Best Paddle for Expeditions Are???

Although there are many fine paddle out there, those of you who have taken multi-day ocean expeditions and in remote places, what are your ideas about which paddle are the most reliable.

I love the new ultra-light paddles, like Werner etc., but what thoughts are there for other makes that may be tougher? I number of friends have broken their super light paddles this year with placing little stress on them.

AT Xception
i’ve used it in Newfoundland on a month long trip, i use it on the Outer Banks … fact is, it’s the only paddle i use, every day – all day and it’s still going strong.

second the AT recommendation.
I really like the Lendal CF Kinetic paddle too. The 4 piece paddlok thing rocks.

I fell out of love with werner’s for some reason.

Or a wood GP goes a long way too…

Windswift

– Last Updated: Sep-26-05 12:22 PM EST –

Used mine on 20-30 mile crossings. Great all day paddle with decent bracing. They hold up well.. trouble is I keep losing them!

Used my Werner Ikelos
for 7 days in Kenai Fjords, Alaska and 10 days in the Outer Hebrides with no ill effects. The paddle has held up extremtly well. Used to think I would need to get a carbon/nylon Lendal but I’m starting to change my view.

NJP17

Usually a homemade GP
I have one specifically made for rough water and expedition paddling. A little heavier than my usual paddle, but tough as nails.

Makes a good tarp pole, or place to hang a bear bag (put it across two branches & you have 6 feet of shaft to tie onto) too.

I prefer to go with tougher rather than lighter in those situations, euro or GP.

Wayne

Werner
I have a carbon crank shaft and I really didn’t think I would like it at first. I’ve demoed and paddled with several Lendal paddles as well, and I really like them. However, I’ve really grown to love my Werner and I’ve gave it a severe pounding this season, including several good drops on some rocks and concrete…had no troubles thus far.

Damon

Greenland or Euro?
If you go greenland I highly recommend the Superior carbon, very light and durable.

If you prefer a euro blade the Tooksook is another great paddle, not light but very… abusable.

I wouldn’t look for a super light paddle for an expedition

Do tell us where so we can find a free
paddle! ;^)

:^)

Mick

Bear Lake Utah and somewhere in the
Pacific

I would actually say the reverse
on the superior carbon for durability. I am always extra careful not to nick and ding mine on rocks. I use it a lot for flat sandy lake michigan paddles, but if I was going to lake superior, I would take a wood epoxy model for durability. I think the last thing I would want would be a cracked and splintered GP while doing a long trip.

Have others had this impression of the paddle after extended use on trips or does it seem to hold up to the abuse as well as a wood epoxy paddle?

The most reliable expedition paddle is

– Last Updated: Sep-26-05 5:26 PM EST –

your back-up paddle. Be sure to take a heavier, abuseable paddle as a back-up, then you can take whatever paddle you like as your primary.

I saw some of those super-light Werners at the paddling shop... was blown away by their light weight... was not impressed that one of them had a blade cracked right across the middle...still in the store.

Bingo!

Strap that war club on deck and use your lightest $$ paddle, that’s why you spent all that $$…

My Superior…
… has stood up pretty well to almost 3 years of my ham fisted use. I certainly don’t baby it - but I’m not rock gardening, doing WW, of in plunging surf either.

It would be my number one choice. Toksook level toughness is just not a priority for me. That’s what spares are for. On a “real” expedition I’d probably have 3 paddles (two full GPs and a storm). Certainly not just one. My primary choice would be all about comfort over the long haul and rough (open) water capability.

I carry
the superior gp as the main paddle and the Toksook as the spare for all my overnight trips, they both get abused with “camping duties” but they never failed.

The Tooksook paddle has an advantage…
in that you could hand it to any one who killed their paddle and they could “get it.” You could flip it over for right or left hand control. It’s not my favorite paddle by a long shot, but it’s a great spare.

Augustus Dogmatycus

MMV

Maybe a lightning expediion
maybe a custom onno, maybe a lendal. Maybe a really good sawyer as a backup

Lendal or Werner

I think if you are going to buy…
…a new paddle for a multiday expedition you are making a big mistake.

Use the paddle that you have been using.

You know that works for you, unless your present paddle is a big heavy el cheapo one, and even then if you get a new paddle you should do a bunch of long paddles with it prior to your trip to make sure it is satisfactory.

Cheers,

JackL

Bracsa
Hi

Around here the Bracsa paddles are generally considered stronger than most Carbon paddles.

http://www.braca-sport.com/paddles/

However Bracsa has an unhandy joint for their split shafts, which takes a screwdriver to take apart. I bought the blades separately and use a Lendal shaft instead.

For a super strong carbon paddle consider the Rough Stuff’s Sea Walker: http://www.roughstuff.ie

I had one some years ago but was never fond of it, as it felt too heavy.

Taking a GP as spare for any gear hauling trip certainly makes sense.

/Peter