Best sealant for skeg cable passway in BH behind seat

NDK/SKUK Pilgrim Expedition often gets some water in the dayhatch after lots of rolling. Never happens otherwise.

I noticed one day that the little locknut securing the cable sheath at the hole was loose, and I tightened it. But a little bit of water still got into the dayhatch anyway. I suspect the hole was not sealed, or inadequately sealed.

Thinking this is an easy fix, but which sealant would be best for this purpose? I am adding it to the list of winter projects.

Lexel is one of the most recommended. Sikaflex is another.

On my NDK I had the little bolts with nuts that go around the hatch rims leaking. I resealed them with 3m 4200. it worked BUT lexal would work too and easy to use.

3m 5200 is bullet proof. Hard to remove

Another vote for Lexel. Works great, easy to use, easier to remove than 3M if you need to.

@dc9mm said:
On my NDK I had the little bolts with nuts that go around the hatch rims leaking. I resealed them with 3m 4200. it worked BUT lexal would work too and easy to use.

Be careful when working with these screws, as over-tightening them is the primary cause of split hatch rings. The tapered screw heads wedge the flange apart. Their only purpose is to hold the hatch ring in place while the sealant dries at the factory. Frankly, you’d probably be best off to remove the screws and fill the holes with sealant. As long as the hatch ring is properly bonded to the deck, you don’t need the screws. Then again, you never know with an NDK boat…