Best River KNife also for All-Around Use

I am an intermediate paddler, mostly on flat water rivers and lakes, who is looking to continue paddling and one day get into some basic class II and III whitewater. I need a new knife, and I have decided that I will carry one clipped to my PFD while on the water, and that is designed for water activities. My question is which of these types of knives would be the best all-around knife for all outdoor activities. I don’t want to have to buy multiple knifes for backpacking, climbing, general hiking, etc, and since I lost my former knife recently am looking for a replacement that can be used in all these activities.

Franklin, I’ve done the research for ya.

– Last Updated: Jul-22-04 1:56 PM EST –

You'll recieve my bill in the mail... LMAO!!!!!!

Here ya go:

Archived Message
Knives
Posted by: seand on Jun-09-03 10:50 AM (EST) Category: Other Gear
Hi All,
I am on the market for a paddling knive and I was looking for suggestions. Ideas? Comments?
Thanks,
Sean

Table of Contents

Knives - seand - Jun-09-03 10:50 AM
I've found that the best knife... - bnystrom - Jun-09-03 11:13 AM
Hooks - kbuttermore - Jun-09-03 11:50 AM
knife - lgn - Jun-09-03 11:55 AM
Gerber River Shorty - sunmakers_lady - Jun-10-03 8:09 AM
Uhhm, what link? - yakdaddy - Jun-09-03 11:55 AM
One word - Swedge - Jun-09-03 1:25 PM
Duh! Sorry about that. Here it is. - bnystrom - Jun-09-03 3:14 PM
please explain... - Stephen072774 - Jun-09-03 4:05 PM
You stick a finger through it. - bnystrom - Jun-09-03 4:39 PM
darn... - Stephen072774 - Jun-09-03 5:00 PM
bottle opener - Bobdobbs - Jun-09-03 11:45 PM
Hey-what's the cut-out used for at the - fran - Jun-10-03 12:57 PM
The cutout is an odd shape... - bnystrom - Jun-11-03 12:10 PM
I swear by my Benchmade Hook... - deepvoice - Jun-09-03 5:05 PM
Buck Tiburon - GaryNH - Jun-09-03 8:31 PM
The hooks look good, but for cutting - g2d - Jun-09-03 11:17 PM
Gerber, anything....... - coffeeII - Jun-10-03 8:08 AM
I like Gerbers, too, but... - bnystrom - Jun-10-03 9:37 AM
Very true - coffeeII - Jun-10-03 10:07 AM
Other than tests... - bnystrom - Jun-10-03 1:04 PM
Better than Gerber Shorty - LesG - Jun-10-03 10:46 PM
Shrade WR-1 looked good, but - kbuttermore - Jun-11-03 11:58 AM
knife quest - TxSharkbait - Jun-10-03 12:25 AM
Hey - Swedge - Jun-10-03 8:15 AM
Here are some options: - coffeeII - Jun-10-03 8:34 AM
someday........ - triplehexxx - Jun-10-03 10:06 AM
case cutlery - twinfalls - Jun-10-03 7:00 PM
thats love twin falls! lol. - triplehexxx - Jun-10-03 8:07 PM
Sure I miss my loved Case knife - twinfalls - Jun-11-03 2:53 PM
Case is fine cutlery - milan37 - Jun-11-03 12:27 PM
Benchmade River/Dive - tcmc11 - Jun-10-03 10:06 AM
All depends, what is best for you. - twinfalls - Jun-10-03 1:33 PM
Gerber - Sandmarks - Jun-10-03 1:48 PM
dont make me puke! - triplehexxx - Jun-10-03 8:08 PM
I can eat the peach cobbler...... - coffeeII - Jun-10-03 9:56 PM
Someday - Maverick13a - Jun-11-03 10:23 AM
That's precisely why... - bnystrom - Jun-11-03 12:53 PM
why a knife for sea kayaking - freedda - Jun-21-03 3:09 AM
Knives? Try Sea Snips - Jennings - Jun-11-03 10:40 AM
went with small dive-knife - haresfur - Jun-12-03 11:41 PM
try sea dog diving gear - freedda - Jun-21-03 3:05 AM
yak blade - TxSharkbait - Jun-21-03 10:37 AM
sea dog knike locking - freedda - Jun-22-03 2:49 PM
It can fall out. - bnystrom - Jun-23-03 10:25 AM
Small, cheap, sharp, nice - Scottb - Jun-21-03 6:33 AM
Buck Revolution.. - BeachAV8R - Jun-21-03 5:04 PM
nice post - chad19 - Jun-22-03 3:14 PM

Messages in this Topic

I've found that the best knife...
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-09-03 11:13 AM (EST)
...is no knife at all. After some eye-opening and hair-raising experiences with knives, I've switched to the Benchmade Rescue hook at the link below. They are INCREDIBLY sharp and are ideal for cutting rope, cord, bungee, webbing and fishing line. I've tested it with all these materials and it slices through them like they're not even there. Just as important, if it comes out of its sheath accidentally, it's not going to slice YOU to ribbons.

The black version is more rust resistant. I've got the nylon sheath, but the plastic one looks like a better setup.

Hooks
Posted by: kbuttermore on Jun-09-03 11:50 AM (EST)
Thanks - I was just looking at those. Now on the "next to buy" list.

Been through a few knives. Folders are questionable in an emergency, and any corrosion (happens very quick in salt) renders them useless. My venerable Gerber E-Z-Out lasted a while - but is now cleaned up and back on shore where it belongs. I have also tried and all metal, teflon coated folder. Stayed rust free with limited attention - but is too small for emergency use. Too easy to slip and cut yourself and far too easy to drop.

Dive knives are better - if you can find small ones. Blunt ends safer, serration - at least partial is critical. First I tried had a weak catch mechanism in the plastic sheath, and the "stainless" blade rusted far too quickly and easily. Next, I found a good cheap small one at West Marine, fully disassemble for cleaning, and had what I thought was a much more reliable locking/release system - that is until I noticed it had gone missing after some re-entry practice! That could have been a very bad day had it done anything but headed for the bottom! Actually glad I didn't have it tethered. Better to loose it than be incapacitated and chumming for Bull sharks.

I was looking at a Gerber River Shorty next - but think I'll opt for the rescue hook instead. It's faster, smaller, and far safer (and keep a knife stored somewhere safer for general use).

knife
Posted by: lgn on Jun-09-03 11:55 AM (EST)
the Spyderco rescue and smaller rescure junior are nice choices. Blunt tip, serrated edge, a nice clip and an eye for a lanyard.

Gerber River Shorty
Posted by: sunmakers_lady on Jun-10-03 8:09 AM (EST)
I have one of theese and have been very happy with it *s*..kim

Uhhm, what link?
Posted by: yakdaddy on Jun-09-03 11:55 AM (EST)
Brian,
Where is the link for the rescue hook? Thanks.

One word
Posted by: Swedge on Jun-09-03 1:25 PM (EST)
Benchmade.. just do a search under Benchmade knives. Expensive but very good.

Duh! Sorry about that. Here it is.
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-09-03 3:14 PM (EST)
http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?model=5

please explain...
Posted by: Stephen072774 on Jun-09-03 4:05 PM (EST)
why it is made in a circle? I understand how a zipping hook can be better for cutting line and rope, but why is connected to a circle instead of a handle?

