Best recreational kayak upgrade - Old Town Loon, Wilderness Pungo, or other?

Nice! I like Borealis, is that what you got?

@cwatkin said:
I ended up with the WS Pungo 120 and think I am going to like this one. I have used others with a similar hull design and find it stable, yet handles well. This is considered a dihedral hull. I will take it out this Sunday if the streams around here aren’t flash flooding from the tropical storm remnants.

Conor

Good choice!

I ended up with the Borealis color. I have taken it out twice and am not 100% in love with it just yet. What am I doing wrong?

It tracks great but just feels awkward to me for some reason. I went down from a 240cm paddle on my Old Town Vapor 10 to a 220cm on this one. the 240cm which many would consider too long for me seemed great on the Old Town. This is a wide boat and sits 4-5 inches higher than the Pungo. The extra height seemed to more than make up for the longer paddle. The 220cm almost still seems too long on the new boat. I am a high angle paddler and I had another thread about paddle length. Everyone seemed amazed that I was happy with a 240cm paddle. Basically it seems like the ideal fit in the Old Town Vapor but certainly not this boat.

I am 5-10 or 5-11. Should I look for a shorter paddle or are there any other suggestions? I feel right at home paddling the Vapor 10 with a 240cm paddle but this one seems awkward with either a 240 or 220. It is certainly better with a 220cm but something still feels out of place, especially with paddling. I don’t know if this just isn’t the boat for me or if I just don’t have things setup ideally yet.

I certainly don’t want to give up on it but am also willing to sell it at get something else if that is the best bet. I think I just got lucky that the paddle and boat setup I ended up with worked well with the Vapor 10. This was bought on a whim with little research and can say I am happy with that one. It is now my spare but I would like a longer haul boat with the dry hatch that makes me happy.

Let me know any suggestions you might have. Remember that I just got serious about kayaking this year. I figure others here will have a better idea of what might make me happy.

Thanks,

Conor

My friend, you have no idea what you might be getting into, but I would strongly recommend that when you get the chance, try out a real sea kayak. Fair warning, you might have the urge to throw rocks at your present boats.

Sea kayaks are a totally different animal than either of your current boats.
You need seat time and instruction more than anything.
You can’t make an informed decision based on your VERY limited experience.

Try getting some lesson from a qualified instructor before presuming that it is the equipment that is the issue. The “awkwardness” is most likely your technique which is going to be more obviously lacking the more the boat you choose has the ability to perform better. Kayaking is not intuitive – as in any sport, getting somebody to properly coach you is, if not imperative, at least highly advisable.

UPDATE: I have been taking the Pungo 120 out on some larger rivers and it is great. The small stream near my house is great but just not for this kayak. See https://fishingreelssite.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/little-piney-creek-trout-fishing/ I also bought a shorter paddle. It is a cheapo. I plan to upgrade that now that I intend to keep this kayak. I was to the point where I figured there was no point in keeping it if I didn’t love it.

Anyway, I don’t think a sea or touring kayak would be what I want where I typically kayak. I kayak shallow rocky bottom Ozarks streams. Something with a turning radius of a mile just won’t do!

I also picked up a Dagger Axis 10.5 on a nasty Feb day from a pawn shop for $175. This is a great kayak for the small stream near my house. The drop skeg is quite nice and gives you the best of both worlds. I know some reviews think this is a pain but I drive a manual transmission (own 5 cars with them) so it is like shifting gears for me.

Anyway, getting this kayak out on a larger stream seems to be the ticket. I think a few bad experiences soured me on it but I was simply using it on the wrong stream.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind getting some barge of a kayak (Old Town Loon?) for overnight trips. I have also seen some at Bass Pro that they call a hybrid canoe/kayak that might be interested. I am in no hurry to buy, especially before I try one out.

Conor

I bet there are a lot of pro and con comments from posters who NEVER paddled either boat.

You need to paddle them and make your decision. Too many variables , the greatest being you, for us to help.
Just don’t buy no stinkin’ Pelican!