best boaters' vehicle

Rav4
I have a 2009 with V6 and 4wd. Can easily carry two boats (mine are long), never had the need to carry more, but with longer bars I could. Have over 100K on it and still runs like new. with rear seats down I can lay down in it (6’). With the V6, it’s a rocket and can get 27 mpg highway. Never had any major problems with it.

You need
a girlfriend with money.

Good read, brings back memories.

I agree on the Forester
Bought mine in April (‘15) - decided the the -04 Liberty needed to live with my daughter as her Saturn was giving up the ghost. Also, she paddles & it was a bit odd with a 16.5’ strip kayak on the rood - maybe with another kayak too. people put the Liberty down, but that one has ~215K on it & is going strong.

Now the Forester is much more like a car. Rides smooth & handles well. I put winter tires on it & it has shown no sign of drama. The CVT seems OK - its certainly smooth. I do miss the ability to downshift to use engine braking. The CVT only had drive & low. Towing rating is down - its only rated at 1600lb. Ground clearance is similar, maybe a little lower. Inside space is a bit bigger and I like the under floor storage for straps, etc. although I miss the full size spare. We will see how durability works out. They did switch to a chain from a timing belt so that’s better.

get a pickup truck
my friends still love the fact that boats and gear get thrown in the bed, and don’t need to be strapped down, at least 'til the second row of boats gets loaded anyways.

seem nice, would like to see specs of

– Last Updated: Jan-19-16 2:25 PM EST –

gearing...etc = for off-pavement tires(if desired).
Otherwise seems like a versatile vehicle.

definitely something to think about as
an option…

Amphicar!
You never have to leave the seat!

http://www.amphicar.com/images/vintage_amphicar_in_water.jpg

Too long for regular parking spots.

always top gear is nowhere

– Last Updated: Jan-19-16 7:20 PM EST –

eeers a gudun for the Keys

http://goo.gl/AGZmiT

a second look

– Last Updated: Jan-19-16 7:39 PM EST –

http://goo.gl/Ja2FBs

check out the Haaglunds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMk1PrYt2v8

people think we're nuts?

another vote for Subaru Forester
I have a 2010 Forester XT (the turbo model).

With proper roof rails (unlike the Outback), I use aftermarket Malone crossbars and can carry four kayaks with stackers on top. The turbo model is quick, but mileage suffers.

This is the ideal ski and kayaking vehicle. Itis unstoppable in snow, and has more than enough ground clearance for any dirt road I need to pass to get to put-ins. For another $100, I added a UHaul tow hitch which allows me to pull a kayak trailer that hauls 6 more. Yes, I can take 10 kayaks to the lake. Unfortunately, the car only holds five people.

This is my fourth Subaru and all have been trouble free past 100K miles.

Forester
Another advantage to the Forester is you’re not limited anymore to the small engine nor the CVT. It’s available now with the 2.5 engine as well as with a manual transmission.

Bill H.

a 4 wh drive pickup truck
with a crew cab would be suitable since he wants to shuttle up to 3 people. May have to order a long bed, as the short beds are the ones on the lots.

Did the Foresters stop coming with a
manual transmission for a while?

Our 2009 is a manual. And naked roof.

someone sell me a Forester over a RAV4
presuming I don’t need AWD. I bet you can’t do it.

manual
No I think the forester has always had the manual option, it’s just so few cars now days have that option. In my mind it’s a better choice if you’re hauling kayaks etc. than the CVT.

Bill H.

No manual available for turbo
The naturally aspirated Forester has a manual option (6 speed)

I’m leaning toward the forester
right now, I’ve driven one and it felt pretty car like.

Have ridden in my friends rav4- she likes it a lot, but acknowledge road noise is more and drives more like an suv. Yet none of this is factoring in my decision thus far

rav4 appears to be a few thousand dollars more than the forester

forester price can be further reduced with aca discount

Subaru is offering 1.49 financing on the forester right now,

subaru dealer is located a bit closer to me than Toyota dealer

owned an outboack and was happy with it, and just like the ads that were on tv, my wife survived a major accident (tboned by a tractor trailer) because of the side curtain air bags. Not sure what kind of airbags the rav has

I know the outback did really well in the snow and the dealership was good about finding a replacement when the car was totaled.

I guess in the end it comes down to thinking that I can save a bit with the forester, and get a more car like driving experience, rather than the handling of an suv. I think either one will work for hauling kayaks. Rav is probably a better choice for hauling a raft, but I only do that a few times a year and can probably make the forester work.

So it just comes down to what you like and your individual situation and how much you want to spend and what dealer/brand incentives are being offered at the time of purchase.

Agree 100 percent
I have a Dodge Ram 4 x4, four door with the shorter bed, and the freaking thing is a monster.

If I didn’t need it for hauling our travel trailer, I would have no part of it.

I always park the farthest place I can find in the shopping centers, because I know I’ll be over the line on one side or the other.

jack L

spaced

– Last Updated: Jan-20-16 7:45 PM EST –

74.7 cubic feet of space with the rear row folded/34 with rear seat folk

150 for the Toyo

270 for an Econoline

average warm/cold weather kit per paddler in cu' feet ? 20''' ? for 2/3 days...one in one out one on or ?