You stick a finger through it.
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-09-03 4:39 PM (EST)
It's a minimalist design' simple, light and elegent. It does what it needs to do without any extra material, yet is still manages to incorporate three tools, the cutter, a bottle opener and an oxygen bottle wrench (for you EMT types).

darn...
Posted by: Stephen072774 on Jun-09-03 5:00 PM (EST)
I was hoping for 'rescue throw rope pulley' or something more exciting than a finger.

bottle opener
Posted by: Bobdobbs on Jun-09-03 11:45 PM (EST)
I'm sold!

Hey-what's the cut-out used for at the
Posted by: fran on Jun-10-03 12:57 PM (EST)
other end of the circle? I can see the bottle opener, the 02 wrench, but I'm curious what the other bit is for. I like this hook alot!

The cutout is an odd shape...
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-11-03 12:10 PM (EST)
...and I have no idea why it's done that way, but I use it to attach a lanyard.

I swear by my Benchmade Hook...
Posted by: deepvoice on Jun-09-03 5:05 PM (EST)
It's the best and most convenient tool I've found and its webbed nylon pouch/clip fits perfectly on my pfd main strap ready to open at a moment's notice. I like knives (I collect them) but I find "diving" knives a bit over the top for kayaking.

Buck Tiburon
Posted by: GaryNH on Jun-09-03 8:31 PM (EST)
Just picked one up. Pricey but very nice.

Gary

The hooks look good, but for cutting
Posted by: g2d on Jun-09-03 11:17 PM (EST)
hulls, you may need a knife, or better yet, a saw. Polyethelene kayaks, common on whitewater, are not too hard to cut with a knife, though you have to be careful of the paddler inside! In the rare case where you have to cut a composite hull in a whitewater pinning situation, a saw is needed. I prefer the OLD Gerber folding saw with its coarse teeth, which may be hard to find now. As I think about it, a saw which cuts on the pull stroke, like the old Gerber, is likely to be much easier to use in getting someone out of a boat than the typical river knife would be.

Gerber, anything.......
Posted by: coffeeII on Jun-10-03 8:08 AM (EST)

I love Gerber knives!! You can't beat a low cost, durable, dependable piece of worthy equipment, such as a Gerber. I own a whole "platoon" of gerber products:

Folding knife: Gator
Multi-tool
Pocket knife: Ridge
Hatchet: Pakaxe
Fishing shears: Quicksnip
Gutthook: E-Z-zip
6" Fillet knife: (actually three: 1 for venison, 1 for pork, and 1 for camping)

I hope to, sometime, have enough "spare" money to get the "Gerber Kitchen Cutlery Set". That is $129, but I also have other "toys" to buy...lol.

Anyways, Gerber is definately the way to go (for me)! They hold a factory edge for years & when (if) they do need sharpening, it doesn't take much to get em' back to normal. They are reasonably priced, and definately sufficient for when you need them. Benchmade, however, is an excellent knife! But the cost is up there aways... I especialy like their "automatic" knifes, very "quick" & eager to do the job.

BTW, Gerber does make a knife "similar" to the Benchmade hook. Not as "pricey", but then again- it doesn't have the bottle opener........lol

Coffee

I like Gerbers, too, but...
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-10-03 9:37 AM (EST)
...the River Shorty has the dullest edge from the factory of any knife I've seen. It looks like they plate the blade AFTER sharpening it. Without a good sharpening, you'd have a hard time cutting anything with it.

Very true
Posted by: coffeeII on Jun-10-03 10:07 AM (EST)

To be pefrectly honest, a friend of mine has a river shorty & it has a very poor "factory edge". He wanted to trade me that for a "bowie" that I had & never used. I said, reluctantly (because it was a Gerber), no. That is the one knife by Gerber that I don't mind not having...lol

The River Shorty was a proto-type knife manufactured by Gerber in the late 80's early 90's. If you look on the shank, it will even be marked "proto-type". If it does not say proto type, more than likely it was a manufatured product in the "cheap,quick & easy product line". NOT saying it is a bad knife! If you can get a good edge on it (strenuous effort, though), it will hold good for some time before sharpening. They do have a sleek look to them also, but the "sheath lock" & "belt clip" are to say the least > not very efficiant. Unless you have the scabbord, not only, clipped but also "strapped" too you or your gear, I personally wouldn't gaurentee it's presence at the end of your trip. I couldn't tell you how many times my friend & I have back-tracked to find his........

Coffee

P.S. Bnystrom? When you get to "actually" use the hook for any number of purposes, let me know how it performs & ease of use, also use possibilities. I must say that it caught my eye on your post & am interested in knowing how many uses it actually serves. It may become a "stepbrother" in my gerber family????????

Other than tests...
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-10-03 1:04 PM (EST)
...I never used my knives for anything, either, so it's likely to be a while.

Better than Gerber Shorty
Posted by: LesG on Jun-10-03 10:46 PM (EST)
A very similar knife to the Gerber River Shorty, but with a decent factory edge and a secure locking tab on the sheath, is the Schrade WR-1. Don't know how it would hold up in salt water since I live inland.

Shrade WR-1 looked good, but
Posted by: kbuttermore on Jun-11-03 11:58 AM (EST)
it began rusting after one outing. Prett poor for a small dive knife. Cleanble yes, but I need gear that can get by with less upkeep. One that rusts in the sheath while your paddling won't cut it.

I also did not find the sheath locking to be adequate for inverted PFD carry - it's OK but doesn't inspire confidence.

Snapped the belt clip off next. So much for PFD knife 3#.

knife quest
Posted by: TxSharkbait on Jun-10-03 12:25 AM (EST)
I have also been looking for a decent yak blade
havent found it yet, but the closest thing for me is along the line of the Spyderco "SPOT".
I'm not a Spyderco fan, but this would work better for me than the hook type, or a two pound grizzly lookin dive knife. Again. for my use a small lightweight short serrated blade with a dulled tip,and while I'm at it, fill in the skeleton handle with flotation mtrl and clip it to my PFD. keep the finger hole though--less slippage
Now for sawing boats in half, I prefer a Stihl with a 22" bar and of course "my lovely assistant, Kelly"

Hey
Posted by: Swedge on Jun-10-03 8:15 AM (EST)
My Benchmade is a Reg knive made for on water use, not the finger one. also I like to carry my leatherman super tool when i plan on camping from the boat. If I had to chose one it would be the leatherman. I also have the Gerber multi tool, the problem with it is you smash the hell out of your fingers if you have to use the pliers.. BTW I am a Gear Freak and own just about all the multi tools that are out there except the Schrade one that has the Compass on it.. might get it soon though *L* looks neat...

Here are some options:
Posted by: coffeeII on Jun-10-03 8:34 AM (EST)
Buck: TLC knife $11.99
Outdoor Life: Deluxe Game Zipper $15.99
Smith & Wesson: Hostage rescue teambadge knife $12.99
S.O.G Specialty knives: Outline $19.99

There are, "literaly", thousands of options out there. BUT, only about 50 or so quality ones. AND, only one choice "for you"!!

