Best PFD for touring kayaks

Depends on the company.

Who has free shipping both ways if you don’t like a PFD? What is the cost to ship one? I’d like to try astral green. Guess I have to go to River connection one day but it hasn’t happened yet. May do paddle trip mixed in would make the drive easier. Usually paddle alone so fitting someone else’s is hard.

@PaddleDog52
Marshall runs a meet-up through The River Connection. https://www.meetup.com/The-River-Connection-Kayakers/?_cookie-check=m_itLmXopr3XgfBn

Get there early, try on some PFDs, then go paddle with him.

Inflatables are cooler on those 95 degree Florida summer days.

Riverconn probably 3 hr each way. Hard so far to get there although I would love too.

where are you located? If you are 3 hours from Marshall’s I would think you would be within the radius of some other outfitters.

I’ve had great experiences mail-ordering from Outdoorplay. Got my first Astral from a brick and mortar L.L. Bean store but ordered the other two from Outdoorplay. They’ve got an “intro” coupon right now for 15% off, plus free shipping over $49. I seem to recall that they had prepaid return shipping labels in their shipments.

Long Island. RC is two hr + plus trafficc

Bummer – the Small Boat Shop in Norwalk closed 3 years ago – they were the best outfitted paddling shop along Long Island Sound. What kind of stock in PFD’s do Empire Kayaks (Island City) and the Dinghy shop in Amityville have? Astral lists the Dinghy Shop as one of their dealers.

Empire stocks more cheaper rec type jackets. They kind of do mostly rec and fishing hobbies now. Sea kayak gang has disappeared from them.

Dingy I can look and see easy. But I was there 5 months ago. Slim pickenings. Don’t remember any Astral except dog stuff. Guess Marshall drive or eat the freight. Not sure if I need large or XL right on on border between listed chest size.

“eat the freight”??? Outdoorplay has free shipping over $49. BTW, I have found Outdoorplay’s on line consultants helpful with sizing. You can text them right on the site or call their toll-free number.
No, they don’t pay me to huck for them – I’m just a happy customer of theirs.

@PaddleDog52 said:

Guess Marshall drive or eat the freight. Not sure if I need large or XL right on on border between listed chest size.

Marshall’s shipping costs are very reasonable and I’m pretty sure if you give him your body measurements, he can help with the correct sizing.

There’s a vast customer service difference in dealing with a dedicated brick and mortar kayak outfitter run by an ACA L4 instructor versus an online retailer.

That’s why I’d rather support Riverconn. He’s close and shipping to me is super fast. Like next day most times if he mails before 10 am.

Once you try a Stohlquist PFD you will never go back to those other brands. I have sold them all and Stohlquist beats them all on comfort by light years.

I have a sohlquist Trekker and it’s comfy. Lacks pockets I like and some other features of a more serious sea kayak jacket.

Depends on the Stohlquist. I have never found one that fits me properly and I find the foam that they use to be stiff and hot.

I haven’t tried a Stohlquist that I liked better than My MTI Orleans, but I haven’t tried every Stohlquist out there.

My Astral V-8 will probably out last me.

Not sure my Astral V8 will last too many more seasons. Most of the wear damage below is from several Everglades Challenge races.

What sold me on the Astral, as compared to my previous Kokatat MsFits PFDs is the very light weight and the ventilation. The Kokatat, while well made, feels like a lead flak jacket in comparison and is much hotter. I sometimes think that Kokatat forgets that not everyone lives in cool climates.

I’ll keep using the previous V8 model as long as possible. The new model has better pockets, but doesn’t fit me as well as the previous model, the front panels don’t wrap around my torso as well, but maybe that would “break in” over time.

Greg

Greg, mine won’t see your amount of usage in 2 lifetimes.