Best PFD for touring kayaks

Be sure to check out lots of consumer reviews for Lifejackets here too:

Just checked in on this thread. Manual inflation? Absolutely can’t see it for safety in chilly water. Blowing out precious energy to inflate the thing seems like an excellent way to increase the hell out of your risk.

By manual inflation it means (usually) that it doesn’t fill with air automatically when you hit the water - you have to pull a handle. Most, but not all, also have a tube where you can blow more air into it if you need to.

For kayaker/canoe dudes having a PFD that fills with air as soon as you hit the water would not be a good thing. I don’t recommend them.

ever see a valve fail on things?

Not on a PFD but I had a Ford once that had just about every valve fail.

@DrowningDave OK, I misunderstood the manual part. But it is also reliant on a cartridge from what I saw on the site, which means if you do need it you either spend the rest of the paddle with the extra support present around the neck (uncomfortable) or have to stop and put in a new cartridge (unclear if that would work on the water).

I don’t see any way this is an improvement in safety or comfort for paddling from a properly fitting regular PFD that lays close to the body without chafing, is clear around the neck and shoulders and delivers 16 to 18 pounds of flotation without having to do . This kind of PFD is a good idea for sailboaters or motor boaters. Just not for kayaking.

Agreed. Not a good choice for paddlers. They are better for serious emergencies especially due to the ability to keep an unconscious person’s face out of the water, unlike most paddlers pfds.

@DrowningDave Thanks.The head part would make them useful for a longer time in the water, where rescue could take some time of maneuvering a boat back around.

The ACA requires wearing a PFD when teaching rolling even standing in the water. The CO2 belt manual inflatables with the manual blow up option fit the requirement and are out of the way for the most part…easy and not bulky for standing waist deep in the water . When paddling I like to have a regular PFD with POCKETS.

Another option…

http://www.stohlquist.com/life-jackets/fishing-pfds/fisherman.html

And they have other high-back models.

I have an Oynx A/M 24. You forget you are even wearing it.

PFD are sort of like shoes. It is best to put it on and sit in a boat and pretend to be paddling before buying.

@string said:
PFD are sort of like shoes. It is best to put it on and sit in a boat and pretend to be paddling before buying.

Can that be done online?

You don’t have any paddling gear shops in your area?

@willowleaf said:

All we have remaining is a Dick’s in our town. 90 miles away is a Scheels and a Bass Pro Shop, but I would have low expectations of finding anything of interest at those places.

@willowleaf said:

I meant it as a joke actually but we do have one and it’s not very good.

@DrowningDave said:

@string said:

Can that be done online?

Yes if you want to pay shipping to shop.

@DrowningDave said:

@string said:

Can that be done online?

Yes if you want to pay shipping to shop.

Most places have free shipping, especially for expensive items like a good PFD.

@DrowningDave said:
Most places have free shipping, especially for expensive items like a good PFD.

Free one way no?