If you're not in a huge rush, try calling these numbers for "free" catalogs:

1-800-251-9306 >>>>>Smokey Mountain Knife Works
1-800-956-1667 >>>>>Budk Knives

These books have "cheap knives" & name brand, Quaility knives for low cost. Smokey Mountain would be my first choice, they have the "namebrands" for low cost. Same knives you would buy in an "expensive" outfitters store, just without the "UN-godly" mark up. (Example: Cold Steel's "Bushman" ... Outfitter store: $39.97. Smokey Mountain: $19.99)

Happy searchin' & paddle easy,

Coffee

someday........
Posted by: triplehexxx on Jun-10-03 10:06 AM (EST)
i may pick up a plastic gerber type knife but to this day it's still case cutlery for me. of course my mother has been working there for 30 years so i may be a little bias. my case "russ lock" is a good one handed lock blade. i do wish they had a better selection of knives for water sports and such.

case cutlery
Posted by: twinfalls on Jun-10-03 7:00 PM (EST)
Case is mostly excellent with no UFO like design. It's sharp and keep it's edge very well.
For two years I had a case that got lost because of it's sheath fastener getting loose. The sheath is bad.
I liked the knife soo much that I walked more than 6 miles back, to never find it.

thats love twin falls! lol.
Posted by: triplehexxx on Jun-10-03 8:07 PM (EST)
if you ever need any work done or need something specific....let me know and maybe i can help. they do need a couple plastic watersports knives in their collection to compete wide open with all the others.

Sure I miss my loved Case knife
Posted by: twinfalls on Jun-11-03 2:53 PM (EST)

That was a non folding blade, handle made from a pile of leather disks, small enough to fit my hands ( I am not a dwarf, at 5 feet 10 inches ).
Note that short guys in their mind look for large gear, over sized paddles, axes, knives, pans, tents...These guys, I like to call them "tall dwarfs".
From France, when I got the knife, it was costly, plus import tax, plus time waste to go to clear customs.
After I lost it in Canada, back in France, I settled with a cheapo made in Spain? claimed to be a hunter's knife, too large with a wood? slippery handle.
I know, my only rest will be getting the very same Case knife that I lost in Manitoba...it must stay 3 feet deep in the Keewatin river at the last rapid's bend to Sickle lake.
I hope Case will not discontinue this perfect traditionnal design, before I get a hand on my another one.

Case is fine cutlery
Posted by: milan37 on Jun-11-03 12:27 PM (EST)
My family is a Case family, no question. For our thirteenth birthday, my brothers and I each got a Case lockblade-my older brother and I both got the "Mako Shark" and my younger brother got the larger "Hammerhead". We all thought my Dad was the coolest because he carried the "Shark Tooth", the largest of the series. My old man is an avid Case collector. I don't think a Buck knife has ever cursed his doorstep.

My knife for canoeing/kayaking is a Leatherman SuperTool. It came with a factory edge on the straight knife that I could shave with. Has a serrated edge blade as well. And rounded handles that don't cut into your hand when you're using the pliers (to lift a pot lid on a boiling pot, for instance). Very handy in camp, and I used it once to fix my car on the side of the road.

Benchmade River/Dive
Posted by: tcmc11 on Jun-10-03 10:06 AM (EST)
I have the BM River knife hooked on my PFD strap.
It is very accessible and functional for both river and camp purposes. Sheath is well designed.

All depends, what is best for you.
Posted by: twinfalls on Jun-10-03 1:33 PM (EST)
To feel like Rammbo, you have a lot, compass and stitching needle included.
To cut ropes, the canoeing marketing made a lot, able to cut stuff you'll never meet in your own TV theater.
Any good knife is Ok and you will end up with a non sense claimed to be a better knife.

Gerber
Posted by: Sandmarks on Jun-10-03 1:48 PM (EST)
also makes great strained carrots!

dont make me puke!
Posted by: triplehexxx on Jun-10-03 8:08 PM (EST)
i'll take some of the peaches though. lol.

I can eat the peach cobbler......
Posted by: coffeeII on Jun-10-03 9:56 PM (EST)
By the case load. That make for good easy camp snacks or paddling snacks.

Coffee

Someday
Posted by: Maverick13a on Jun-11-03 10:23 AM (EST)
Someday a knife I may buy. But as a seakayaker have never really understood the need. Now whitewater kayaking and river running is a different story.
When things get rough, I am bouncing around against my boat or someone elses. Or am yanking on someone else in their pfd to get them on their boat, it just seems too much of a chance of danger for the knife to fall out and make the situation worse.
Now, don't get me wrong some of these knives have great workmanship and they look nice. And I have my share of knives, but on my pfd not yet.
I am not convinced I need one for an emergency such that it should be displayed on the outside of my pfd.
I didn't use one when I jumped out of planes and had emergencies. So can someone tell this kayaker why I need one on my pfd.

That's precisely why...
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-11-03 12:53 PM (EST)
...I went with the hook. It will allow my to cut tow lines and other entanglements without the dangers of a knife.

why a knife for sea kayaking
Posted by: freedda on Jun-21-03 3:09 AM (EST)
My instructor told us he carries one in case he gets tangled in fishing or boating lines. Maybe not common but he seemed to think it was a good idea. I found an inexpensive one at sea dog diving gear ($17) and though I haven't had to cut myself free of lines, I've not regretted buying one. If nothing else, its easy to get to when you break out lunch and have to cut a hunk o' cheese.

David.

Knives? Try Sea Snips
Posted by: Jennings on Jun-11-03 10:40 AM (EST)
I carry a knife (several, actually) in my gear kits, repair kits, etc. and a small, foldable in my bail out kit.

I use Sea Snips as my 'dive knife'. These are stainless steel EMT shears (read: scissors), and come with a easy open pouch for panic access.

They open wide and will cut through fishing netting and line that knives cannot. They will do everything a 'kayak' knife can do for you, except impale you, slice you, or otherwise nail you. They have blunt tips. Dive Supply shops carry them, as to EMT gear shops.

went with small dive-knife
Posted by: haresfur on Jun-12-03 11:41 PM (EST)
I can see the safety advantage of the hooks but I wanted a little more versatility. I found a lot more choice in the dive supplies than in the kayak places. My Underwater Kinetics Fusilier arrived today and it seems to be just what I wanted. Blunt tip, straight and serrated edges, and a line hook. Not too "Rambo" looking, though. Supposed to be corrosion resistant ("Hydralloy").

www.diversdiscount.com -- no affiliation but satisfied.

Just got to figure out the best place to mount it. I'm thinking of attaching it to my spray-skirt using the screws provided to attach it to a bouancy compensator.

try sea dog diving gear
Posted by: freedda on Jun-21-03 3:05 AM (EST)
I bought a diving knife from Sea Dog http://www.seadogsports.com/kbcknife.html a few years ago. It was best price that I found and has held up well. Nothing special but works. David.

yak blade
Posted by: TxSharkbait on Jun-21-03 10:37 AM (EST)
That one's pretty good, does the knife lock into the sheath well?

sea dog knike locking
Posted by: freedda on Jun-22-03 2:49 PM (EST)
I assume it locks well -- I've never had a problem, but in truth, I've never done self rescue with it on. It has sort of a push button type lock, so I guess the lock could accidently come open. D.

It can fall out.
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-23-03 10:25 AM (EST)

I was using one of these prior to switching to the hook. It rusts pretty easily and I did have it fall out of the sheath once during rescue training. I also had to touch up the edge when it was new, as the factory edge wasn't very sharp. Then again, what can you expect for under twenty bucks?

Small, cheap, sharp, nice
Posted by: Scottb on Jun-21-03 6:33 AM (EST)
I still have my Gerber clip lock that I bought in 1990. It's been attached to my pfd. I have never used it. Not once. Wait. I have cut open mre's when my hands were too cold. But that is it. It is still brand new. It is nice to know it is there. Super sharp with a wicked point.
The hook looks like a great tool for sea kayakers. Not to sure of the hikers would find it useful. I wonder how well it severes bones that become wedged under a rock.

