Best info source/ guide for Adirondacks?

-- Last Updated: Oct-02-04 5:32 PM EST --

Hello, folks. We are hoping to get into the Adirondacks this coming summer. Never having been there, and being quite some distance away (I live in VA), I have to do all my plannig without scouting. I read all of the Adirondack threads posted here, but can any of you recommend a few books, websites, or other sources of information geared to canoe trip planning in that area? How about recommending some of the best (most scenic/private, cleanest) state or Forest Service type campgrounds, preferably on non-motorized lakes or ponds, where we can leave our camper parked a few days while we're out tripping? Many thanks! Happy paddling, Regan

Places in the Adirondacks
Just back from a weekend in the High Peaks region. First a suggestion of several books to find in your local library. Quiet Waters Guide: New York State, Adirondack Canoe Waters: Northern Flow and Southern Flow ( two separate books by different authors). There is a state Campground in Newcomb, New York on Lake Harris. Some motors allowed there, but nearby lake Rich is for none motorized craft. Saw river otters, blue heron and moose were seen in the area. Many nearby lakes and the headwaters of the Hudson river also You are on the south side of the High Peaks so you will miss the Lake Placid price$, if you know what I mean.

I live outside of Philadelphia and gladly make the six hour drive several times a year to restore my soul. I hope to retire in a few years and relocate to this part of serenity.

Keep on paddling,

Captainclyde

I know a good spot
Check into the St. Regus wilderness canoe area, you’ll love it there

Parking In the Adirondacks
I hate camping at the campgrounds, expensive, nasty pit toilets, no ready deadwood for a fire, and only a patch of gravel (for RVs) to sleep on. I suggest that you find a boat ramp, where you can leave your car/RV, while you paddle, and sleep in the back country. If you use a campground for parking, they will get you for day use fees (each day,) and the paperwork will take a half hour.

true, but
Having worked at a large NYS Campground for the past 2 summers, I have first hand experiance of what Mike is saying, and he’s right. That being said, there is absolutly no reason to park at a State Campground for wilderness camping. There are hundreds of launchs and access points all around the ADK’s, and you can find a free place to park/launch near pretty much any water that you want to put your boat on.

There are also some very nice, small campgrounds, where you can have a quiet and enjoyable experiance. Buck Pond and the Saranac Lake Islands come to mind.

Jamieson
Clyde is right, the Jamieson is an excellent source, and fun to read too! I would also recommend just getting a map! There is a great new map out, “Adirondack Paddler’s Map”, published by Paddlesports Press. This thing is full color, waterproof, topo, covers land from Cranberry to Union Falls, Mechem to Lake Eaton, Long Lake, ect. It costs alot (I paid $18ish I think), but it is well worth the cost. Also, it has all portages, campsites, leanto’s, and even land classifications (shows state land, forest preserve, ect).

Map
That map is sooo good. Buy it from St. Reigis Canoe OUtfitters.

Excellent tips,
folks, I appreciate it. Not knowing anything about that part of the country, I was thinking it would be safer to leave my trailer and truck in a campground the few nights we’d be gone. You feel that it would be safe to leave it in public parking at a put-in, etc? I’d rather spend a little money in exchange for some security, especially 15 hours from home.

(HATE those pit toilets!- better off in the woods!)

Thanks again, Regan

heh yup
thats where I got mine, they have a very nice store down there. I’m from SL, so its nice to buy local too.

yes
I absolutly feel that if you leave your vehicle locked, you won’t have any problems. In fact, for many of the State Campgrounds, its pretty much the same parking inside the campground as parking at any other put in. For Example, the Parking area for the Saranac Lake Islands Campground is just like any other put-in, and there are only DEC people there during the day. Also, I’m under the impression that with the exception of the REAL big campgrouends, ie. Fish Creek, there usually isn’t even a front gate/booth attendent on all night.

So, save a few $$ and park where its most convenient. I’m sure that once you deciede on a specific place to go, there are a dozen people on here who could recommend a good put-in.

ADKS
GET THE BOOK AN ADIRONDACK PASSAGE

Locked car
I have no fear leaving my van at a put in.

I enjoy the Dacks so much, I wish
do it all for the first time again. Cranberry, Little Tupper, Low’s Lake, Lake Lila the Saranac’s ad infinitum. Mid September on Lower Saranca w/ wife and dog, camping on an island is as good as it gets.

Best person source
Try Ike at www.lakegeorgekayak He is a down to earth knowledgable veteran of whitewater, canoe and kayaking in New York. Straight shooter, he will let you know how and where to find those special places and or refer to folks with specific information. Great place to get any kind of gear you may need as well.

As a long time explorer of New York, he has helped me know more.

Having been there several times
I highly recommend either St Regis Outfitters or Macs Canoe Livery. Both places offer a wide range of services and you can do much of your information gathering from their websites or over the phone. I’m partial to the Fish Creek Ponds area and Upper Saranac. You can do alot of loop trips there so you don’t have to ferry vehicles, just leave and finish at the same place. My favorite is to leave my car at the outfitters place down Floodwood Rd. and spend the first nite on the island in the middle of Floodwood Pond. From there you can go pond hopping or take a nice meander out into Upper Saranc and camp on one of the islands out there.

adk history
I am new to canoeing and loving it, looking to soak up info while I can’t be out paddling. Currently reading Christine Jerome’s " Adirondack Passage", what a great history book, and it also give you a good feel for the area. I can’t wait to get there next summer.

Great Adk web resource
Try this site :

http://adk.com/recreation/z-recreation.htm

then click on interactive map for a great overview of the paddling possibilities in Adks.(also available in print fom Adk Reg. Tourism Council - 800 487-6867 )

Would be happy to provide some specific rte recommendations if you provide some details as to your preferences (day or overnight(s), lake or river, fast or flatwater, length & # of carries you’d tolerate, laid-back or ambitious itinerary, shuttle availability, etc.

Great Adk web resource
Try this site :

http://adk.com/recreation/z-recreation.htm

then click on interactive map for a great overview of the paddling possibilities in Adks.(also available in print fom Adk Reg. Tourism Council - 800 487-6867 )

Would be happy to provide some specific rte recommendations if you provide some more details as to your preferences (day or overnight(s), lake or river, fast or flatwater, length & # of carries you’d tolerate, laid-back or ambitious itinerary, shuttle availability, etc.

Nessmuck
Don’t forget to read the about the first Sairy Gamp.

http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/books/gws/N.HTM

Canoe camping
I am no different than others hear, but wanted to again mention my favorites places we have wilderness camped.

Lake Lila, Bog river flow, Long Lake Lean too’s, Massawepie boy scout camp, Stillwater.

Can anyone give me a wilderness camping spot that have good northern pike, and bass fishing. No motor or portage in would be nice too.

See you on the water. Buzz