Best Kayak for Flyfishing

I’m an experienced fisherman but I am relatively new to kayaking and a complete novice to flyfishing. I currently paddle a Pungo Angler which I love. What would you recommend as the ultimate yak to flyfish from. I generally paddle on smaller freshwater lakes with relatively low distance paddling required.

Try a short SOT
I’d go with something small and maneuverable if speed isn’t a big concern. I’m not terribly experienced, but I find it a lot easier to cast a fly from the shorter boats. A good choice might be a Tarpon 100. I have a 120, but I wanted a bit more speed and the flexibility to add a rudder. Otherwise I probably would have gotten the 100 which is easier to transport and to fish out of. Then again, if stability is a big concern, you might want to go with a scow like the Ride. There’s always a tradeoff. . . .

I’ve heard…
but don’t know from personal experience that the WS Ride and the Malibu eXtreme are stable enopugh to stand in.

Like you I’m a rookie long-rod caster and I’m finding it difficult to cast while seated. I’m getting better but it ain’t easy.

fly fishing
I flyfish out of a Scupper Pro. Throwing flies from a kayak is gonna mean shorter casts, no problem because you can get closer to the fish. Your Pungo should work fine as a fly fishing platform. Stability is what you want while casting flies. False casting and doing flips after you catch a big 'un demand it.

Pungo Angler
I found my Pungo is a wonderful platform to fly fish from. The key for me was to “clean up” my sloppy casting. 11 o’clock and 1 o’clock, without fail, and I rarely hit the water. Also, I found roll casting to be pretty simple from the Pungo. Best of luck!

What’s the best way to carry…
…a rigged fly rod on a kayak when it’s not being used? I’m concerned about low-hanging branches, stick-ups, etc.

OK
OK Drifter is a terrific kayak to fly fish from. You can also stand and cast from this kayak.

Put the
reel just in front of your crotch and let the rod point out your aft as best you can.

You can slide the reel down past your feet and a lot less of the rod will be hanging out back.

Ditto
On what he said. I also will put the rod between my legs with it pointing forward.

The paddle holder.
Holds the paddle if fishing/anchored and holds the rod when moving. Just remember that a lot of rod is sticking out there.

rod holder
Install a Scotty flush mount rod holder and a fly rod holder. You can set the angle anywhere you want. And let the fly out behind you when you move. You’d be surprised how many fish you get trolling when on the move.

Rod holder
The Scotty rod holder is perfect, Cabela’s also has an anchor system that will work on the Scotty mount which will take up to a 20# anchor. In additon, Scotty also makes a bait caster/spinning reel holder. I have mounted two front and back on my 13.8 Old Town Loon and they work great. I now troll with my fly rod about 50% of the time and catch a lot more trout and salmon on streamers and leeches.

I Agree…
I second the suggestion of using a Scotty flyrod holder.I have a Pungo 140 and I have found it to be a very stable casting platform.The trick is to slow down your casting motion and use short well timed hauls to get your line to shoot out.I have my rod holder positioned to my right side just slightly to the rear and my rod angled down almost parallel to the water,facing the rear of the boat.This keeps it out of the way of snagging any branches and it’s less likely to break off if i flip the yak in shallow water.I also don’t have to twist myself around to pick up the rod when a fish is on.I haven’t found that the lower position has affected my hookups at all.When the fish hit a trolled fly they pretty much hook themselves.For spinning rods, nothing beats trolling a Rapala minnow or a stickbait.

Pungo’s
Are great for fly fishin or any fishing.I have the 140 and a Malibu eXtreme.Actually,most any SOT and rec style SIS will work just fine with fly tackle.The Scotty is probably your best bet for a rod holder.Ram also has a good one but it only works with rod’s that have a fighting butt.Good luck!

Kayaks for fly fishing
I don’t like fly fishing out of a boat, any boat, except maybe a bellyboat. Therefore, for me the best kayak for flyfishing is the one that is easiest to get in and out of. That way I can get to a spot where I can get out of the boat and stand up to fish in shallow water. If that approach makes sense for the way you like to fish, a short, relatively wide sit-on-top would be the best choice.

Another thing to consider notwithstanding the above comments: From time to time I find myself wanting to stay in the kayak while fishing (snakes and gators for instance), I have found a good rollcast is a blessing.

The most important thing of all is to remember to have fun. :wink:

Bill

fly yak
you can stand up easily in the tarpon 140 and should be able to strip your line into the tankwell

Yep, I forgot about the 140…

and the new Prowler too.

Pontoons can be added to most any yak for extra stability.

There’s a guy in Texas that has a poling platform built on his WS Ride and I bet it makes a nice casting platform too.

Not-so-related-note: I was able to back the truck up to a body of water today (No wind) and cast the fly rod while standing on the tailgate of the truck. WOW! That sucker can get out there. There was something very different about casting from an elevated place. All the things I had been practicing came together with almost zero effort while I was up there casting. In fact I had to back off to keep from casting too hard.

Unsolicited advice for other beginners: Find an elevated place to practice from. Develop what you learn up there. Refine it and bring it down to kayak level a little at a time.

Tight loops from lofty perches…

Kyak Flyfishing
I troll backward with my flyrod in a scotty flyrod holder. I try to zig zag and paddle at leech, or minnow speed. I catch more fish with a full floating line on the water and twenty foot leaders down to four pound test. A roll cast is a big help. I like to troll in 10 to 15 feet of water, or on a seam where two currents meet. Overhead casting while tough is easier if you can set up your casts with the wind, usually its blowing the wrong way.

Respectfully disagree on Yak’s advice
Practicing from an elevated platform will not give you the repetitive practice for when you cannot be on a platform. Get your basics down from a standing position, preferably casting in the water with your various flies for correct drag across/through the water. Get your basic casts down pat. Then practice from a kneeling position. A sitting position. A rotated torso position, ad infinitum. Then you will be ready for the learning through actual fishing… Unsolicited advice from a “permanent” beginner…

COBRA
FISH AND DIVE,WITHOUT A DOUBT…