Buck Revolution..
Posted by: BeachAV8R on Jun-21-03 5:04 PM (EST)
I just bought two Buck Revolution XT knives because they have an integrated "caribiner" type clip on them. I had purchashed the Buck Approach knives but they would require an additional connector to clip them to your jacket or wherever..the Revolution eliminates that..

Check out this link:

http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/knives/k-buck/revolution.html

BeachAV8R

nice post
Posted by: chad19 on Jun-22-03 3:14 PM (EST)
this probably the best knife post i've seen over the last three years. good info. i used to carry a bulky dive knife on my PFD, but soon figured out that it was practically useless. think i'm going to get one of the benchmade hooks and just carry camp-type knives elsewhere. can't really see the need for a traditional knife when sea kayaking. in an emergency situation where cutting roads, etc. is the goal, i'd feel much safer and would probably be more efficient with a hook type knife. again, good post. this is the type of stuff this board was made for.

Archived Message
rescue/river knife input wanted....
Posted by: veggieannie on Aug-18-03 6:25 PM (EST) Category: unassigned
After reading some recent posts I want to have a knife available for rescue situations. I would greatly appreciate feedback to help me make the best choice. Jacket attachment? Body attachment? blunt tip? I'm not even aware of all the issues and hope someone with knowledge will pass on their wisdom!

Table of Contents

rescue/river knife input wanted.... - veggieannie - Aug-18-03 6:25 PM
Hmm - Swedge - Aug-18-03 6:42 PM
Benchmade Rescue Hook - lrebensdorf - Aug-18-03 7:18 PM
Five years now - seakayaking - Aug-18-03 7:38 PM
Agreed - bnystrom - Aug-19-03 11:01 AM
it cant spread peanut butter...... - joemess - Aug-19-03 10:23 PM
True, but... - bnystrom - Aug-20-03 9:51 AM
Brother of a knife hound: - Nonsense9 - Aug-18-03 7:23 PM
Spyderco - MikeinSC - Aug-18-03 8:23 PM
Mike, I have to..... - coffeeII - Aug-18-03 8:59 PM
Spyderco at Sierra Trading Post - clarion - Aug-18-03 8:16 PM
I own Benchmade and Gerber brand - northman - Aug-18-03 9:14 PM
New Benchmade River/Dive Knife - merline - Aug-18-03 9:23 PM
Veggieannie, check out..... - coffeeII - Aug-18-03 9:26 PM
Knives... - paddlinpete - Aug-19-03 10:46 AM
EMT Scissors - Mike_McCrea - Aug-19-03 11:01 AM
My personal preference.... - Holmes375 - Aug-19-03 12:42 PM
Monofilament bad, hooks worse - Mike_McCrea - Aug-19-03 12:50 PM
Thankyou so much! - veggieannie - Aug-19-03 8:37 PM
If you - northman - Aug-19-03 8:50 PM
Lanyards - bnystrom - Aug-20-03 9:56 AM
Sounds good. - veggieannie - Aug-20-03 10:32 AM
Exactly. - bnystrom - Aug-21-03 10:28 AM
With all due respect... - Holmes375 - Aug-20-03 1:36 PM
Re-read my post - bnystrom - Aug-21-03 10:36 AM
I stand corrected! - Holmes375 - Aug-21-03 10:49 AM
Knives - freelife - Aug-20-03 10:44 AM
With cutlery - Greyak - Aug-20-03 1:24 PM
The problem I had with my knife - string - Aug-20-03 2:20 PM
Lost one that way - Greyak - Aug-20-03 2:49 PM
Paddlin' Pete's suggestion looks good. - string - Aug-20-03 3:10 PM
Myerchin - paddlinpete - Aug-20-03 4:16 PM
Myerchin & other top choices - Greyak - Aug-20-03 5:45 PM
I have several of the knives... - Holmes375 - Aug-20-03 7:31 PM
As for - northman - Aug-20-03 8:50 PM
I would also include Emerson's - tvcrider - Aug-21-03 2:54 PM
CRKT Bear Claw - Greyak - Aug-21-03 5:04 PM
The Smith & Wesson........ - coffeeII - Aug-21-03 5:28 PM
S&W not the same - not as safe - Greyak - Aug-21-03 7:15 PM
True, I didn't realy notice.... - coffeeII - Aug-21-03 7:28 PM
Do you own a file? - bnystrom - Aug-22-03 10:04 AM
Excellent tip!!!! - coffeeII - Aug-22-03 10:49 AM
I agree that bearclaw is a neat one - joemess - Aug-22-03 6:12 AM
Thanks All for this Thread........ - gnomon - Aug-23-03 6:58 PM
Meyerchin Shark - merline - Aug-23-03 9:03 PM
This was the best deal I could find..... - gnomon - Aug-23-03 10:03 PM
big yellow handle - pamskee - Aug-23-03 10:11 PM
You can use my knife... - Overeasy - Aug-24-03 9:43 AM

Messages in this Topic

Hmm
Posted by: Swedge on Aug-18-03 6:42 PM (EST)
Check out the Benchmade web site they make some great rescue knives. As for choice, it depends on what you want to do with it, For just cutting ropes and web straps those "Loop" looking knives work great, and the benchmade one has a handy Bottle opener on it, but the loop knives are not good for anything else. I use/Carry a reg Benchmade rescue knife. I like the way it fastens in its sheath, it has a Positive locking feature, so you wont lose the knife when you roll over ect. I think its slightly more versatile then the "Loop" knives. but the loop knives are probably safer in close quarters.

Benchmade Rescue Hook
Posted by: lrebensdorf on Aug-18-03 7:18 PM (EST)
Just bought one of these for my lifejacket. Seems well made and reasonably priced. Haven't hade to use it "in action", but seems like it would handle most line or rope entanglements you would encounter. The marketing info indicates it's actually built for emergency personel to cut away seat belts, etc, so it is plenty sharp.

Also, very low weight and low profile on your PFD. The large Kershaw diving knife I had on before was in the way most of the time.

Big downside is you loose the versatility of a standard type knife. On more exposed trips, I will probably end up carrying the old diving knife somewhere secure, as backup.

Five years now
Posted by: seakayaking on Aug-18-03 7:38 PM (EST)
with a Gerber shorty river rescue on the front lash tab of an extra sport pfd (want there new model} have used it to cut off a line to a dagger board from a sail boat that had fouled his rigging as he was over , and you can't cut salami or peperroni with the hook. There is always a Leaterman Wave multi-tool in my pocket on a line and I use it alot more than any other knife I've owned cept the earlier model leathermans , cuts rudder lines , can crimp , file down fibergass or plst. , two knive edges , drop pt. and serrated best for cuttin line , and a pair o scisrors , and the usual driver ends that are always needed , and o course the all important pliers !!!!

Agreed
Posted by: bnystrom on Aug-19-03 11:01 AM (EST)
If you get one, get the black version. The silver one will rust everywhere except on the highly polished cutting edge.

it cant spread peanut butter......
Posted by: joemess on Aug-19-03 10:23 PM (EST)
-- Last Updated: Aug-19-03 10:24 PM EST --
Also i want a knife that will be versitile. The hook is a neat idea but it is a one trick pony. I also want to be able to cut at many angles and direction if the need were to present itself. When I pull my knife I know for certain where the blade is in referance to my hand and do not have to think about it. If I were to cut with hook, I would possibly have to spend precious moments gettin the rope, which would quite possibly be moving, in the hooks cutting area.
And for the record, I have played with one of these as it looked really "cool" until I thought about how I may have to use it.

