want to test a small piece first - contact cement will dissolve some types of foam but it does not seem to dissolve the minicell I have used.
Another option is construction adhesive. I have used PL3X with good results.

Thanks for your comments!

Lexel glues. Best there is.