Best Paddle for Expeditions Are???

third on the AT xception
love it. i do recognize that it’s a very subjective thing tho. to me AT shafts just feel right.

and if there’s any doubt in your mind, yes, carbon is worth the extra money–especially on a long trip.

but both you and greyak
are in sandy beach heaven in south florida.

What about someone from rocky beach hell like maine, or north coast of superior…

Nimbus Zephyr and Vesper
I bought a graphite-bladed Zephyr in 2002; demo’ed it and immediately bought it. I used it all of 2002, 2003, and 2004. Over that period, I took several multi-day lake trips plus one month-long ocean trip in AK. I used the Zephyr on all of those trips as well as for day paddles near home, including paddle-float rescue practice. The paddle is still in great shape, only a few scratches and minor nicks.

This year, I still used the Zephyr and added a Vesper as my backup paddle. The Vesper has similar blade size and shape as the Zephyr (long and narrow). It has fiberglass blades instead of graphite ones but the same fiberglass shaft. Therefore, the only significant difference is added weight (and lower cost).

I now use the Vesper as my main day-trip paddle (and backup paddle for big trips) and reserve the lighter Zephyr for big trips. After all, being used to a heavier paddle means it’s a special treat to use the light one, especially since big trips are where the body gets more severely tested by long days, many days in a row of paddling, propelling an extra 45 to 60 lbs of camping supplies, etc.

I have no qualms about using a graphite-bladed paddle for big trips. I carry a spare anyway. However, I would never bring an untested paddle on such a trip, as either main paddle or backup unit.

Sand?
Not where I launch. More like old coral gravel, sharp oyster shells, dank mud with roots - or a mix.

The big coral/shell mix rocks can trash just about anything in short order. I just keep my paddles off them as much as possible.

hear hear.
words of wisdom there. remember beck weathers new boots on Everest.