A good, sturdy, SHARP knife will fit the bill anytime. The hook fits the bill for what it was designed for, Cutting people out of seatbelts in a car entrapment event.

I want each piece of gear I carry on the water to have as many possible uses a it can. Spreading peanut butter is one of them..... :)

Andrew

True, but...
Posted by: bnystrom on Aug-20-03 9:51 AM (EST)
...it also won't disembowel you if it comes out of its sheath at an inopportune time. I've had sheath knives come loose several times while playing in surf and rocks, and during rescue training. That's the main reason I switched to a hook. A secondary reason is that I've never needed to use the knives I used to carry, so why take the risk? If I need to spread peanut butter, I'll use the knife that's in my food bag.

As for using the hook vs. a knife, the whole purpose of a hook is that it will snag and cut anything that runs across it, which means that it should be easier to cut rope, cord, fishing line or what have you simply by slashing the hook at it. You don't have to be able to see anything to to this. If you happen to hit a body part (your's or someone else's), a piece of clothing, or any other gear that's larger than the opening in the hook, you won't cut it as you would with a knife. The only downside to this design is that hooks won't cut really thick rope, but it's unlikely that one would need to.

Since I'm strictly a sea kayaker, cutting myself or someone else out of a boat and similar situations are not a concern. For that, you need a knife or something even more aggressive.

Gauge the risks and the utility for yourself and choose your "weapon" accordingly.

Brother of a knife hound:
Posted by: Nonsense9 on Aug-18-03 7:23 PM (EST)
I won't tell my brother about your post; he is a knife hound of the worst sort and would bore you with more knife details than you can shake a switchblade at.

Consider a Spyderco knife, or a cheap knockoff of this design. Look at Spydercostore.com (no I am not an employee or associated in any way with Spyderco). Why?

-Design allows you to open it with one hand. That little "hole" at the top of the blade lets you open it with just your thumb. If you are in the water hanging onto the kayak with the other hand, this is a crucial feature!

-Most of Spyderco's knives have a built-in belt clip that would attach easily to your PFD strap, deck rigging, or belt loop. I can't do that with my Swiss Army knife.

-Many (most?) of their designs feature a lockblade. Once locked open, the blade will NOT snap shut on your finger; you have to intentionally push on the side of the knife's frame to close it. This, too, can be done with one hand with a little practice.

Whoops! I'm giving lots of knife hound details. Remember, Spyderco's are pricey, but they are good quality. There are lots of copies out there that are cheaper and offer some of the same features.

Spyderco
Posted by: MikeinSC on Aug-18-03 8:23 PM (EST)
makes a great blade, but on the river, the least little bit of grit can get in the way of the lock. For an emergency knife, simplicity rules. Go buy a Benchmade rescue fixed blade knife. Good steel, good design, well built. The Gerber is an inferior design that will not take and hold an edge like the Benchmade. If you thought it was a good idea to buy the cheapest PFD you could find, get the Gerber or a knockoff.

Mike, I have to.....
Posted by: coffeeII on Aug-18-03 8:59 PM (EST)
-- Last Updated: Aug-18-03 9:19 PM EST --
Disagree about your opinion on Gerber knives, to a point....

I have made a switch sometime back to Gerber, due to their superiority. I have several, one for every different purpose- hunting, fishing, camping, basic carry, etc... I have never had a problem with them holding an edge. The only problem I have had with Gerber knives is keeping my fingers out of the way....lol

Gerber does make excellent knives, but they do have some that are on their, "make quick & move" catagorey. I must say that the "river knife" is on that list as with afew others. Their is a post on knives somewhere here on the forum, where you can go and get some excellent reviews on all sorts of "kayaking knives".

Spyderco does make some acceptional knives, as does Benchmade.

My suggestion for a knife for "river emergencies" is this. BUT, I must say this.... "IF" anyone decides that want to carry one of these, they need to be discrete about asking for them at your local knife store, being that they are mainly sold to "law enforcement & military"... It is safe, light, fast, agile & reliable in almost all conditions. You can also find them at this site:

http://www.skm.to/bin/skm.cgi/pager/p/conc_14_202/91411-45-208441041

For $38 this knife is worth it!!!

CHECK YOUR LOCAL & STATE LAWS BEFORE ORDERING!! Just a fair warning that I thought I should pass along.......................

I would like to add that any & all equipment is usually praised favoritism by the owners of such equipment. The best thing to do is "accept suggestions, & try them out for yourself, to see if they work for "YOU".

CHECK THE ARCHIVES FOR A POST CALLED "knives" posted by seand!! This post holds plenty of helpful advice!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

P.S.

Here are some options:
Posted by: coffeeII on Jun-10-03 8:34 AM (EST)
Buck: TLC knife $11.99
Outdoor Life: Deluxe Game Zipper $15.99
Smith & Wesson: Hostage rescue teambadge knife $12.99
S.O.G Specialty knives: Outline $19.99

There are, "literaly", thousands of options out there. BUT, only about 50 or so quality ones. AND, only one choice "for you"!!

If you're not in a huge rush, try calling these numbers for "free" catalogs:

1-800-251-9306 >>>>>Smokey Mountain Knife Works
1-800-956-1667 >>>>>Budk Knives

These books have "cheap knives" & name brand, Quaility knives for low cost. Smokey Mountain would be my first choice, they have the "namebrands" for low cost. Same knives you would buy in an "expensive" outfitters store, just without the "UN-godly" mark up. (Example: Cold Steel's "Bushman" ... Outfitter store: $39.97. Smokey Mountain: $19.99)

Happy searchin' & paddle easy,

Coffee

I love Gerber knives!! You can't beat a low cost, durable, dependable piece of worthy equipment, such as a Gerber. I own a whole "platoon" of gerber products:

Folding knife: Gator
Multi-tool
Pocket knife: Ridge
Hatchet: Pakaxe
Fishing shears: Quicksnip
Gutthook: E-Z-zip
6" Fillet knife: (actually three: 1 for venison, 1 for pork, and 1 for camping)

I hope to, sometime, have enough "spare" money to get the "Gerber Kitchen Cutlery Set". That is $129, but I also have other "toys" to buy...lol.

Anyways, Gerber is definately the way to go (for me)! They hold a factory edge for years & when (if) they do need sharpening, it doesn't take much to get em' back to normal. They are reasonably priced, and definately sufficient for when you need them. Benchmade, however, is an excellent knife! But the cost is up there aways... I especialy like their "automatic" knifes, very "quick" & eager to do the job.

BTW, Gerber does make a knife "similar" to the Benchmade hook. Not as "pricey", but then again- it doesn't have the bottle opener........lol

Coffee

I like Gerbers, too, but...
Posted by: bnystrom on Jun-10-03 9:37 AM (EST)
...the River Shorty has the dullest edge from the factory of any knife I've seen. It looks like they plate the blade AFTER sharpening it. Without a good sharpening, you'd have a hard time cutting anything with it.

