Best Kayak for Huge Dog ?

Wow, that Kayrak is IT !!!
Thank you everybody for your input.

Angell, that Kayrak is IT !! What a perfect solution. Can get the kayak I really want and still get a custom super large stable platform for my Newfie!

There will be times, like hot summer, too much sun, when I won’t want to take him with me.

They will custom engineer to fit one’s kayak. Can finally buy the WS Tsunami 145. Of course I’ll have to call the Kayrak folks and see for sure that they can rig exactly what will work with the Tsunami but the kayrak looks really really good.

Only problem might be fitting in tight passages, but maybe they make shorter poles. Anyway this looks like the best ticket to everybody being safe and happy.

Was wondering how anybody could see to navigate with a huge Newf sitting in front, LOL Notice how many ppl want to kayak with their Newfoundlands.

I knew this forum would be aware of a variety of options – thanks paddlers!

Thanks Frank!
I will probably end up getting more than one boat / solution for this. Thank you for your kind thorough advice!

paddling with a dog
I paddled solo canoes for 10 years with a 70 pound lab (Jessie). I’d lean towards a canoe since the dog will have more room to lay down and move around than in a kayak (maybe the Clipper Sea-1 would be OK). In general I’d say it’s best if the dog is in front of you and within reach…so you can give the dog corrections as you train him/her. I think it’s also essential that the dog have solid (not slippery) footing or they won’t be comfortable. With a dog on the floor of a canoe (vs on a seat) the weight is low and actually helps stability. Is there some way that you can try various boats with your dog before buying?

Better check minimum length

– Last Updated: Dec-30-09 9:52 AM EST –

The pics seem to mostly show people in kayaks that are 16 ft or so - better check minimum rear deck length to make sure the Tsunami 145 has enough. Also volume - the pics that are of shorter boats have dogs that weigh less than a Newfie pulling the stern down pretty visibly.

Tsunami 145

– Last Updated: Dec-30-09 7:07 PM EST –

Wildy states a max capacity of 350 pounds for that boat. Even with the kayrac, the boat will still need to float the weight of you and the dog, so unless you're pretty small I'd say you should look for a bigger boat.

Looks like the Tsunami 175 carries 400 pounds. Not sure if there are many other single kayaks that can carry that weight. Your dog is the weight of another adult, so I think you really will need to get a double kayak (or a hybrid kayak or canoe), to avoid overloading.

Corona from Feel Free or Jon Boat
Corona should hold you and 2 Dogs -

Pamlico 135T
We went to the Aldercreek Boathouse today and sized up some kayaks.

The Tsunami 145 is definitely the kayak I want, waiting for email back from kayrak to see if it’s long enough / enough weight capacity with the kayrak system to work.

Out of all the boats we thought the Pamlico would fit a Newfie in the kayak best. There’s a used Pamlico 135T there in good shape for a decent price. Will have to try it!

Have you considered add-ons?
Perhaps an outrigger add-on can do the job for you.

http://www.kayrak.ca/

other places to look for info
If you don’t actually have the puppy yet you have plenty of time to get out at actually look, make a chart of notes etc.

I would hang out on some duck hunting and fishing forums. Traditionally they used boats but many have moved on to using kayaks and have done lots of experimenting and modifying - they should be a good source of info.

I’m large too. Large enough that my flexibility gets limited. Getting in and out, up and down in a kayak isnt as easy - the dog is going to get in and out - you will probably need to help it, the low seating in kayaks that give you that warm fuzzy stability feel is going to work against you there. There will be more capsizes - I would take that into consideration. I think a SOT would be safer. I would also seriously consider a canoe as suggested.

I agree - there are always people looking for kayaks that will handle a dog. One probablem with SOT’s is the molded foot pegs or the mid cockpit humps that I assume are molded in for stability - they really take away from where the dog could sit. Which is why a fishing or hunting kayak may be good - but be aware - they are extremely heavy - I don’t think your going to get away from that. Everythings a trade off, there probably isn’t a perfect boat.

Update July 2010
Well, the Kayrak owner kindly emailed to say his platform isn’t meant for a 150 pound Newfie.

Tried a Pamlico 135T, an Ocean Kayaks Malibu Two XL SOT, and a Wildy Tarpon 130T SOT. The Malibu’s molded foot pegs did not give me enough foot bracing, and the Wildy’s did.

Tarpon is 71 pounds, but looks like it will do the job. Not ideal, a barge feeling, but can slide forward to more balanced seating position when Orka wants to swim, and can put a rubber mat down to even out the bumps for him. Alder Creek has the Tarpon 130T in stock.

This seems the best option for now, but as you all said, trading off speed, turning, etc.

Still hoping somebody will make a kayak specifically for paddling with huge dogs!

RE: Best kayak for huge dogs
I think Jackson Kayak would be the best choice for you. It has a large cockpit area for your dog to sit. It’s durable, wide, a lot of plastic, so make sure you’re tough enough to manage the weight and still enjoy it.

collapsible kayak