Very true
Posted by: coffeeII on Jun-10-03 10:07 AM (EST)
-- Last Updated: Jun-10-03 10:49 AM EST --
To be pefrectly honest, a friend of mine has a river shorty & it has a very poor "factory edge". He wanted to trade me that for a "bowie" that I had & never used. I said, reluctantly (because it was a Gerber), no. That is the one knife by Gerber that I don't mind not having...lol

The River Shorty was a proto-type knife manufactured by Gerber in the late 80's early 90's. If you look on the shank, it will even be marked "proto-type". If it does not say proto type, more than likely it was a manufatured product in the "cheap,quick & easy product line". NOT saying it is a bad knife! If you can get a good edge on it (strenuous effort, though), it will hold good for some time before sharpening. They do have a sleek look to them also, but the "sheath lock" & "belt clip" are to say the least > not very efficiant. Unless you have the scabbord, not only, clipped but also "strapped" too you or your gear, I personally wouldn't gaurentee it's presence at the end of your trip. I couldn't tell you how many times my friend & I have back-tracked to find his........

Coffee

Spyderco at Sierra Trading Post
Posted by: clarion on Aug-18-03 8:16 PM (EST)
Check out these Spydercos. I've never owned one but have handled my brother in law's. Very impressive and very easy to open.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Search/keyword_results.asp?usersearch=knife&ShowImages=yes

I own Benchmade and Gerber brand
Posted by: northman on Aug-18-03 9:14 PM (EST)
knives. While the benchmade has a better overall fit and finish Gerber is also a good edge. In fact I skinned and processed a whole deer with out resharpening my Gerber. As for which to carry on the river a blunt tip knife or hook style is the safest. No point to stab you in a panic. Hope this helps.
Rocky

New Benchmade River/Dive Knife
Posted by: merline on Aug-18-03 9:23 PM (EST)
Anyone have experience with the new Benchmark River/Dive 100SH20 knife? It is made of H1 steel and is said to be impervious to the elements and 100-percent corrosion resistant. Details are at
http://benchmade.com/detail.asp?model=100SH2O

I am specifically wondering about the ability to attach it to a PFD, since it comes with what appears to be an entirely different sheath from the older model.

Veggieannie, check out.....
Posted by: coffeeII on Aug-18-03 9:26 PM (EST)
my post to MikeinSC!! Alot of useful info there!!!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Knives...
Posted by: paddlinpete on Aug-19-03 10:46 AM (EST)
The Benchmade Rescue Hook, as someone has mentioned, is great for emergency use on webbing and line, it's compact and lightweight, and with the plastic sheath, is easy to attach to a PFD strap with a couple of zip-ties. (And there's also the bottle opener ;^)

For a more conventional knife, you might look at
http://www.myerchin.com/A500.html. A solid, no-frills knife, fairly lightweight for its size, with a thin profile. Unbelievably sharp right out of the box.

Pete

EMT Scissors
Posted by: Mike_McCrea on Aug-19-03 11:01 AM (EST)
A lot of local WW paddler carry EMT scissors attached to their PFDs.

My personal preference....
Posted by: Holmes375 on Aug-19-03 12:42 PM (EST)
is a fixed blade knife for my primary rescue tool. I do not want any moving parts that debris can interfere with and I do not want to have to operate any mechanism with cold hands in a stressful scenario. I also recommend a short wrist lanyard as it is so easy to drop a knife in the water when the hands are cold and digit coordination is compromised.

My current PFD companion is a Columbia River fixed blade water knife, partial serration, with a chisel point. Good quality and economical at around $50.

Carrying a Spyderco or other quality folder as a backup utility knife is an excellent plan and one usually resides in my pocket. My onboard survival pouch also hosts a large Swiss Army multi-tool for the unexpected camp chores, etc.

I have used my knives many times over the years freeing boats/boaters from painter entanglements after a capsize, cutting shoreline foliage away from errant boats for retrieval, and, (this one really aggravates me), fishing line traps left in shoreline foliage by mentally incapacitated single celled cranial midgets whom call themselves fishermen. You wouldn't believe what 20 yards of 16 lb test fishing line can capture when it is left askew in the bushes after a sloppy cast.

One knife rescue involved fishing line and an extremely hostile trapped pelican. And yes, that bird beat the holy crap out of me!

Come to think of it, I've had several interesting knife related situations that would make for humourous reading. Thank God none of it is on tape!!

Pleasant waters to all,

Holmes

Monofilament bad, hooks worse
Posted by: Mike_McCrea on Aug-19-03 12:50 PM (EST)
Holmes wrote "(this one really aggravates me), fishing line traps left in shoreline foliage"

The one that really freaks me out is when there is still a hook attached to one end of the monofilament.

My son got caught in a dangling hook when he brushed too close to some overhanging foliage on a trip. Fortunately it caught him on the shoulder of his PFD and not in the face, and I was quickly able to cut him loose.

The only upside I can think of is that, on our local homeriver (a blue-ribbon trout stream) one of my eagle eyed companions usually concludes trips with a dozen or so nice flies and nymphs found snagged in the trees.

Thankyou so much!
Posted by: veggieannie on Aug-19-03 8:37 PM (EST)
I really appreciate all the feedback you have taken the time to provide. I am RARELY ever without my (often used) swiss army knife. I hope others who have yet to buy a rescue type knife are taking note of the replies here and make a purchase as well. I've already had some close calls with fishing line, hooks, and lures. I've collected some nice lures for my son as well!

I assume most knives are fastened to the front of the PFD (I don't have a lash tab there-rats!)
But depending on the knife I choose maybe I can sew it on myself.
I really want to be able to help myself or someone else if needed!

The idea of a wrist lanyard made a lot of sense.

decisions....decisions!

If you
Posted by: northman on Aug-19-03 8:50 PM (EST)
already have a swiss army knife why not get a rescue hook blade for the PFD. I know prison guards use em cause its difficult to cut you self but great for cutting rope. If you ever get upside down and need out by cutting it would be much safer. Also it is possile to fall on a pointed knife and get stabbed right thru the sheath if you hit at the right angle. Some folks found out the hard way hunting from horseback. Anyway hope you get something good.
Rocky

Lanyards
Posted by: bnystrom on Aug-20-03 9:56 AM (EST)
I've always kept my cutting tools leashed to my PFD to prevent loss. The lanyard is stored in a zippered pocket and pulls out when I deploy the tool (currently a rescue hook).

I don't see how a wrist lanyard would be of any use. In an emergency situation, you're not going to take the time to put on a wrist lanyard before using the tool. More than likely, you won't even HAVE the time to do so.

Sounds good.
Posted by: veggieannie on Aug-20-03 10:32 AM (EST)
I'm picturing from your description the cutting tool visible and easily accessable....with the lanyard tucked inside a pocket....deployed by using the tool not unlike rope coming out of a throwbag...

Exactly.
Posted by: bnystrom on Aug-21-03 10:28 AM (EST)

With all due respect...
Posted by: Holmes375 on Aug-20-03 1:36 PM (EST)
I strongly disagree.

When one is using a knife in a rescue situation, the last thing he/she needs is to lose the tool. The knife would not be called into play unless it's value were not of great need.

As with any emergency procedure, e.g., CPR, fire starting, etc., using a knife properly should be practised before the emergency arises.

A rescue situation may well entail extended knife use, not just a simple cut and you're off. This is where the lanyard is most important. Even cool water will have an effect on manual dexterity.

A good practice is to have a lanyard and make it's use routine so one does not have to think about it when the situation arises.

Regards,

Holmes

Re-read my post
Posted by: bnystrom on Aug-21-03 10:36 AM (EST)
I DO use a lanyand, but not a WRIST lanyard. My point was that if you're upside-down in the water and entangled, the last thing you're going to have time to do is to find a wrist lanyard, stick your hand through it and cinch it around your wrist. This is doubly true if you're wearing gloves.

The tool I use is tethered to my PFD, so loss is not an issue. I can deploy it quickly and never have to think about the lanyard.

I agree with you about the need for practice with whatever tool you choose, though it's doubtful that many people do. I'm somewhat remiss it this area myself.

I stand corrected!
Posted by: Holmes375 on Aug-21-03 10:49 AM (EST)

Knives
Posted by: freelife on Aug-20-03 10:44 AM (EST)
Try going to HSN.com under collectables then knives. They have a multitude of knives that just may be better than some name brands (they don't rust). The blades are 440 stanles steal and the handles are plastic, aluminum, or rubber. The prices are typicly 1/4 or less than the major brand names. They have a lot of liner lock (one hand open or close useing either hand and any direction) belt clips which I too clip to my lash tab on my extra sport. The only problem is some times you have to buy a set to get the one you want, but the extras are great Birthday and Christmas gifts for fellow paddlers. Just another
posible source for a good blade.

Freelife

With cutlery
Posted by: Greyak on Aug-20-03 1:24 PM (EST)
you tend to get what you pay for.

Doesn't have to be expensive, but basic safety items are not the place to cut corners either. Quality and reliability are more important.

The problem I had with my knife
Posted by: string on Aug-20-03 2:20 PM (EST)
and whistle was they snagged on the deck bungees when I was doing paddle float re-entries.I had the knife scabbard hooked on the front of the PFD in a lash tab and the whistle in a centered pocket. I now carry the whistle in the lower PFD pocket and I haven't been taking the knife.

Lost one that way
Posted by: Greyak on Aug-20-03 2:49 PM (EST)
Lost a knife that way. Out of a locking plastic sheath! Lucky I didn't meet up with the blade on its way to the bottom.

That incident, along with some almost instantly rusted SS folders and fixed, reinforced how important the selection can be.

I'm between knives now. Carrying a small folder as a temp. Prefer safety of a fixed blade. Interesting that every time this comes up I see some recommendations for ones I hadn't seen before.

My checklist in no order:

1. Extreme corrosion resistance. Must be able to live in and out of saltwater indefinitely with little maintenence.

2. Fixed blade

4. Blunt tip (several types OK)

5. Good grip

6. Sheath that locks well, but easy to release.

7. Small overall size (not in the way when on PDF front lash tab), but with big enough blade to cut thick line, branches, etc.

I may end up with a Rescue hook and a knife as the hook seems limited but good on the PFD, with the knife somewhere close by and easily accessible.

Paddlin' Pete's suggestion looks good.
Posted by: string on Aug-20-03 3:10 PM (EST)

Myerchin
Posted by: paddlinpete on Aug-20-03 4:16 PM (EST)
The Myerchin is made for people who use them around salt water. I'm a freshwater paddler, but have seen no corrosion after 2 years.

The sheath is simple, too, with the flap secured with velcro. With the flap open, it still takes a tug to get the knife out. Even so, I keep a "Ranger Band" (wide rubber band, like from a bike inner tube) around the sheath and the flap as a safety.

Can't recommend it enough!

Myerchin & other top choices
Posted by: Greyak on Aug-20-03 5:45 PM (EST)
Please note: Links used are not an endorsement for that business, only used for convenience. You can find better prices.

The Myerchin Model A500, Offshore Safety/Dive knife is now in my top choices:

http://www.myerchin.com/A500.html
http://www.myerchin.com/A508.html

In addition to the A500 there is a smaller neck knife:

http://www.myerchin.com/A566P%20THE%20SHARK.html

and a nice folder with intgrated marlin spike and LED chart light.

http://www.myerchin.com/L300P.html

Others I am looking at are the Benchmade in H1:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?BM100SH2OBLK

Also the Columbia River Hammond ABC Dive Knife Rescue Blunt Tip Aqua:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CR2604

Some possibly worthy folders (should be openable single handed):

SW911 Smith and Wesson 1st Response Rescue Knife (Get a lot of people driving into canals here so that windshield breaker might come in handy):

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?SW911

Camillus Lev-R-Lok ( lever lock) with Rescue Blade:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CM5851

Cold Steel Land and Sea Rescue Voyager 5" blade Black Handle w/ Clip:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CS29RLS

Colt Search And Rescue Tool CSAR:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CT37

Spyderco Clipit Rescue Black Zytel Handle with Reversible Clip:

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?SP14SBK2

I have several of the knives...
Posted by: Holmes375 on Aug-20-03 7:31 PM (EST)
you have listed.

My personal pick is the Columbia River ABC w/ chisel point. I like the ability to dig, if necessary.

This knife also has a sheath that allows for complete tension adjustment. All of the sheath screws are independent in this aspect. Very good simple design. I do not do salt water so cannot comment regarding that, however, I have experienced no corrosion at all with my CR.

While I'm a big fan of Benchmade products, I would rate the Myerchin higher as the quality is equal to the fixed Benchmade with a more attractive price. This is the knife I recommend to those not wanting a sharp or edged tip.

I added a few 1/4" cross sections of heat shrink tubing to the handle of my Myerchin to improve grip. Worked nicely and a great knife it is.

Thanks for posting the links. I'm sure everyone finds it helpful.

Pleasant waters.

Holmes

As for
Posted by: northman on Aug-20-03 8:50 PM (EST)
lanyard vs. none. I use a lanyard on most gear that is valuble when on boats. GPS, Knife, heck even my paddle has a leash. good luck on your search and get something worthwile not a cheap knife.
Rocky

I would also include Emerson's
Posted by: tvcrider on Aug-21-03 2:54 PM (EST)
La Griffe Rescue Knife.

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?EMLAGWWR

I have had good luck with this unit. It mounts easily to my pfd using zip ties and has a nice flat profile. The La Griffe posiitvely clicks into its krylon shealth, but it is a snap to release. Your mileage may vary.

Safe paddling,
Joe

CRKT Bear Claw
Posted by: Greyak on Aug-21-03 5:04 PM (EST)
CRKT Bear Claw is similar at half the price, and has a longer blade. Can't speak to the corrision resistance - or strength.

Look at the CR-2510 Fully Serrated Edge, Rounded Tip model for safety uses. This and the La Griffe are the only hook blades I've seen so far with blunt tips available.

http://www.1sks.com/store/crkt-bear-claw-info.html

The Smith & Wesson........
Posted by: coffeeII on Aug-21-03 5:28 PM (EST)
Hostage Rescue Teambadge knife is the same as the CRKT Bearclaw for half the price ($12.99).

CRKT is a ecellent knife maker, but IMO not good enough to price their tools so high...

Paddle easy,

Coffee

S&W not the same - not as safe
Posted by: Greyak on Aug-21-03 7:15 PM (EST)
The S&W Hostage Rescue Team badge knife is not available with a blunt tip anywhere I looked.

If I missed it, please provide a link.

I don't think that style blade is safe for use as a rescue knife with the pointed tip. Asking for trouble.

The S&W is very much the same as the other bear claws, but not the same as the the CR-2510 Fully Serrated Edge, Rounded Tip model.

The CRKT Bear Claw can be found for around $26. I wouldn't consider it high priced.

True, I didn't realy notice....
Posted by: coffeeII on Aug-21-03 7:28 PM (EST)
the CR-2510. You have a good point about the "safe tip". I don't think $26 is expensive either, I was just trying to list a less costly-similar quality piece.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Do you own a file?
Posted by: bnystrom on Aug-22-03 10:04 AM (EST)
It's not difficult to turn a pointed blade into a blunt-tipped blade. Five minutes with a file should do the trick. I've done it on several knives.

Excellent tip!!!!
Posted by: coffeeII on Aug-22-03 10:49 AM (EST)
Tip as in "suggestion"...lol.

Northman was just commenting to me, on doing that to one of his knives. My only objection was:

If it is a $30-$40 knife & it is still new...... I would give it some "good use" before filing it down??

Paddle easy,

Coffee

I agree that bearclaw is a neat one
Posted by: joemess on Aug-22-03 6:12 AM (EST)
One improvement I would like to see is a smidge larger or better designed handle. The current one does not fit my hand well enough to let me feel at ease using it when have wet cold hands. That being said,. The aggressivness of the cutting edge on the bladeis an attractive pull.

Oh, and you list was great. The lever-lock rescue knife may be in my kit before long.....

Thanks All for this Thread........
Posted by: gnomon on Aug-23-03 6:58 PM (EST)
it's been a bit of an inspiration to me- I just ordered a Myerchin Shark- for $20 (discounted price)it seems like a whole lot of added security in a minimally-sized package: all utility and no flashy crap. I'll post a review when it comes.
Thanks-
~Glenn

Meyerchin Shark
Posted by: merline on Aug-23-03 9:03 PM (EST)
How did you get a discount? It is listed at $29.95 on their website, and no mention of $20, or any discount, even when I put it into a shopping cart for purchase.

Thanks...

merlin

This was the best deal I could find.....
Posted by: gnomon on Aug-23-03 10:03 PM (EST)
(insert standard disclaimer, not associated in any way, blah, blah)on the web on their knives:
http://www.knifepro.com/product.asp?ProdID=102453&CtgID=
Best-
~Glenn

big yellow handle
Posted by: pamskee on Aug-23-03 10:11 PM (EST)
hi--

I chose a Gerber with a big, yellow handle because it is easy to see and easy to hold with gloves on. I have trouble with my grip when my hands get cold (lots of people do) and this one is easy to hang onto and gets good leverage. Has a hook and serrated edge on top, blunt tip and is holding an edge so far. I use mine and clean it fairly often.
I'm still deciding how to wear it. It's a big honker and gets in the way of cross strokes when I wear it on my PFD. I may try it on my upper arm. It has 2 straps, so it is stable when pulling the knife from the locking sheath. It also has a nice hole for a lanyard.
I've taken some flak for having this obnoxious looking thing, but I take a page from Red Green and tell 'em "If it ain't handsome, it better be handy". :)

You can use my knife...
Posted by: Overeasy on Aug-24-03 9:43 AM (EST)
If you can find it. It's at the bottom of the lake after wearing it on my pfd for only 2 weeks. I forgot to remove it while I was prac

Here is what I have clipped to my PFD
http://www.1sks.com/store/crkt-bear-claw-info.html

removes from scabbard with one hand, blunt tip, serrated edge. It cuts through lines like butter and not expensive if it gets lost.

Check out this article about
keeping your knife ON your pfd rather than in a pocket of your pfd.

http://www.useakayak.org/reflections_cockpit.html

wenoka z-lock,is a great knife
with a lock scabbard that actually works.unfortunatly they don’t make them anymore but occasionly you see one on e-bay.do not by it’s current manufactured model made by seaquest who took a great knife and scabbard and cheapened it.they come in sizes ranging from dainty to dinosuar killer, the mid 80’s models are work horses.

All makes sense to me
Im with his theory, have one handy but tucked away.

Brian

I keep mine…
in reach on the for-deck of my boat.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

keep my
gerber river knife on my pfd. Could have used it last weekend but was using a borrowed pfd for a short while.

Thanks and Observations
CoffeeII, great thanks. Looks like alot to read through might take a little while to do so. The basic research is indeed done, now I have to narrow it down, how much do you charge for That :’)

Here’s an observation. Seems like one of the reasons people are so worried about carrying a sheathed knife on the outside of a PFD is they are afraid of accidental injury. Funny thing is, I’ve seen as many reports of that happening, as I have of people actually using thier knives, about 0! ha ha!

Northman, want to share what you would have used your knife for last week if you would have had it with you? Thanks all.

Widening the subject
Just for the readers sake…what is the PFD mounted knife intended to be used for ? I have my reasons, fishing lines, hooks and lures hanging from trees, mooring lines and bridges and possibilty of getting my rudder hung up on a lobster/crab trap marker and line but what are the reasons in your paddling world.

Brian

Northman’s adventure…
Longshadow (using Northman’s boat) & I were playing in some classII & I was getting tired out, so I let Northman take my boat & PFD to join the fun. He made afew good runs and got “suckered” and capsized. While he was under water (looking for his sunglasses… hehehe), he got tangled up in the paddle leash. Luckily he was pushed into some shallows & up against some rocks where he could untangle himself & get uprighted.

Kinda scary for afew minutes, but everything was ok. We called it a “pefect exicutin of a wet exit”.

Longshadow made a daring rescue directly after the incodent. Like a superhero he leaped into the boat & paddled like a 10 time world champion over to the rumbling water. Looking death straight in the eye, he reached over the side & into the deep grasping the victim & pulling (with the strength of a dozen gods) the soaked bystandard out of the water. The victim was my bailing sponge which had come out of the boat during Northman’s incodent.

That is the story in short…LOL!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

If I had my pfd

– Last Updated: Jul-23-04 9:07 PM EST –

I could have cut the paddle leash away and been above water faster than I was. Also I learned to stay in my boat only with bigger water. I tossed the paddle as I went over thinking it was mounted same side as mine. Nope just the oppposite. Lesson learned and no real injury .

The origional and still the best

– Last Updated: Jul-23-04 10:22 PM EST –

HANDS DOWN The Gerber Blackie Collins Cliplock River knife. Still seen everywhere there are real river guides and serious river conditions where rescue work is a true necesity (Z Drags and all) http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?GB5301 Such a NO BRAINER! The knife is so good it will outlive the owner by many many years.

yep thats the model I carry

Please grind that tip down
before we to paddling.

BTW I agree, a fixed blade is the only way to go.

If my knife gets used it is a life and death matter, so I do not use my rescue knife for other purposes. It stays sharp. I can always carry another knife in a day hatch or pack.

already did. No accidental jabbing
to my self or others. Pfds don’t work with large holes in em.

Don’t
Don’t clip your knive to your vest. It will only get in the way and you can lose it that way. Stick it in your vest pocket. It will only take a few seconds more to get it and you much less chance of losing it.

But what else…
…is in that pocket that you will loose while digging for that knife at a critical moment?

Another issue: tethering. Easy to have a knife slip out of your hand at the worst possible moment, but if you keep it on a tether that introduce another element…

gerber
i’ve got the double-edged rivermaster. i use it for coastal canoe touring. nice knife. compact and utilitarian. BTW, i heard an old-time Everglades fisherman and gator hunter say that bacon fat will protect knives and other metals better than any oil he’s ever used. he’s used it on knives and guns for about 60 years.